By jackdoud
3 months later and it's time for an update.

The bumper master has been clayed up:

One side cast:

Other side cast:

And first pull from the mold:

Next it was time to build the slime blower attachment. I started by working out the lengths of the three main section, the rear, middle and cone.

The problem with the rear section is it actually has the part of the front grip clamp embedded into it. I wound up cutting slots into the acrylic and boxing them out with styrene. Add a pair of mounting points and the section was ready for molding:

For the cone I started by filling a funnel with resin:

I drilled the holes with a step drill:

Then back filled them with putty to level them out:

I also scratched the slime hose attachment parts for the rear of the thrower and the detail parts for the side of the tube:

The more parts I add to this thing the more ridiculous it gets:

Everything's in silicone now, hopefully we'll have finished casts soon and Matt can attach it to his final build.
By JL5-2020
GhostBustin_84 wrote:That's just sick!! If I knew how to put a Wayne's World "We're not worthy" gif, I would. I bow to you good gents craftsmen abilities!!
Mind if do it then?

Tyrael liked this
By GhostBustin_84
JL5-2020 wrote:
GhostBustin_84 wrote:That's just sick!! If I knew how to put a Wayne's World "We're not worthy" gif, I would. I bow to you good gents craftsmen abilities!!
Mind if do it then?

Thanks. Glad someone could pick up my slack!! Lol. 8-)
By mburkit
New post time! Jack did some stuff and now its my turn!

As you saw in Jack's last post, he finished scratch building the slime blower attachment for the thrower. Well, he made molds:

And from those 3 part molds, you get these things:

Besides just the tube and cone, Jack also made the little "black box" that mounts on the tube too!

With these last few things, Jack is pretty much done scratch building all the parts for our game throwers which means I need to stop slacking and do some more work on mine!

And so I did; I brought my casts home and dry fitted everything to the rest of my thrower:

Looks like it all fits! And so began the tearing down of my thrower so I could clean up the seam on the upgrade box attachment and then prime everything so I can see where else I need to do some work on the casts.

Tear down and painting things!

I didn't take photos of the process, but cleaning up the seam between the top and bottom halves of the upgrade box attachment took me FOREVER and was such a pain in the butt to get it all nice and clean. . . but it was worth it. Once all the paint dried, I took some shots of the wand back together. Please note that some of the smaller bits and bobs on the thrower are just being held there by masking tape so I could get photos of everything I just got done painting together. Some of the stuff won't be permanently attached to the thrower until it is painted black and I'm doing final assembly.

Oh, and don't worry folks, my "fun" day of tearing stuff apart, painting it, and putting it back together didn't stop there! After spending a good 4-5 hours of working on the wand, I then decided to turn my attention to the pack! I tore that sucker all down, primed the shell, painted all the attachments to the shell along with the motherboard and threw everything back together just for your amusement.

This is the state at which the pack sits now down on my work bench. For 8 hours of work, I don't feel I really DID anything but now the shell and wand are primed and the pieces I'm finished with are the color they are supposed to be. For my next installment, I will most likely be attaching a moving bumper to the shell, so stay tuned!
jackdoud, Sephiroth, Kingpin and 2 others liked this
By mburkit
Did someone ask for an update? No. . . awww. Well, you're getting one anyway, smart-ass!

I have mounted more stuff to the pack! Namely the majority of the booster tube, booster frame, our custom clear concave lenses, and a MOVING BUMPER! (If you can't tell, I'm excited about the bumper)

Here's a full shot of the pack in all of its glory (as of this afternoon):

A close up of the bottom half of the booster tube with the booster frame attached:

The reason why there is only 3/4's of a booster tube mounted on the pack, is because in the game, once you have the slime blower attachment, the top 1" of the booster tube remains on the top of the slime tank inside the tube as it extends while in the slime blower mode.

The part of the tube I have mounted on my pack currently is the part that stays stationary.

Now onto the bumper. . . looks like a normal bumper.

Until it slides 3.25" away from the cyclotron!

It will be motorized when the pack is done, but for me, getting it on there and moving freely was a big achievement! It took a lot of time to get to this point: from modifying the Volguus bumpers, to molding the resulting game specific bumper, gutting the cast to make room for the tracks, heavily modifying the tracks and finally getting it all on the pack. Once the pack is all painted, the tracks won't be nearly as noticeable with a coat of black paint. We went with tracks for stability, so there will be absolutely NO twisting of the bumper, so it won't have issues seating back down in its normal position after venting.

Also note, I continue to use the button head bolts on the bumper as I did on the mounting points for the shell to the motherboard. I feel this is a nice homage to the movies because its mixing the socket head bolts from GB1 and the machine screws from GB2. That and its something different.

And with that, I'm spent! We'll see where Jack and I go next with this build. . .

Until next time!
jackdoud, Sephiroth, rays_occult and 1 others liked this
By julz
Sooooo awesome matt

that's going to be the most accurate game pack out there when finished
By kurisu7885
mburkit wrote:
kind2311 wrote:matt, you'd better find the proper size/color pattern bungee cords or so help me god . . .
I hear they got 'em at Harbor Freight, I just have to build up the courage to go over there. . .
Are you worried you might try to walk out with half the store?
By kurisu7885
Good god man, I took a better look and, wow.

Heh, I decided against a game pack since, well, I don't care for how the fully upgraded gun looks.

A shame you likely can't get the rods for the meson collider to pop up.
By mburkit
kurisu7885 wrote:A shame you likely can't get the rods for the meson collider to pop up.
Not with the way I'm building it, no. My main goal is for it to LOOK like the fully upgraded game pack, but it will only go into 2 of the modes: Regular/Boson Dart and Slimeblower modes. I don't want the ribs popping open and I don't want a Jacob's ladder on my pack, haha.
By jackdoud
kurisu7885 wrote: A shame you likely can't get the rods for the meson collider to pop up.
Matt's wussing out and only doing the "easy" upgrades. I'm planning to do as much as physically possible with my pack.
mburkit, Cole Funstuff, Borzou and 1 others liked this
By mburkit
One more small update just because I was able to take some nice pictures that really show of this thing shaping up to be a video game pack. I mounted the metal tube that will be the HGA, letting me put pneumatic fittings on it which lead to all the pneumatic hosing now being on the pack. I also mounted slime blower nozzle onto the wand. Anyway, enough jibber-gabbing, here's the pictures (the point of this whole post):

By julz
Great work mat, that's the most accurate game pack I think that has ever been assembled
jackdoud liked this
By mburkit
I hope you're ready to "taste the rainbow"!

Just like everything else on this freaking build, we had to scratch build our own ribbon cables because the ones in the game just don't exist in the real world. They are kinda a weird mix between the GB1 and GB2 ribbon cables.

Here's a close up of the color pattern we went with:

As you can see, we made our own make-shift jig. We didn't want to go too crazy since we only needed a few.

We used the same method BlkMesaHero did with the heat shrink tape and it turned out pretty good considering we never really did this before!

Here's a little comparison shot of a GB1, GB2, and GB:TVG ribbon cables all next to each other.

And last but not least, what it looks like on my grey proton pack, haha

I will get a tighter wrap on it when the pack is finished, but I wanted it on there to see what it looked like. The blues/purple/pinks are a little darker than in the game but over all, I think we got pretty close to what we wanted. I'm also debating about hitting the back side of the cable with satin aluminum spray paint to give it more of a silver color like in the game, especially up where the cable is tightly wrapped; but we'll see.

Anyway, kinda a small update but I wanted to share what we accomplished today. Its freaky as this thing begins to look more and more like a video game pack. . .

Thanks!
XxEctOxX, Cole Funstuff, jackdoud and 1 others liked this
By thebigone2087
That ribbon cable is amazing work! This is really shaping into an amazing pack, I can't wait to see how this turns out!
By mburkit
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote:Amazing work, this is my favorite thread. Hope to see this one in person.
Well, if you will be at Dragon Con this year, I hope to have it at least built by then; it just might not have all the lights and moving parts quite yet.
By YHSCraig
mburkit wrote:
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote:Amazing work, this is my favorite thread. Hope to see this one in person.
Well, if you will be at Dragon Con this year, I hope to have it at least built by then; it just might not have all the lights and moving parts quite yet.
I will be there! And yes that ribbon cable is amazing.
By pyhasanon
mburkit wrote:Well, if you will be at Dragon Con this year, I hope to have it at least built by then; it just might not have all the lights and moving parts quite yet.
Awesome! I really hope I can make it!

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]