By SedgewickHotel
As some of you may know, I'm in the process of building a Ghostbusters-themed Interactive Dark Ride. http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =7&t=38550

As part of this ride, I've created a dark ride car which I am about to theme as an Ecto-1. I'm stuck at a decision point and I can't for the life of me make a decision, and I could use some help...

Which idea do you like better - cast a vote for Option 1 or Option 2:

Option 1 - Showroom Quality. High-gloss finish, pure white with the logo.
Option 2 - Aged & Slimed. High-gloss finish underneath an aging effect (antiquing glaze, and dry brushed "dirt") with splatters of green slime across the bottom.

By gamera1968
I prefer the "aged and slimed" version myself.

Can't wait to see this ride in action. :cool:
In all honesty, that would be perfect ... any ideas on how to create a rock hard, semi-transparent 3D slime that will attach to a glossy enamel base?

I think I'm in over my head on that one... anyone know any chemists?

Otherwise, I'm probably going to need to go with a solid, paint-like, look. I did think about using a semi-transparent, green-tinted wood stain. It's oil based, so it "should" adhere in some fashion to the enamel... I think. Then, I could go over the edges with multiple layers, so the inner part of the slime looks more translucent than the edges, which is likely how real slime would look. Might be worth trying on a test piece...
By Ecto-1 fan
What about enamel clear coat with a few drops of green mixed in? Spray with an airbrush or automotive paint gun.
Make sure the brand & type are the same, and compatible.
A test piece is definitely a good idea.
One of my biggest concerns with the slime option is getting it to look like actual slime and not green paint. I love the idea of tinted silicone, but I'm going to need to do some serious testing first. I played with some solid white I had laying around, just to see what the consistency would be like, and it was extremely difficult to apply. It's just so damned sticky, it's nearly impossible to get it to sit where you want it to.

I did some research and it looks like silicone can be thinned with mineral spirits, so that could be what I need to do. I also found out that simple household food coloring works well to tint the silicone.

Long story, short = I'm going to pick up some supplies tomorrow and start experimenting.
Have you ever considered tweaking the shape of the cart to have some of the same lines/shapes as the Ecto1? Curved armrests that look like fins? A slightly more rounded front that looks like the 59 hood?

Also the aged one is probably better.
By Smeghead
How about the slimed uniform method in this thread? Or failing that, you can get clear paints in various colours from companies like Tamiya or Humbrol... Although being designed for models, they tend to come in very small tins.
    Greetings

http://i.imgur.com/1kB7fOZ.jpg

I love that people are still making these packs. I[…]

For the legacy shell, what aspects are damage that[…]

At the moment my interest would be what sorts fo[…]