By CaptCyan
I did the decal work on the doors (with chins) and the roof, attached the sniffer (pointing forwards this time) and the roof rack. Nothing different from the Wrecto-1 except for the chrome work.

I did a little extra something to the dash this time. The round gauge and clock decals lost all the details when they were shrunk to size, but I did manage to get the speedometer to be readable.

I also added the clutter to the top of the dash

The next step will be to wrestle with the blue hose and attach the ladder. Then I can start to chrome the tail fins.
By CaptCyan
Kingpin wrote:What's the dashboard clutter made out of?

Stellar work.
Thanks!

The "can" is styrene tube cut short and filled with epoxy putty. The "box" is just a random item from my parts box that was about the right shape and had "buttons" on the front. Quite a lucky find, actually.
By mikegb1984x
great work capt. Hey did you paint the car with krylon fusion spray paint for plastic? Thats what I did and I want to do the blue tape method but worried it will pull the paint.
Also love the chrome work looks sweet. You gonna put the caddy emblom on the front end?
By CaptCyan
mikegb1984x wrote:great work capt. Hey did you paint the car with krylon fusion spray paint for plastic? Thats what I did and I want to do the blue tape method but worried it will pull the paint.
Also love the chrome work looks sweet. You gonna put the caddy emblom on the front end?
Thanks! No, I used Rust-Oleum white primer, 2 coats of gloss white and a top coat of clear. The blue tape is made to go on top of a painted surface as it has low tack adheasive and won't permanently bond to the surface for a couple of days. Besides, isn't that fancy Krylon paint suppose to fuse with the plastic at the molecular level? It shouldn't come up. What are you planning to do to your Ecto?
By mikegb1984x
Im working on it. I used the fusion krylon spray and it came out very nice. Also tried the blue painter tape and it worked. I will post some pics of it on my ecto thread soon.
By CaptCyan
Really starting to look like something now. I popped in the dashboard and the doors.

I wresteled the 1/4" loom into submission and nailed it into place (really, that white loop holding it down on the roof is a 4 penny finishing nail bent to fit).

I also secured the ladder to the other side.

All that is left to do is chrome the fins and figure out a slide systen for the pack rack.
By CaptCyan
Vincenzo330 wrote:This is awesome stuff Cap! How many ecto bodies do you have left? Ever thought about modding two ecto's together to make a "stretch" like the real one? If anyone can do it I think you can :)
I've got 2 carcasses, 1 set of origional doors but no fins left.
I don't know how stretching would look because the windows get progressively taller from front to back. Stretching it would make a flat spot. I'll have to photo shop a pic to tell better. Cool idea, though.
By CaptCyan
joeghostbuster wrote:what is the ladder / framing made of ?
The origional rack and ladder are made of square styrene rods. I knew I was going to do this at least 2 more times, so I made molds. The set on Wrecto-2 are resin copies.
By CaptCyan
Haven't been in the mood to play with blue tape on the fins, yet, so I made a siren for the roof instead.

I took a large LED I had kicking around and pulled off the leads. I made the "face grill" out of epoxy ribbon putty and glued the whole thing onto a styrene tube.

I gave it a coat of flat black to see how it looks. I'll be making a mold of it before I chrome it and put it on the roof rack of Wrecto-2.

By Iggy
These are great! Question, do the new Mattell figures fit in the Ecto?
By ProtonCharger
the old ones werent 3 3/4. thats gijoe scale, they were roughly 5+ inches.
By CaptCyan
Iggy wrote:These are great! Question, do the new Mattell figures fit in the Ecto?
Sadly, no, but they look damn skippy standing next to it.

By Iggy
Bah! What was Kenner thinking when they designed the Ecto toy!?! They should of known that 20+ years later that they would be making larger, movie figures!!!!

Wait a minute...I recall someone making a better painted Firehouse from a Transformer forum...that wasn't you was it?
By CaptCyan
Iggy wrote: Wait a minute...I recall someone making a better painted Firehouse from a Transformer forum...that wasn't you was it?
Nope, not me. This is the only forum I've posted my Ghostbusters stuff on. Got a link to that forum? I'd like to see what someone else has done with it.
By Iggy
By CaptCyan
Hey Iggy,

Thanks for the links! His Ecto looks real good and shows what you can do with just paint.

His version of the Firehouse is really nice too. I like the water effects he used on the roof and pipes. Guess I should add some light to my Firehouse.
By Michael Scott
You've inspired me to give this a go. I dug my Kenner Ecto-1 and Firehouse out of storage from my parents' house today and brought them home. I dismantled both of them completely and washed them off with a cloth, then let the pieces soak in soapy water for a few hours. They are now drying in my empty bath tub.

I'm going to have to get the yellow out of the Ecto-1 as much as I can. Right now it's pretty sad looking, but all the major pieces are there. If you've got any specific tips on how to clean the yellow, PM me. I've seen some ideas just searching online that I might try soon.

I'm not worried about the discoloration of the firehouse, since it'll mostly be repainted anyhow. For the first floor interior, I'm going with the green and white walls like in the engine bay. I made a wall graphic in Paint, so I'll probably just print that out and glue it in there as opposed to repainting that section.

Anyhoo, I've got a long road ahead of me, and I'll definitely be referencing your work, but I just wanted to let you know you've inspired me to get a favorite toy out of storage and make it great again. Thanks!
By Ronnyboy
Any plans to cast some more parts and sell them? I can name a bunch of people who would be interested in some of those parts (wheels, siren, packs) for their own Ecto's.
By CaptCyan
Michael Scott wrote:You've inspired me to give this a go. I dug my Kenner Ecto-1 and Firehouse out of storage from my parents' house today and brought them home. I dismantled both of them completely and washed them off with a cloth, then let the pieces soak in soapy water for a few hours. They are now drying in my empty bath tub.

I'm going to have to get the yellow out of the Ecto-1 as much as I can. Right now it's pretty sad looking, but all the major pieces are there. If you've got any specific tips on how to clean the yellow, PM me. I've seen some ideas just searching online that I might try soon.

I'm not worried about the discoloration of the firehouse, since it'll mostly be repainted anyhow. For the first floor interior, I'm going with the green and white walls like in the engine bay. I made a wall graphic in Paint, so I'll probably just print that out and glue it in there as opposed to repainting that section.

Anyhoo, I've got a long road ahead of me, and I'll definitely be referencing your work, but I just wanted to let you know you've inspired me to get a favorite toy out of storage and make it great again. Thanks!
Hey there Michael,

Gareee had a solution to getting the yellow off the plastic.

"If any of the plastic has yellowed, a dip in some oxyclean +hydrogen peroxide will clear that right up!" He mentioned it in this very thread.

I haven't tried it because I filled in the ghost shaped indentions in the doors, so I did the whole sand, prime and paint deal.

Spengler28 did 2 referbs in "Ectomobiles" that were my inspiration, Check them out while you are researching, I have this one bookmarked.

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =13&t=4013

One of the best sources is the real Ecto refurbish on this site.

http://www.gbfans.com/equipment/reference/31/

If you have any questions please add them to my threads, you never know when sombody else has the same question and can use the information.

I hope you will start your own threads for your Ecto and Firehouse because I look forward to seeing how they turn out.
By CaptCyan
Ronnyboy wrote:Any plans to cast some more parts and sell them? I can name a bunch of people who would be interested in some of those parts (wheels, siren, packs) for their own Ecto's.
Hey Ronnyboy,

No, not really. This is all done for fun. I will say that if I happen to make up a pile of parts that I'm not going to use, I will make it known both in this thread and in the "For Sale" section. Now, if sombody had something cool to trade, that might be more of an incentive.

Packs, on the other hand, will be done up for sale. Please see this thread.

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 09#p214309
By Michael Scott
Thanks for the links to the other builds. I'll definitely reference those in my project.

I'll do my best to take some progress pics and start my own thread.

Do I have to be a supporting member to post pics here? Or can I just use the Img button. I've never tried, other than in the props section of my member profile.
By CaptCyan
Michael Scott wrote: Do I have to be a supporting member to post pics here? Or can I just use the Img button. I've never tried, other than in the props section of my member profile.
No, but it couldn't hurt. :-D I have my pictures hosted at imageshack. It doesn't cost anything to have them there and they can resize them for different uses, such as message boards like here. They set each one up with its own url, which you copy and paste into your post. Here's the link.

http://imageshack.us/

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]