By pchrisbosh1
Its been awhile since I've done a build and decided to do a quick and easy Ecto Goggles build for Halloween. This is will be a 3D printed build using NotSabbat's files off of Thingiverse which are some pretty great files. I'm also using I believe WShawn's lenses. Here what I got so far which isn't much.....

Here are the snaps which I believe were used on the original military frames
They are pretty much antique now but you might be lucky to find a bag on Ebay there are some other alternatives but these are pretty spot on

That's it for now but I should have some updates soon. :cool:
By Rob1
I just purchased a box of these snaps the other day in hopes that they were the propper ones. Seems this may be so. I have the actual foam that uses these snaps. I do however find that the holes in the frame skirt don’t seem to line up with the snaps on the foam. Will see once the snaps come in.
By NotSabbat
I am super stoked that the community is enjoying the goggle files! Glad Im giving back. I should have a real PVS-5 frame soon thanks to evallded. Ill check the measurements to the 3d printed files to see how close I got. Cole, feel free to do the same when you get yours. Always good to get a chance to make things more accurate.
Rob1, Cole Funstuff liked this
By NotSabbat
Not to hijack your thread, but I recently got a real PVs-5 frame and did some side by side shots next to an in process 3d printed frame. There are some obvious differences, like the curve along the bottom and I took too much off of the bottom lip, but all in all its VERY close.

The difference in width:

Ill make some updates when I get a chance. I also know Cole is working on a scan. So good stuff coming.
By pchrisbosh1
Thanks guys for the comments. You were pretty close without the actual frames. Now that you might be doing some modifications I might just hold up and build the new updated frames you put out which is pretty exciting. Keep us posted.
By NotSabbat
I hope you continue with it. maybe make it so the frame can be swapped out? Im enjoying your build and I hate to see you put the breaks on it. Besides it will be well after October before Im able to sit down and do serious modifications to the file.
By pchrisbosh1
Hello again everybody and no worries NotSabbat I decided to get them done, thank you for sharing your files. Today I finished the goggles and here are some of the phases the goggles went through from start to finish with some tips to share. Hope it's helpful and you enjoy.

As with pretty much any 3D printed part it always goes through what I call the spoty putty bath (bath, sand, and bath again as many times until I'm satisfied with overall finish)
Starting to look smooth now...I still think it went through a couple more baths
Now it's starting to look pretty good. I also built the attachment for the webbing with some thin scrap aluminum I had laying around and tried to mimic the rivets used on the GB1 goggles.
Did an outline out of some quarter inch craft foam to use for the lining of the goggles. The actual foam when finished was just super glued to the frames.
I used some clear plastic I got from hobby lobby to cut the lenses. I think I used some washers I had to get the right sizes to trace for the lenses. I scored them out with a razor blade and used a dremel to finish the job.
Now I'm just dry fitting the lenses and started a mild clean up process on the lenses.
I used 4-40 screws and cut out some small sections to fit inside the lense nubs x4 total.
Starting to look pretty now but still needs some clean up.
Were getting there......started the paint work and getting the misc parts ready to go on
Lenses look decent enough for me. Let's start putting this together now.
Finally finished. Took about a month to finish but that's just putting a little time here and there in between work though out that time.
That's all folks. Until next time good afternoon, good evening, and goodnight!
JWils23, Kingpin, NotSabbat and 2 others liked this
By Rob1
How did you go about gluing those side knobs on? I have the GBFans version and super glue didn't work. I've just tried contact cement which holds them on but they don't seem permanent. The bottom two are 3D printed and super glue holds them solid!
By WShawn
Very nice job! I think I like your paint job on the lenses more than I like mine. Yours look to have a tiny bit more glossiness, which I think I prefer.

Shawn
twmedford23 liked this
By WShawn
Could you offer some detail on how you installed the big snaps onto your visor? Just installing that one decorative chrome snap on the right side was daunting on mine. The little kit mandrel that's supposed to support the back of the snap while you hammer the tube that holds in the front can't fit in that recess, so I think I clamped some piece of metal with a vice to give me something to hammer against. I was really worried I'd break the plastic visor.

Shawn
twmedford23 liked this
By pchrisbosh1
WShawn wrote: October 27th, 2019, 3:52 pm Could you offer some detail on how you installed the big snaps onto your visor? Just installing that one decorative chrome snap on the right side was daunting on mine. The little kit mandrel that's supposed to support the back of the snap while you hammer the tube that holds in the front can't fit in that recess, so I think I clamped some piece of metal with a vice to give me something to hammer against. I was really worried I'd break the plastic visor.

Shawn
I understand and I had the same dilemma. What I did was a little unconventional but it worked and did the trick. The 3D printed frame I did had only like 15 percent infill so it was pretty hollow and any riveting or snap kits would have damaged the frame. All I did was used some 6-32 small screws I got from Lowes and put it through the snap and bolted it from the back of the frame like so........

The craft foam I used still went on smoothly over the bolts when glued on. All the other snaps that weren't being used were super glued on.
Last edited by pchrisbosh1 on October 30th, 2019, 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
WShawn, alphabeta001 liked this
By pchrisbosh1
NotSabbat wrote: October 27th, 2019, 7:45 pm Nice work! I do believe that they look better than the set that I made for myself. Well done!

Thank you sir appreciate it. I still find it strange and surreal that I could just 3d print cool parts like this and more then that....as many times as I want for virtually free. 12 years ago or so when I started out there was little to no Ecto goggle kits that were very accurate. Now you could 3d print pretty accurate looking frames and other parts inexpensively. Thanks for making these available, I look forward to the revised version.
NotSabbat liked this
By NotSabbat
I have pretty solid Proton Pack files as well. I have to get it all together, but eventually Ill upload those as well.
By WShawn
All I did was used some 6-32 small screws I got from Lowes and put it through the snap and bolted it from the back of the frame like so........

Very clever solution, good job!

Shawn
    Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]