I get "so do you really hunt ghosts?" a lot more than I would like, and I'm trying to craft a snarky but not dickish response. I'm not having much luck. The best I have so far is "I don't hunt after nonexistent ghosts. By the time I get called, they've made themselves quite obvious."
Today, I encountered a second person who referred to the equipment on the car as "Ectoplasm" and asked if it were removable to 'use as guns'. She also referred to the car as "Echo-1" in a following sentence.

Anyone have any good Ectoplasm design guides?
Fifthrider liked this
TexasBuster wrote:Today, I encountered a second person who referred to the equipment on the car as "Ectoplasm" and asked if it were removable to 'use as guns'. She also referred to the car as "Echo-1" in a following sentence.

Anyone have any good Ectoplasm design guides?
Reminds me of the people that think Gozer's name was Zuul and always laugh when I tell them Zuul was just Gozer's dog.

Not everyone likes to be named after their dog!
Well, except that one female friend I have, but she does not count because her parents actually named the dog Indy and she likes to be called that!
I was two when the movie came out, so it took me awhile to really understand what was going on. My perception was that a lady showed up and made Stay Puft from the cartoon appear and the overweight weird real life Ghostbusters blew it up.

I saw the cartoon first, basically...And I was really young.

So I had no clue who was Gozer or Zuul or anyone else.

The Ghostbusters NES/PC game actually refers to Gozer/Final Boss as "Zuul", so I thought she was "Zuul" for years.
I think it's also the movie's fault because Zuul is spoken so many times in the movie. Dana says it, Zuul says it, all the guys research it.

As kids, we also though the 'dogs' were "Gozers". I guess Gozer just sounded like a dog name.

This has nothing to do with my car.
Tonight after work I swung by a gas station to grab some beer. As I walked out I saw a girl around 25 yo or so, who looked like a meth head, headed straight for my Ecto with her mom (who looked like Large Marge from Pee Wee's Big Adventure) following closely behind. The girl LOOKED like she was gonna walk right up to the door till she realized I was headed to the car too....

Girl: What is this?

Me: It's a car.

Girl: What kind of car?

Me: A Dodge.

Girl: But WHAT IS IT?

Me: Ghostbusters.

Girl: What's the stuff on top?

Me: Various types of detection equipment.

Girl: Are you the police?

Me: No ma'am, we're musicians. (I couldn't resist the Blues Brothers setup)

Girl: What?

Me: No.

Girl: WELL SHOW ME WHAT THIS DOES AND HOW IT WORKS!!!!!

Me: I'm sorry I'm kind of in a hurry, have yourself a great night.

I close my door and crank the car

Girl to her Mother: I mean why's it have police lights? (Then she notices the JL5 phone number on the car) MOM! Write that number down! We're gonna complain! He was RUDE!!!!
zeta otaku, Donkey8012, Fifthrider and 6 others liked this
Nice !!!!!!!!

Well my Ecto is not even completed yet and its parked in front of the house and i get people stopping asking ?s and taking pic's..

oddly enough this only started after i put the no ghost on the doors ...

THE POWER OF THE NO GHOST LOGO!!!!

Trust me starting in late Oct I will rant about driving it around
ok trailed the Ecto to Modesto for a GB 4k showing ... Pic from people in passing cars on the freeway on the way up... No big deal ... It was about 11pm when loaded up and headed home from Modesto ....

here is the part that I find funny ....

There was people taking pic of us trailing it home .... why do people think a cell pic from a car away in the dark going down the freeway at 70mph going to come out ???

also found out the top of the radome stands 2in taller than a 8foot overhang....Opps
Fifthrider, Chace liked this
I was driving to a friend's house on Saturday to pick him up for a Halloween parade. I pass a house with a realtor and some people just walking up the driveway to go shake her hand. They all stop and look at me as I cruise past. I flicked on the PA and said "The one house we couldn't save.... Good luck." and keep going.

No idea how that turned out once I passed.
JoeLuna33, Chace, Ecto-Fire and 5 others liked this
The best thing that happened to me while driving around in town with my Ecto was some college girls running up to me to have their picture taken with my car in a parking lot and telling me how amazing it looked. The worst thing that has happened so far was I was at a convention displaying my vehicle outside the main entrance and i could hear another Ecto car owner from this forum talking crap about my car to the fans at the convention. (I will not name him since he would only get pleasure for his bullying efforts.) He was telling people my Ecto was not up to his high standards and that I was lazy and just slapped decals on it. I worked hard to make my vehicle look good and his negative comments were immature and not appreciated.
I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I love the "Only in _________" phenomena. I see tons of photos snapped of the Magnum and it's always #onlyinboulder or #onlyindenver or Colorado. During roadtrips we heard stuff like "ONLY IN CHICAGO WOOOO" and I've seen photos from Los Angeles, New York, etc tagged the same. Some people can't comprehend that these things are everywhere.

And on the other side of the coin, I've had people come up to me while I'm parking the car or paying a meter and ask if I've seen the Ecto Magnum at Denver Comic Con and all the other conventions in town, which boggles my mind even more I suppose. "No, that must be some.... different Ecto Magnum!"
jackdoud, Donkey8012, zeta otaku and 2 others liked this
The only response I'd want to give a kid if they make a comment about ghosts being reals is to ask "Have you see any ghosts" and if they say No just grin and say"Exactly" or "you're welcome" or "Then we're doing our job".

And yeah ,trash talking someone's hard work is never cool, especially going out of your way for it like that.
Boomerjinks wrote:I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I love the "Only in _________" phenomena. I see tons of photos snapped of the Magnum and it's always #onlyinboulder or #onlyindenver or Colorado. During roadtrips we heard stuff like "ONLY IN CHICAGO WOOOO" and I've seen photos from Los Angeles, New York, etc tagged the same. Some people can't comprehend that these things are everywhere.

And on the other side of the coin, I've had people come up to me while I'm parking the car or paying a meter and ask if I've seen the Ecto Magnum at Denver Comic Con and all the other conventions in town, which boggles my mind even more I suppose. "No, that must be some.... different Ecto Magnum!"
Yeah, that drives me nuts. I was in Oklahoma visiting my folks last July while they were running a firework stand and my Jeep got tagged "only in a country town"

This town has been here since the 20s. This is the first Ghostbusters-anything to ever be in this town. I have never seen anther one of these cars around, let alone in this small town. I don't even live here. Why is this only in a country town? At least mistake me for a storm chaser and tag it that way.
zeta otaku liked this
TexasBuster wrote:
Boomerjinks wrote:I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I love the "Only in _________" phenomena. I see tons of photos snapped of the Magnum and it's always #onlyinboulder or #onlyindenver or Colorado. During roadtrips we heard stuff like "ONLY IN CHICAGO WOOOO" and I've seen photos from Los Angeles, New York, etc tagged the same. Some people can't comprehend that these things are everywhere.

Yeah, that drives me nuts. I was in Oklahoma visiting my folks last July while they were running a firework stand and my Jeep got tagged "only in a country town"

This town has been here since the 20s. This is the first Ghostbusters-anything to ever be in this town. I have never seen anther one of these cars around, let alone in this small town. I don't even live here. Why is this only in a country town? At least mistake me for a storm chaser and tag it that way.
I'm guessing small town country cops on a power trip. Sad to see this happen outside of movies and TV.
I think you misunderstand my post. I'm talking about instagram tags. I was adding on to what Boomer was talking about.

The only time I've been pulled over was in Oklahoma and the chief just wanted a picture 'pulling over the Ghostbusters'. My momentary heart attack is worth a good photo op, I guess.
kurisu7885 wrote:I'm guessing small town country cops on a power trip. Sad to see this happen outside of movies and TV.
... What?
TexasBuster wrote:I think you misunderstand my post. I'm talking about instagram tags. I was adding on to what Boomer was talking about.

The only time I've been pulled over was in Oklahoma and the chief just wanted a picture 'pulling over the Ghostbusters'. My momentary heart attack is worth a good photo op, I guess.
Oh, I completely misunderstood, sorry.
Thus far I have had too many reactions to the Ecto 2b to qoute, but my all time favorite has been being stopped by the police just to get a picture while I was at a gas station. My other favorite has been a guy outside of our local bar who asked me what services we provide.
xSadisticSmilex wrote: My other favorite has been a guy outside of our local bar who asked me what services we provide.
You should have answered with: "Paranormal investigations and eliminations!"
So the Ecto-1J has a 5 trumpet air powered Dixie horn on it (because I'm a redneck) and I had two interesting experiences with it this weekend.

The first is I was driving by a restaurant. There was a mom and three kids standing outside. One of the kids pointed at the ecto and said, "What's that?" And the mom said, "That's stupid...that's what that is." So I honked the horn as I passed and she yelled, "You're pathetic and you need to grow up!"

What a nice lady.

Later that day I was headed to the grocery store. There's a large comic shop in the same shopping center so I hit the Dixie horn as I passed...then I heard a scream. So I look to my right and apparently the horn (it's pretty loud) had scared a lady who had thrown her eggs up in the air.

And I laughed and laughed.
Walk into a gas station, guy behind the counter is pretty young. I'm sure he's seen a lot of shit working the night shift.

He asks me in kind of a weird judgmental tone "You drive a Ghostbusters car?"

"Nah, I just car jacked it off this nerd with a vacuum cleaner on his back." -Me
zeta otaku, GothicGeek, Matt Campbell and 2 others liked this
So I have had the ECTO-Edge for a few months now and granted that I don't have a light bar yet, it still stands out.

My experiences:

1.) The people who stop, point, smile and laugh. They dig it. I dig it. Everyone is happy.
2.) I've been flashed by a young lady at a stop light with a buddy in the car. Good times.
3.) I've confused people as I work as a volunteer firefighter. I scream up the street in the ECTO, park it, jump on a fire truck. Community scratches it's head and prepares for doomsday.
4.) A friend and I did a charity event as Ghostbusters and before we got fully packed up, a PA speaker with a local radio DJ who was INSIDE the local mall announced us. By the time we walked in the mall doors, we were greeted with cheers. Seriously amazing.
5.) I was in full jumpsuit and had to get gas after a parade that I had just walked. Cashier asked if I was driving an ECTO-1 and since I was getting a car wash, he jokingly mocked me and said, "Oh is it dirty...!?" I pointed and said, "You tell me." He didn't expect to see the car in the parking lot. It was nice EFF YOU moment.

And lastly, my two favorite:

Tonight I was flagged down by a lady in the Walmart parking lot as she was having issues getting into her car. It appears that her keyless entry remote was missing a battery. She was cold, she was flustered, and she was getting upset but saw my car. As I got into it, she asked for my help and said she knew my car as she lived in my neighborhood. I helped her out, figured out her car remote and she was able to get home. It was kind of nice to be known as someone who could help someone in need due to the car.

Secondly:

Earlier this week, I got pulled over by the state highway patrol. I was doing excessive speeding on a major highway as I was on my way to work. I was stressed out due to some life events and zoned out. I saw him creep out of his hiding spot and follow me. The light bar came on. (I wish I had a light bar on mine so we could've dueled along the side of the road. Haha) I pulled over and he approached the car. I had my license ready and it went like this:

Officer: "License?"
Me: *hands license*
Officer: *notices my Fire /Medic jacket* "Oh, we must have been on many calls before!"
Me: "Probably."
O: "How have your calls been?"
M: "Slow. Should pick up with chimneys."
O: "Whats with the car?" *points to my logo on the door*
M: "I do charity work with it for kids."
O: "That's great. I like it."
M: "Thanks."
O: "Have a good weekend."

No warning. No "this is why I pulled you over." I was 15 over speed limit. Truth be told, I didn't know if I should pull away from his cruiser as I'd be followed and cuffed! Haha
So for the past 47 days, I have been at Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota as my daughter was born with a congenital heart defect. Among all the surgeries and procedures, I try to get out and about as much as possible to just blow off steam. Of course, I have a daily driver ECTO and sometimes it has escaped me that I am driving a modern day ECTO. (It's toned down as no light bar is present which I thank every time I go park at Mall of America as they have concrete clearance smashers.)

So far in the Minneapolis area, I have been the talk of Children's with the car and it has made some kids day which has made mine. Her nurses have brought up the fact that they think it's cool that she had a plush Slimer on her bed and "What are the odds that there is someone with an ECTO in the parking ramp?"

I have also had some people give me thumbs up on I-35 which is pretty fun to see. I had one lady ask me to roll down my window at midnight in the ghetto because she wanted to say hello. I declined. Being that Children's is in a really bad spot of town, it's heavily patrolled with police and a lot of them have taken photos of the car as we meet up at lights.

The BEST thing that has happened was driving to Mall of America on Cedar Avenue when I hit a stop light and I saw a young boy looking at me in a daze. He was sort of out of places as he was in "old time clothing" with a drivers cap and black shorts on. He was raking the boulevard between sidewalk and street. I jokingly pointed at him and then to the logo since he looked like a ghost boy. He smiled and then we waved at each other. I am sure he was confused but it made me feel good.

All in all, this odd life event has made me feel a lot better about the hesitation about making my daily driver an ECTO. It has pulled me out of a lot of dark days when I often forget what I am driving and what that logo still means to people.
zeta otaku liked this
By ECTO P71
After having a few days off work and applying all my ECTO P71 decals I was driving to work and there was a protest blocking the street. There was a first responder training going on that was being protested. As I pulled up to a light an officer directing traffic pointed at my car and pointed to the curb. I thought I was being pulled over. I went to the curb and rolled my window down and asked what was going on, the officer responded "Dude! That's awesome! Are you going to the training?" "No, I used to be but I am not anymore." "Right on, mind if I take a picture with your car?" He got a selfie with me and the car and then I said to him "How am I going to get back into traffic?" Officer responded "No worries man, I'll walk you to the front" So he walked me to the front of traffic calling out "Ghostbusters coming through!" And I was put to the front and I honked as all the officers at the front of the training waved at me. That was day 1. Many pictures and thumbs up to people singing the song to me at lights.

I have driven custom low riders, lifted trucks, race cars, muscle cars, mini-trucks, and rally cars on the street. I have NEVER. EVER. gotten as much attention in any of those as I have in my beat up daily driver with a decal kit on it...
Sav C, zeta otaku liked this
venkman30 wrote:Ya most ppl go crazy for our modern day ectos. Just a heads up tho., the attention never stops. Lol. Car looks good by the way.
Thank you so much! I really love driving mine around. I just hope no one gets in a fender bender taking pictures of my car on the road!

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]