By Donkey8012
I recently traded for a 1967 Pontiac Bonneville hearse/ambulance combo and I'm going to be turning it into an Ecto. For more details on the car, see this thread: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 13&t=22842

The only update I have as of right now is that I purchased a tag for it yesterday. "ECTO-1" was taken, so I had to get "ECTO-1A". Oh well. Pics will be posted soon!
Well, here she is, in all her glory. I did my best to capture all the details I could. I didn't really have good light.

By 69428scj
Uh oh, you removed this car from the PCS....AND it's a military ambulance on top of it! I'm not so sure I can support this conversion...it appears to be in too good condition. I don't want to rain on your parade though, so good luck with it.
By Donkey8012
According to the paperwork that I got with it, it wasn't originally used by the Navy. It was purchased from a funeral home in Texas by a naval officer with a thing for old ambulances. Before the funeral home, it sat in a field for a few years and was used as storage for paint cans. The officer bought it from the funeral home and converted it into what it is now. I'm told he used it for recruiting purposes.
By AJ Quick
Wow. That car looks amazing... AS IS.

I seriously would not convert it.

I would even leave the Navy stuff on it. It would be worth more in the long run to keep it as is. Wouldn't be worth much at all if converted to an Ecto.
By Donkey8012
I get what you're saying AJ, but the only reason I traded for this car is so that I could convert it. If I don't convert it, then I really don't have any use for it. My wife seems pretty interested in trying to make money off of it, but the whole point of my trading my Cobra for it was to make it an Ecto. I had that Mustang since I was eighteen and never wanted anything else, if that's any indication as to how much I want this to happen.

This is going to sound asshole-ish so I apologise in advance, but there seems to be a lot of people (not just on the forums, but in reality as well) that want to tell me how valuable the car is, but nobody that would be willing to buy it. If I thought I could make money on the car then I would try.
By Donkey8012
I did. It was a 1996, and needed some work. The book value of the Mustang was only around 5K.
By 69428scj
Well since it wasn't originally a military ambulance that only makes it slightly easier to accept in my mind. You already have one Ecto part and that's usually one of the harder to find ones. I still wouldn't convert it since it's yours, do as you please.
Zander Yurami wrote:Cant wait to see this finished
this guy's blessing is a major reason why anyone should leave a car like that alone.
By fifth_beatle
Donkey8012 wrote:This is going to sound asshole-ish so I apologise in advance, but there seems to be a lot of people (not just on the forums, but in reality as well) that want to tell me how valuable the car is, but nobody that would be willing to buy it. If I thought I could make money on the car then I would try.
No, no...it's your project. Your money. Your decision. We were just voicing our opinion, because it looks like a museum piece.:)
As I said Pontaic pro cars are very rare due to the fast most people went after the Cadillacs at the time. Yes Im vocing my opinion but you can restore that girl to 100% and make a nice profit from it.. But the money you do get from her and by yourself another pro car that might suit you.. Hell you might find a 1960 Cadillac MM Ambulance down the road. Just saying but you dont need to listen to me.
By Boomerjinks
If it were me, I'd put a little work into the car and attempt to flip it. Is there anything you can do to make it a better presentation of a USN ambulance, it would probably be worth more to a collector.

Then use the funds to find a base better-suited to an ecto conversion.

But that's me.
By Chace
I got a 90 model Buick Eagle Landau I'll trade you, runs great w/only 59,000 miles!

But seriously, I'm def. in the leave it as is camp, that thing is georgous...

Also screw the PCS!

NHAA all the way baby!

By Donkey8012
I can certainly appreciate your opinions; I know that you guys are trying to stop me from doing something that you think is stupid. I don't understand your logic, however. Maybe I'm missing something, but what would be the difference between buying the car that I have and converting it and buying a rusted-out '67 Pontiac hearse and restoring it knowing full-well that it is going to be an Ecto? I'm not going to stop halfway through the restoration process and decide to restore the rust bucket back into what it once was to sell it and make money. I don't believe any of you guys would do that either. If I had a rusted-out '60 Caddy would you guys say "that would make a great Ecto", or would you say, "you should restore that back into an ambulance, sell it, and buy something else."? What am I missing here? All of the tough restore-work has already been done for me. That's what made this such an attractive purchase for me.
By AJ Quick
Donkey8012 wrote:My wife seems pretty interested in trying to make money off of it
Donkey8012 wrote:I could make money
Sounds like you are in this for the wrong reasons.

If you convert that car, it will only be worth maybe 30% of what it was worth un-Ectoized. Even if you did an amazing job, and the car looked great. No one is going to pay more for the car than in its current condition (or restored) compared to when its converted to look like an Ecto. That's the truth.

I ended up grabbing one of the 84 wands just t[…]

Matty PKE Question...URGENT

Depending on the price, it might be worth snatchin[…]

I have a full sized spirit pack, and I have the gh[…]

If you need any clarification at all, PM me or […]