Just a small update on the car. Most of the car's wiring has been sorted out and is now working. The car is now boasting two batteries. The rear end has been rebuilt as well. In these pics the new chrome trim has been added to help further simulate the classic Ecto fins. You can never have too much chrome.

Funds. Thanks to the shop workers donating the cost of their labor it has significantly reduced the cost of the car, but they also only work on it between other projects.

I actually thank ours has come together pretty quickly compared to many. Our base wasn't as bad as many out there. We did hope having a newer vehicle would mean more parts being available but we've found many are not unfortunately. There is a local here that specializes in Pontiacs and he has been a godsend.
I'd love to see a farther back shot of the new chrome you guys installed on the red wings. These close ups are nice to see the trim but I'd like to see how it looks from far away with the new trim you added. You know, if you get the chance, I'm not demanding pictures. :blush:
Man, if you needed that much funding, granted they were nice enough to put labor on the free side, it must be one hell of an overhaul to get that sucker running. I have to take a guess it was mostly mechanical that was costing most of the revamp.
We'll get some soon burkit and hopefully some with the lights on.

The list of what we've replaced is pretty huge. Quite literally everything. It's all throughout the thread. The engine was certainly the biggest part of the project since we started with a bare block. The body work took some time but they really went over every dent and rust speck on the car and fixed them. Our goal is for the car to be as safe and dependable as possible so the time spent on the project has been well worth it. Arizona is rough on vehicles to say the least and we have some crazy drivers out here. We plan to use the car alot and we did realize if we had an accurate 59 we'd be too afraid to take it anywhere.
Alex41 wrote:With all that Edelbrock stuff on the top end why go with a Quadrajunk instead of one of their 600 CFM units?
We trusted the mechanics opinion on that judgement. We're mainly concerned with it running over performance.
GVGB2006 wrote:Shouldn't the word "Ghostbusters" be reverse like on an ambulance? lol Just sayin.
Tempting but our goal was to completely make sure the car is not mistaken for a real ambulance even as unlikely as that may be you never know.
Boomerjinks wrote:Can't wait to see you guys start on the rack!
So far the components are beautiful on their own. The rack and ladder is powdercoated in black, the fan box is done complete with and actual fan that will whirl like crazy going down the road, and the T.V. Antenna/Sniffer is completed and looks great. Still need to work on the dish.

For the most recent update the custom driveshaft and larger transmission have been installed, but there's some concern about the clearance on the driveshaft we're working out. Still have alot of electrical work and have to custom make brackets for the alternator.
Only reason I mentioned it is the tune ability of an Edelbrock carb is so easy in comparison. I used to get excellent mileage with my old ElCamino when it had one of their 600's on it.

If you run into problems with that unit, look into one. ;)
Time for an update on our Ecto. The guys have been working hard over the last several weeks, mainly at night to avoid the Arizona heat. After the rear end was completed and transmission installed, we discovered the driveshaft we had for the car did not fit. A new custom driveshaft had to be ordered and was just installed. In the underneath pics there are good shots of the new brake and fuel lines as well as rear suspension. The steering column and gear shift are also now hooked up. All of the underneath work is now completed and the car is on all four tires for the first time in months. Some work is still being done in the engine bay on the mounting brackets for the power steering pump and alternator as well as electrical work to accomodate the extra lightbars. Some minor details like a new rear right tail light cover were just added. That part alone took an unbelieveably long time to locate.

Work on the roof rack has also begun. Like the entire car, the roof rack is also our interpretation. Our goal is to maintain the classic elements but still make it our own version. The roof rack itself and ladder have been black powdercoated to last. The main boxes on the rack and the fan were located in a scrap yard. The beautiful sniffer, TV antenna, periscope, whichever you want to call it, was a gift from a talented friend.

On all fours again

New tail lens

Roof Rack

You are going to post detailed schematics of those binocs right now so I can smuggle them into robots that will in turn wind up in the hands of the resistance.

Seriously, f****g... goddamn.... in-progress pictures now please!
We don't have the schematics for those I'm afraid. Everything else is pretty much being eyeballed into place. I forgot to mention the binocs spin freely. We will also be working on the dish to be more GB2 styled, no offense to Dish Network of course.
Good luck with cutting the dish. If you can successfully do it without inhibiting the dish's structural integrity I would be very interested!

Of course... some welding would probably fix most of the problems that come with attaching a dish that normally sits on the side of a house to a moving car....

Charles (cklinejr.) had several very clever and simple ideas for making binocs swoop back and forth instead of spinning freely, PM him if you're interested.
We're still deciding if we want to leave the binocs free or not. The builder left us with the option to do want we want with it. I know we want to keep everything as simple as possible. The dish is definitely going to be tricky. Mounting it inside the large box was one way to keep the total height of the car down some and to keep some wind off of it. We're hoping at that angle the dish will cut the wind decently well. Our big fear is the dish laying down while driving.
The guys have been working very hard on the car the last several weeks. The engine is now completed with the radiator, transmission cooler, and alternator hooked up. The car has now been started and driven. A whole new exhaust system has also just been installed. Work on mounting the light bars and roof rack has started. We still need to install the ladder, yellow tubes, hoses, dish and antennas. The vinyl logos have just been added. Our team member Todd, who also made the Ghostbusters sign for the roof, also made the logos for us. Since this is the Ecto-AZ, we decided to use our logo on the back door of the car. We'll have more photos soon

We're close. We're very, very close.

Boomerjinks wrote:Looking great!

FYI, when I do finally make it down to Phoenix, I'm going to have a group of sherpas help me climb on top of your car, where I will plant a flag.

THAT gave me a great laugh ;)

Also, loving the custom logo on the back... actually, loving the whole look of your car :)

Also, sorry I can’t answer the question, but[…]

There's some fun dialogue TV-edits, a replacement[…]

Thanks The_Y33TER ! Confirmation there's no elect[…]

A little sneak preview of one of the bedrock parts[…]