By Hammer
Well this is parked in my driveway. I got it yesterday.....it was a steal....

I had planned on buying the full light/sound kits from the shop until this deal fell into my lap. It won't be an overnight project and I was hesitant to even post this.

I welcome any and all ideas, thoughts, comments or suggestions.

My mind is seriously racing.
By Ecto-1 fan
Let me just say...

DO IT!!!

What a beautiful car you picked up. They drive fantastic.
Mine is all a temporary setup, but it's still a blast. I know with your building skills that you'll have a screen-worthy Ecto in no time.
Congratulations!
By Hammer
It's '95 with only 80k miles, mechanically sound and maintained, minimal rusting for only $300.00. I'll drive it as is, resell it or scrap it and make money if push comes to shove. Win win situation.

I'm fully aware its barely in the same ballpark as an Ecto. It's almost like comparing my sandals to my boots. They're not the same just because they both fit my feet. The mystique of a '59 isn't there but the essence is. I think as long as I do a quality job on the top I'll be fine.

I think this would be far more suited to be a 1A but I like the original 1 style so much more.

I guess if this is my problem, I'll take it. Things could be worse.....
By Smeghead
And laser cannons. Don't forget the laser cannons.
By Hammer
Ok....here's the story. I've got a guy on my Department that can sniff out deals. If there's something you want, tell him and he'll find it somewhere, somehow. About a year ago I told him I'd love to do something in the Ecto realm. So a year later, I'm pulling onto the back lot of the Department and he comes running over. He tells me that the owner of a funeral home is getting rid of said hearse.....Getting rid of as in a scrapper is paying $500.00 to take it away. He said if it was still parked on the street it's probably still up for grabs.

I call and make introductions and small talk about the hearse. He finally said if I was interested in it, he'd be happy to sell it to me so it didn't get junked. I offered him $400.00 and he said that sounds fine. He said they were done with it. He said they do too well as a business to be driving a hearse that has rust on it.

I was pleased with what had occurred and I called my fiance. She knew the family and called them back. A few minutes later she sent me a text stating the price was now $300.00. And a "you're welcome".

I go to the funeral home the next day and ask to drive it. The battery was dead because it had set for over 6 months. The owner's son came out and helped me jump it. It fired right up. It has all the bells and whistles of a Cadillac and drives like one.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a once in a lifetime deal and I couldn't pass it up. My only complaint is that it's silver and not white!

So there's the story. I look at it as I can dream about a barn find correct period car or take this. I'll be perfectly happy with this.
Smeghead liked this
By Cyberkorr
My gawd man! that's one hell of a deal for a hearse in that condition! Slap a coat a paint on her and all the roof bells and whistles... you'll have one hell of an ectomobile!!! Well done and good luck sir!!
By Rodimus
Alan Hawkins wrote:At that price, you can do anything with it.
I echo that: what you could have potentially sent on another hearse, you can do a lot with this. The sky is the limit.
By Hammer
It's been awhile since I've posted anything. Just thought I'd jump in and confirm this did not die on the vine. I've been collecting pieces and parts and have a good number collected. I decided about a month ago this project needed to happen. I've got all the body work done and should be shooting some paint this week. My main concern was to attempt to remove the coach look. You can see the lines I've taped on the back that will be the new windows. I've only had about 10 "final answers" but I think this might be it. We'll see....

Lining up the "new" back windows is a challenge. Dealing with the different elevations as well as getting rid of any hint of landau bars hasn't been happy. I think this may get me close to what I'm looking for. My plan is to cut the top, cut black plexiglas/acrylic to shape and trim with a complimentary chrome to finish out. I'm picturing them looking like limo tint windows.....and not so much hearse.
zeta otaku liked this
By Hammer
Well this happened over the weekend. A few issues but for my first car painting, not bad.
NCM_0075
By Hammer
Ecto-1 fan wrote:Oh yeah!!!
I'd be happy to see more pics when you can. It's gorgeous.
Better late than never? Here's this year's progress. It's not much but it's definitely forward steps.

Added decals, sound and all the lights work. I do have a working red propelloray but it doesn't have a base. I don't want to just slap up a light that hasn't been made since the '50s. I'll find a base or fab it myself. I've taken a few liberties but I'm very pleased so far. Many more details left but it's a journey. Is a project like this ever really done though? Lol

The best part..... I'm still under $1000. Car included. I know it's not a '59 and I know there's many against the landau fake windows. The way I look at it, I wasn't shopping for a project car. I wasn't even imagining a project car. It was an opportunity that fell in my lap. Why not run with it!ImageImageImageImage
Ecto-1 fan liked this

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]