By Ectobond
Supporting Member
I recently purchased a Volvo station wagon after moving back to my hometown after a decade away (much of it in Hawaii [aloha Ghostbuster ohana]) When I first saw the car, I immediately thought of how to make it an ecto. I also noticed it looked like the ecto 1 and BTTF Delorean.

Now, my Dad and I are bonding over the opportunity to do our first vehicle prop-- The ecto Volvo. (Still working on it's designation number)
Last edited by Ectobond on July 9th, 2018, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Ectobond
Supporting Member
For our first weekend of work, we assembled a basket out of PVC, as it is cheap amd easy to work with. Attached to the basket is a ladder and a storage tube (both also of PVC)

The unit so far is attached to the roof rack on my car via zip tie currently. The basket holds up nicely at 55Mph and it also survived a car wash.

Our next plan is to sand and coat the PVC in trick bed liner and begin working on the Freon tanks.

Here is an imgur link

http://imgur.com/gallery/d8nYTlm
Last edited by Ectobond on July 9th, 2018, 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Ectobond
Supporting Member
Also, I am looking into green beacons instead of the light bars. This is cheaper in the long run, [maybe] easier with the man, and I feel better using creative liberties to lean into the fact that I am not building the ecto 1, but my own ecto.

As for my franchise argument to deviating from GB standards, I feel using green lights differentiates Ghostbusters from police, fire, and medical services. (This might avoid police issues.) Green also has hazmat applications (Ectos carry a lot of hazmat) it also has a nice supernatural feel to it.
By Ectobond
Supporting Member
Today, we coated the basket in truck bed liner, which adds a nice rugged look to the basket. This also makes the Volvo look more rugged in general.

After costing the basket, we set out to add the tanks to the side. Each tank is made out of a length of 4 inch PVC tube with end caps on either side. The green tube is actually pistachio and the yellow is the brightest yellow I could find. Both colors were krylon from Lowes. Next we will tackle the components inside the basket. I also have materials to tackle the gurney.

I decided to use the designated Ecto V.

http://imgur.com/gallery/MnGfDte
One time, jpetrutis81 liked this
By Ectobond
Supporting Member
Today, we added the radome and gauges for the freon tanks.

The radome was my Dad's baby. We used a metal cup from a tiki torch as the dome and put a PVC cap over the opening. This was painted a matte white and bolted to a pair of brackets we found in the garage. We added a spring and made some coiled wire for the unit which is adjustable. We used red electrical tape for the stripes and clear coated it. This is my favorite piece.

I bought the gauges at Wal Mart in the automotive section. The day slime on the face, which is a win. The stem is threaded, so we screwed it into a hole we drilled in the tank. Also a win.

On a sad note, my radiator completely ruptured today... awesome.

Imgur link
http://imgur.com/gallery/AyNLkgR
By Matt Campbell
Sorry to hear about you radiator, but it seems like nice work so far, keep it up!
By Ectobond
Supporting Member
Thanks! We hope the car doesn't have any engine problems. This does give us a chance to spend some time on the drawing board.

Hopefully the shipping company will finally deliver my packs so we can start on the gurney.
By Ectobond
Supporting Member
Great News Everybody!

The radiator has been fixed. Tonight, we added support feet to the rack and found parts for the sniffer and the blue hoses.

The blue hose is a pool hose from Lowes and the sniffer will be made of a grey plastic electrical box with PVC pipes. I will only paint the pipes red.

Now, I just need to figure out how I'm mounting the hose.
jpetrutis81 liked this

Can update my location now. I'm now in Hertfordshi[…]

New From San Antonio, TX

Hello an welcome :cool:

Hi from Alabama!

Hello from California!