So I woke up to an email rant from videobob in my ebay messages today.

My fiance saw his painted car frame on ebay and emailed him asking questions about it because she knows I want an Ecto-1. He fired back with a three paragraph rant about how she isn't qualified to own or repair the car and a ton of other crap. What's this guy's problem? He's only two hours away, I feel like driving down there and kicking his ass for being rude.
SlimeGuy, jackdoud, Ecto-1 fan and 2 others liked this
Wow, Videobob sounds like a real dick!
I would but I deleted it before she could read it. I'm kinda glad I intercepted it, as he was being a real dick and I don't want her to bother with him. I just told her he got back to me and didn't want to sell it. I may still have the reply in my email though...

Most of the high points were "This car isn't for you, so don't bother" "you can't fix it, do you even have a shop?" "It's worth $40,000, so you can't afford to even own my car" etc etc. He also said it needed new shocks, even though the auction description says it has $5,000 value hydraulics on it(Why the hell would you put that crap on there before everything else, and why at all in the first place?)

So what's this guy's story anyhow? I know you said he stole someone's props and tried to resell them?
TexasBuster wrote:I would but I deleted it before she could read it. I'm kinda glad I intercepted it, as he was being a real dick and I don't want her to bother with him. I just told her he got back to me and didn't want to sell it. I may still have the reply in my email though...

Most of the high points were "This car isn't for you, so don't bother" "you can't fix it, do you even have a shop?" "It's worth $40,000, so you can't afford to even own my car" etc etc. He also said it needed new shocks, even though the auction description says it has $5,000 value hydraulics on it(Why the hell would you put that crap on there before everything else, and why at all in the first place?)

So what's this guy's story anyhow? I know you said he stole someone's props and tried to resell them?
You can read all about him here: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 32&t=27212
drjameshouse wrote:You can read all about him here: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 32&t=27212
TexasBuster, if you can recover that email it would be another great piece of VideoBob memorabilia to have posted in that thread that drjameshouse linked to.
weequay wrote:How would bob have know whether or not you had the skills/facilities to restore the car?

More to the point, Why would he care???
Maybe he can't see past his goofy beard, I dunno.

For the record, I DO have access to a dedicated shop. They're currently helping me turn my jeep into an Ecto.

As for his price, I could have come up with the full amount if I wanted to buy it. It's a nice looking chassis, but it's owned by a dicktard(who, sadly, owns three of these restored, and two unrestored chassis. One of the restored cars is a beautiful 1960 MM). I wish we could somehow liberate all of them from him.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

1960 Cadillac S&S Park Row Ambulance - starting bid at $6,900.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1960-Cad ... 500wt_1182

Might might a pretty Ecto.
I see the line of rust at the base of the car in the 4th shot. A small line like that on the exterior means a huge patch of missing metal on the interior. The price being asked is slightly ridiculous. The seller will probably play the old card of "But it's rare" which he has clearly confused with "market value." If that price doesn't drop to about $3k then what traditionally seems to happen is they sit on their unsold "goldmine" while it gets older and older and rusts away until it returns to the earth.

Someone told this guy he owns something rare and valuable and he took it to heart. He got a number in his head and he fixed it there, not allowing it to waiver, if anything mentally increasing it each year with the belief that things get more valuable as time goes on. The only way to get this car is talk him down from the cloud of imaginary beliefs he floats on.

He will never restore it and he knows it. It may sit there for years and devolve making it actually LESS valuable with each passing year. If I were in your shoes I would tell him ( the above ) as directly as possible, offer him a top of $3k and assure him that it's the best offer he's going to get for cash in his pocket right now. Everything else is just letting rust reclaim that car until it's value is gone.

Good luck.
The "ecto" videobob is trying to sell is one I watched on CL for a while, I was waiting for the price to drop to where I could afford it. It got as low as 2500 and that's when he got it, it already had all of the suspension on it as described in the cl ad, the only thing he did to it was the paint, so its ridiculous for him to claim that he has put all that work into it.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

On eBay ,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac ... fc&vxp=mtr

Martin
Poor girl, needs a new windscreen, chrome on the hood, wipers, some of the bullets for the grille, hubcaps, gas cap, new lamps for the front bumper, glass for the front passenger door...

That being said, I've seen interiors in worse condition... and it looks like she hasn't been gutted by looters, which is good (most of the interior parts appear to be there, and she has the rest of her curved glass intact). I'm definitely worried about how much of her has rotted away from the rust that's visible all over the body.

$5,000 seemed (from this ignorant fan's perspective) reasonable compared to some prices listed here in the past, but double that could easily be spent fixing her up.
Double?!

To even find a '59 M&M combo is pretty freakin' rare. The work needed on this car isn't bad, or should I say at least it's not that one M&M combo "rusted out hulk" in the middle of nowhere being sold by a buyer who thinks it's worth more than it is. This here is a mostly workable car. Yes, there's work to be done but if this sells for about $10k ( almost there now ) and the buyer is willing to sink another $40k into it then this could turn out really good.

There's plenty of work that needs to be done to this car from rusted out floors and rockers to potentially a total rebuild of engine, transmission and replacement of all suspension. My guess is this will take $50k to be a good car, never mind a good Ecto.

So rare... I wish luck to the bidder who wants to turn this into an Ecto. I'm crossing my fingers and pullin' for ya.
gb4ever, Ecto-1 fan liked this
TexasBuster wrote:So I woke up to an email rant from videobob in my ebay messages today.

My fiance saw his painted car frame on ebay and emailed him asking questions about it because she knows I want an Ecto-1. He fired back with a three paragraph rant about how she isn't qualified to own or repair the car and a ton of other crap. What's this guy's problem? He's only two hours away, I feel like driving down there and kicking his ass for being rude.
What's this guys probLEM?

Oh, Lord,...where to start,...
Fifthrider liked this
The Volo Museum car is now for sale. Maybe it always was and this isn't news, I don't know. I only heard about it today.

http://volocars.com/1959-cadillac-ecto- ... -c-870.htm

My purpose of posting it here has nothing to do with the car being for sale. It's to correct misinformation contained on their website, and quoted from something I said.

When Sean and I did the CraveOnline video the director kept asking us for figures on the cars, how many, etc. Sean and I were both quite diligent to say that there were only about 88-92 of the Miller-Meteor combos and exactly 124 of the Superior Hearses. ( That figure I have in writing from the Superior Coach Co. ) For the sake of fast pacing the director shortened that to "200 of the exact car." Sean and I took issue with that and preferred to use the word "about" as much as possible. I mean, if we're going to start lumping in the Superior with the Miller Meteor then why not add in all the Eurekas and Sayers and Scovilles as well? I wanted to keep it honest and really didn't enjoy bending those figures but Sean found a way around that by saying something about 200 being the approximate body style. That's fairly accurate, the Superior and M&M look closer to each other than the S&S or the Eureka ever did.

The director also wanted to know how many '59 Caddy M&M's and Superiors were still around, how many were converted into Ectos, etc. I looked around on some professional car forums as well as GBfans and honestly, it was damned hard to tally up accurately. The best kept records I've ever seen weer on the old TheEcto-1.com website but no one I know can seem to get in there anymore.

We took educated guesses based on what pics would could find and based on what I recall from the last time I read stats on TheEcto-1 many years ago. My point is, we were making our best guesses and using the word "about" as much as possible.

Now I'm on this Volo site and they're quoting what Sean and I said as if it's gospel.

Only about 200 of these hearse / ambulances were ever built. There are only 8 known legit Ecto-1 replicas in America

I'm telling you, as the person whose mouth these words came out of, this was a guess and not a calculated fact. If you ever hear these figures rehashed again on someone else's website to inflate the value, just know the context. If Volo were going to include their Eureka in with the "200" made of 88-to-92 M&M Combos and 124 Superior Hearses then we might as well add in all Miller Meteors made in '59 ( hundreds ) and all Superiors made in that same year, not to mention all the S&S and Eurekas. Grand total is about 4,000+ commercial chassis cars that could be an Ecto.
Boomerjinks, gb4ever liked this

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]