To those of you that upgraded from a generator to an alternator, what components did you use to wire it up? Also, what original components did you keep or remove?

I'm working with a 62 Superior, upgrading to a 150a 3-wire alternator. I already have a 2-battery isolator, as well as two 50a breakers.
Hey there :)
converting the Gen to Alt in my 59 caddy was easy. spun the bracket on the exhaust manifold from front to back, removed the old Gen & the big external regulator etc Ran a new thicker gauge charge wire & reused the dash light indicator.
whole swap took about 1/2 an hour but I ensured I had everything ready to go, and now she is all good :) 14.2 healthy volts from a $30 second hand alternator
MonaLS liked this
yep, pulled the Gen, then the regulator (I assume the replacement alt is internally regulated?) and all associated wiring. my alt had the indicator wire, charge wire and the exciter, which I mentioned I hooked up (using a nice thick charge wire) and it was 100% OK. '62 may have some differences with the exhaust mount etc though.
as I say it took about 30 minutes, while I was home sick with the flu!

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]