Hey everybody! I know that a few of you were asking in my pack build thread about where the heck my thrower was. Well I almost have all the parts in hand for my build, and I thought that I'd start a new thread to keep things nice and tidy. So here's my hero, all-metal thrower, WIP of course. ;)

The parts that I already have. Some of them I had for a few months now; but the "real" parts (like the metal gun box that CPU64 is building for me!) are starting to come in and the build can really start. :P The black parts have been painted by me, with Krylon BBQ as usual.

Genuine Clippard R-701 valve. I also have the correct screws(slotted fillister head machine screws) both sold by Masteryoda. Thanks Dean! :)

Front cylinder by Umoribawar, rear cylinder by jpa35 (with included Clippard barb) Great little parts.

GB1 heat sink by jpa35. That, my friends, is a work of art. I LOVE that heat sink. It's perfect. :D

Complete set of gun knobs by jpa35. Once again, perfect. I also applied Namebrand's dry transfers on the top one.

Complete gun track kit, by, you guessed it, jpa35. The discs and the S-hook can all be dismantled. It's only waiting for the gun box base plate.

Complete rotating front handle assembly by Umoribawar. The base of the handle has been shipped directly to CPU64 to that he can weld it to my box. Everything else (ears, barrel lock) is welded on, and the inner tube is waiting for Umori's new barrel popping mechanism. Speaking of which...

The barrel in question, by jpa35. Soldered trigger tip, acrylic clear tube. Looks good, doesn't it!

Can't wait to start working on it. Let's get to work! :D
Last edited by Filandrius on March 14th, 2012, 7:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By CPU64
Your gun box is all closed up.
The front stem has been cut to size and I need to get more tube for the rear handle and the two will get welded to the box.
Last is to smooth out the bottom, and add the bottom cover.
nick-a-tron wrote:Wow now THATS a good looking pile of parts! Gunna be hard to make a thrower that's anything short of perfect using those! Looking forward to the updates :)
Except for the track.

;) at Jason
By Filandrius
Nick: That's the general idea. :P And don't worry about the updates, I'm going to want to share every step of the way. :D

Speaking of which...

It's amazing what a simple coat a paint can do, don't you think? ;)

Kaga: Isn't envy one of the seven deadly sins? :P

CPU: now that is the best news I've heard all year. I absolutely can't wait to get it. I'm sure it'll be incredible! :D
By AJ Quick
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

CPU64 wrote:Call me crazy but the money for the last couple orders might go into this new toy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/7x12-Precision-Mini ... 2605wt_911
You can do a lot better used on Craigslist or for a few hundred dollars more.
By CPU64
I want to avoid the "few dollars more" part especially when all I'm I'm going to do is pack work..
But I'll definitely look around Craigslist. Maybe I'll find a good deal near by.
By Filandrius
Holy crap this is a work of art. I'm beyond excited right now. :cool:

Luckily I've kept the dimensions of the light bar opening handy. In other words yes please! I wouldn't know how to do it myself anyway. ;)

Here it is: 1,53" x 0,27"

Can't thank you enough man! :D
By KagaSakai
CPU64 wrote:Ok, am I cutting a yellow light bar opening on this gun or no? Here's how its looking right now. Just a few more cuts to make and add the bottom cover.
Just beautiful! How much are you charging for something like this?
By Filandrius
OK! Like I said in my pack build, I'm back from vacation and I got a ton of stuff. I also mentioned that I received stuff for my thrower, so behold! My aluminum gun box by CPU64. :D

Here it is in all its glory. I haven't even touched it yet, I'm trying to finish my pack to fully concentrate on my thrower.

Of course, building my thrower won't really be a "build" since all I will have to do is assemble everything. Chris even drilled and/or marked most of the holes, so it will be a breeze. :)

Still, I can't wait to really start working on it. I'll probably tap most of the holes, to avoid using nuts.

Sorry about all the angles, but it deserves the attention. It's really the ultimate gun box. I can't really wrap my mind around it. And you wouldn't believe the weight. My thrower will be so light! :)

I also got some pretty impressive Legris banjo replicas by jpa35. As usual with Jason, the quality is right there. I don't know if a novice like me could tell the real thing from one of these. Beautiful.

That's it for now! I can't cram any more perfection in that post, it'll burst. ;) I'll keep you posted on the build proper!
By Filandrius
It is, isn't it? ;)

Short update: Nick, I got your grips in the mail and I started working on them. Well, started and stopped, since they're ready to install on my thrower. :D

Since I want them to weather naturally just like the screen-used prop, I used Krylon Ruddy Brown Primer for the base coat. Here they are, after several coats, and enough wet sand to make'em shine. :D

One coat of BBQ Black later, here they are, ready to roll. I personally recommend them to everyone. ;)

Stay tuned for more!
By CPU64
The holes for the clippard are already tapped. :)

Just so you know, this will turn out WAY better than my own gun, since you're using so many awesome machined components.
I feared that this would happen, but also realistically expected it ^_^

PS, funny thing I just noticed..
In GB2, the Do-Ray-Egon part. Peter and Egon both start up the same thrower. I wonder why they did that.
By Filandrius
Sorry Chris, don't want to make you jealous. ;)

IMO they only had one hero thrower/pack. There's a lot of repeat in that scene. I think that each time that you see one of the guys alone, he has the same pack on.

OK! Small update: here's the status of things after an afternoon of measuring and drilling (that's what happens when you're at home and it rains :P)

There's my gun box, full of new holes and measurements. First I finish the holes, then I paint it. Then I mount everything. This build is going to go faaaaaast! If I didn't miss some parts my thrower would be done before my pack. :D

The gun base plate assembly, ready to go. Speaking of which...

... I had to check out how it fitted on the pack. And I didn't regret testing it out, because my S-hook was not crooked enough, it got stuck on the HGA! A short modification later and now everything fits like a glove.

That's all for now! :)
By Filandrius
OK! Me again. Holes are drilled, the box is ready for paint. I have to pace myself or I'll finish this thrower today. :P

In the meantime, how about a little dry fitting? ;)

I know, I'm a tease. This thing is incredible, can't wait to finish it. And I retract what I said previously about my thrower being light. That beast is hefty!

Stay tuned!
By Filandrius
I think the only difference is that my gun track kit is all from Jason (discs and S-hook included) That's pretty much it! :) Of course I didn't got any Austin light caps yet, but I keep my fingers crossed. ;)
By GAVAL
So how much does a metal thrower like this weigh verses something made of resin or plywood?

As I understand it the pecking order of Heavy to Light is:
Heavy Metal
Resin
MDF
Plywood
Aluminum
Foamcore
Styrene

Right? Just curious.

G
By Filandrius
Not much. Everything is aluminum, and the only parts that pack a little weight are the solid ones. All that I know is the gun box (with welded handle) weights less than a resin box. Overall the thrower won't be very heavy (I assembled it all earlier tonight and played a little with it; it's weight, while not negligible, is quite confortable) I'd guesstimate that it'll weight around 5 lbs when complete, maybe less.

Oh and thanks for the kind words, guys. You better prepare yourselves though: the paint is drying right now. It is... amazing, to say the least. Can't wait to show it to you! :D
By GAVAL
Well, Metal throwers are as close to the real deal as it gets as far as what a "real" tool would look and feel like, (I don't care what the movie props were made of, it was implied they were made of metal in the movie world) so these all metal projects, for me, are the creme de la creme of GB props.

I'd use some putty. Yeah. I'm sorry, I'm not […]

Proton Props UK

Sure! As soon as I got my pack I will post the pic[…]

Or if you bought the access pack you get them inst[…]

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]