If you have one, you don't need it. If you need one, you don't have it. If you have one, you need more of it. If you have more of it, you don't need less of it. You need one to get it. And you certainly need one to get more of it. But if you don't already have any of it to begin with, you can't get any of it to get started which means you really have no idea how to get one in the first place, do you? You can share one sure. You can even stockpile them if you'd like. But you can't fake it. Wanting one, needing one, wishing for one. The point is, if you've never had one, ever, people just seem to know.

CONGLATURATION!!! You have completed a great Ecto And have jooined the ranks of our great subculture. Now go and rest our engines!

Also, post memorable, funny, or interesting stories about things that have happened while you were driving or riding around in an Ecto! This thread is a lot like the weirdest thing someone said to you while in your gear, except this one is capitalized and not worded so it sounds like it's asking what someone else did while wearing your stuff. That's because we are Ecto owners, and we're better than that. So yeah, I want to hear it all. Hell, even if you just went out in your car tonight and someone gave you a thumbs up or asked if you were really a Ghostbuster, post it in this thread.

I'll start out with some of the things I've mentioned before!:

"There ain't no tornadoes in October.... oh shit, Ghostbusters."

Shouted from a wrecker in the lane next to us: "You know, the lights on the movie car were green."

"Don't cross the beams!"

In 2009 we had a huuuge rash of people shouting "Whatcha gonna do!" at the car.

*Random guy on the highway* "What happened to the Subaru?"

Guy runs up to the car to get his picture with the door logo, pounds Kris' fist and goes, "Dude, this is the shittest f****g shit ever!"

Augh, shit man get your head out of my car!

"Are you guys actually real terminators?"

Guy in the back of a car: "Hey hey! Where's Danny Glover?"
What?
"Danny Glover, where is he?"
I think he's hanging out with Mel Gibson.
"Mel Gibson wasn't in Ghostbusters."
Neither was Danny Glover.
Another guy in that car, to the first guy: "Hahaha, you stupid Dominican"
Ernest Reid liked this
I love when I get to a place and people want me to run the lights and music.

I attend a event called Geek Show that is on the last Sunday of every month and I take Ecto to it and people want to dance in the parking lot around the car.

When I drive Ecto on the freeway, I have people matching speed with the car to take pictures.

I was on time stopped at a light and someone from three cars back, ran up ot Ecto to take pictures before the intersection light changed.

When I placed my Ecto in a Christmas parade, I had three types of people in the crowd. The "Who ya gonna call?" crowd. The "What the hell?" crowd and finally the "Why?" crowd. That was a great time.

Great thread Boomer, when I think of more stories I'll post.
People think they can stop traffic to take pictures, or they expect me to not drive off at a green light just so they can take a picture.

I NEVER stop the car to "pose" for camera phones. f*** that shit.

One of my favorite instances is where I am in the center-most lane of a road when someone is trying to take a picture, and another car pulls up in the next lane over, effectively blocking the shot of the photographer. This is the best when the photographer starts to scream at the other driver, and a brief fight ensues.
Driving towards downtown, we were going through a neighborhood to go up an alley, and there was a guy standing on the sidewalk in a suit, playing a tuba very slowly. He looked at us, we looked at him, and he continued to play.

NEVER 4GET.
Ernest Reid liked this
I was driving to applebee's about a week ago to meet a buddy of mine. I had noticed a car franticly chasing me, even runnig lights to follow me. When i pulled in and park, the car pulls in behind me and a screaming girl jumps out, points and tells her boyfriend, "SEE!!! I told you all i wasn't crazy!!! They DO exist!" She had told me and my buddy she had followed me the other day but got stuck behind a light and this time was on a mission to find me........
Ernest Reid liked this
WAY too many stories, but here's one of my favorites.

While we were filling up the tank with gas, this little kid asks his mom "What's that?" while pointing at our car, and walking over. The mom explains "That's the Ghostbusters! They get rid of ghosts and the boogeyman." The kid's eyes got really wide and he truned to his mom and shreiked "YOU SAID GHOSTS WEREN'T REAL!!!" He began to cry, and Dustin turned to the mom and simply said "I'm not paying for therapy."
Stopped at my grandmother's on the way home from a parade to show them the car up close. We're just getting ready to leave when this car pulls in the driveway and this lady gets out and comes running up to the car followed by her husband. Here they went by and she saw it and actually made him turn around to come back to see it. All he kept saying was "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." Told him don't be sorry, just glad people enjoy it.
Just some advice and fair warning for those who want to do their own Ecto conversion: Where ever you go, plan to leave half an hour early. You WILL get more attention than you can fit into a normal time schedual.
Love this thread! I was out on the ped one day, a guy honked his horn at me and asked point blank how much my fees were. The funny thing was, I couldn't tell if the guy was serious or not. I just handed him my card and told him to call me. "JL5-5050".
Boomerjinks wrote: I NEVER stop the car to "pose" for camera phones. f*** that shit.
I feel the same way. I love seeing "Bigfoot" pictures of my car show up online somewhere. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBnwtB9rnNQ That's my favorite part of it. Being like Spider-Man.

I don't take mine out that much anymore because sometimes I get really annoyed at people. People aren't very creative. Pretty much everyone screams "who you gonna call?" - it only works if you're a sorority girl. You can't stop for gas, you can't have the windows down at red lights. It's bitter sweet a lot of the time. It's like being famous. People want to talk to you and take pictures with you who you don't know.

One thing I really don't like, though, is when people follow me home. One time this guy followed me for like.. 20 miles and wouldn't leave once I stopped at my house.

I can't complain, though, I built the damn thing.
1965Ambulance wrote: I feel the same way.
No kidding. You know it'll never turn out looking good, and if traffic is moving I'm not going to sit around and wait for a goddamn cell picture.
1965Ambulance wrote: One thing I really don't like, though, is when people follow me home. One time this guy followed me for like.. 20 miles and wouldn't leave once I stopped at my house.
I used to be very paranoid about this. I would never straight home if there was a car behind me within two blocks of the house. It's less of a concern for me now since I'm not in a college town and I live in a neighborhood filled with old people.

I'm usually very relaxed when I'm driving around with someone else in the car, but if it's just me I can sometimes get anxious at stop lights. Often times there's someone next to me just staring at a car while at a light, and I'm in no mood to interact. It's the reason I finally got around to tinting my front windows so heavily, though it hasn't made a huge impact on the situation.

I'm fine with rolling my windows down to talk to people, but if they wave at me and I wave back, then they're just staring at me for the remaining three minutes of the light, it feels awkward.

After years of doing it, it's very easy to tell when someone genuinely wants to talk to you or they just want to be a smartass. The Outback used to get one negative comment for every ten or so, and I found that simply pretending like we didn't know what car we were in was a pretty good defense mechanism.

example: "Are you guys really Ghostbusters?"
...what's a Ghostbusters?

REALLY funny, though; there's a bar in downtown Denver called "Shag," and it's pretty much a prime spot for douchebags, hipsters, and general assholes. Real pricks. There's a stoplight right in front of it, and we'd find ourselves stopped there almost every night we headed downtown. There was always some drunk f*** who wanted to let us know how much he hated Ghostbusters, and we'd antagonize them regularly.

"You guys are dorks!"
WHAT?
"You guys are dorks!"
...WHAT?
"YOU GUYS ARE f****g DORKS!"
.... THANK YOU!
"NO, f*** YOU!"
WHAT?
"f*** YOU"
THANKS! *thumbs up*

And then they'd look for something to throw at us.

If someone flips you off, give them a thumbs-up or wave excitedly. GodDAMN does that piss them off.

Now we cruise by in the Magnum and get nothing but waves, thumbsups, and photos. Weird how much the base car makes a difference.

So what are some of the WORST experiences you've had in your Ectos? Worst thing someones said to you?

Also, if I started a monthly photo contest, would you guys participate?
Worst experience - Someone heard about my car was excited to see it, when they did see it, they just went - "It's not a hearse." and then walked away without me explaining.

I would love to do a monthly photo contest.
I really havn't gotten any negative comments... although i did have some douch tell me, "thats not the station wagon they used in the movie." And yes, a monthly photo contest sounds GREAT!
Had a very good time cruising downtown last night. Visited a friend out at Colorado Mills and then came back toward the metro area for Avatar 3D. After that we drove down Colfax to downtown, at around 1:30. Usually the bar crowd gets more belligerent and hostile the closer you get to 2am, when the bars empty and the cops just want everyone to go home.

But last night was very very jubilant. Good times.

"We are Denver, all of us. We all are. Denver is us. If you don't like it, leave it." Yessir, drunken brother. Yessir.

"You guys shoots aliens with that thing?" You better believe it. ALIENS.
wow, some people can be either obsessed or stupid :P

The stupid ones - well, I feel sorry for them.

Or you can whip out your Proton Pack and scare the sh*t outta them :D
We had the ECTO at the house the other day for the first time, and a guy stopped by and asked us all kinds of questions.. the funniest being.
“Do you guys let kids up there on the roof to shoot the gun??”

Also, on the way to our first Orlando event we were going south on I-95 when this car flew past us (we were in the slow lane of course). We then see the car slam on the brakes a few cars in front of us and yank the car to the side of the road. We pass them and look in the rear view and see them accelerate and pull the car back on to the road. A few seconds later the car is next to us with a person hanging out the window taking pics of the car...
What awesome driving……ugh..lol
ThePinkGhostbuster wrote: “Do you guys let kids up there on the roof to shoot the gun??”
LOL Florida

I really do love the "car blows past, slams on breaks for pictures" moments. Hilarious.
The other day I parked downtown in front of a shop, when I came out of the shop to go back to the car a guys standing there freaking out. He says, "holy shit! HOLY SHIT! This is awesome man! I f****g LOVE Stormchasers!!!! I watch it all the time! Is that remote control plane that flies above the tornado in the back?" My response: "Ummm no it's still at the airport, but thanks for watching!"

I was eating outside at a fast food joint and a mom and her kid walked by the car. The kid yells GHOSTBUSTERS! and runs toward the car, then his mom grabs him and says "Dont go near that thing it says radioactive on the roof, that car's dangerous!"

But my favorite recent one was when the city did their last "night out against crime". They always bring out the Model T paddy wagon and the 1928 fire truck for these things, the mayor makes a speech etc. Anyway I planned to crash it, park the car nearby, stand in uniform with the police and firemen, that sort of thing. As I pulled in front of city hall a cop flagged me down and told me to pull in behind the Paddy Wagon. As I got out of the car I asked, "You sure this is cool?" he said, "Of course it's cool....your the f****g Ghostbusters!"

Unfortunatly no pics of the car there, but I did snipe this one from the CITY OF MACON'S website!

A month or so prior to that we were at a "Project Unity" event with the Sheriff's department and the mayor of Macon (Who till then only knew me as one of the local news reporters) pulls up and runs over to me saying "I didn't know you were a Ghostbuster! Hell I think we should swap jobs!" So here's a pic of us with the Mayor and his wife (again from the city's website)

Chace - That's just frigging awesome.

On last Sunday, I went up to another GB group to help start building proton packs. We went to Home Depot to get some MDF board and a guy pulls up with his family and asked what we did for a living, we of course said we catch ghosts and laughed about it. The guy then insisted on taking pictures of the car for his buddies at work. Then we went back and parked Ecto in front of his house, during the that time, we saw so many cars driving slowly by and taking pictures.

The best one are the subtle drivers, they are looking straight ahead but are secretly taking a picture of the car. I had a guy drive alongside and he looked straight ahead, but his iPhone was barely above the bottom window edge and we could tell he was taking a pic or video of the car.

Fun times.
Random lady: "Aww, its the Echo1 (ugh), how cute."
Me: "We're not cute Mam, we're professionals."

Normally I keep the roof rack and markings off the Ecto-4 so it's EMS response ready.
The day we switched to digital cable, the cable technician happend to spot the rack with radiation warning labels, a couple proton packs in various stages of assembly, and the electronics for them in my garage.
With no ghostbusters logos or uniforms nearby, the tech automatically assumed "terrorist", and nearly called the cops. Took a bit of explaining to get out of that one.
GothicGeek liked this
"You stupid Dominican!" OMG, that's funny.

I'm a full time magician, so I know what it's like running into the douchebags of the world. Some people just can't enjoy the fun things in life.

I have a fantastic restoration guy that is doing my Mystery Machine (1968 Chevy Van). We've been discussing the Ecto-1. So, hopefully that will be my next project (unless my neighbor sells me his early 80's Firebird - then it's KITT!)

Good times.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]