IPv6Freely wrote:I noticed a lot of people are now using the acrylic tubing. Where did you get it?
Master-McCarr is were I got that, along with some nuts and bolts. http://www.mcmaster.com/

jackdoud wrote:Nice pack!

You're pencils are upsidown on your booster frame. :blush:
Funny story.
Ok, not really funny, but I cut one pencil WAY too short and noticed TOO late that I glued the correct one upside down.

Don't tell anybody else, maybe they won't notice.
IPv6Freely wrote:Your fake welds are just fine. A lot better than many I've seen. Looking great!

What did you stick in your booster tube? Plugs of some sort to screw the frame in?
I used PCB board stand offs as nut inserts.8-32 thread 1/4 inch thick. ACE hardware should have them, thats were I found them. If not here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threa ... fs/=eft22c
Been meaning to update this thread as went along, but I have been working on this at a feverish pace.

Just to add a level of difficulty, I started a new thrower at the same time. Both projects are driving me up the wall.

I bought the aluminum from a metal supply house along with the metal bar that I used for the ion cap. I think I paid $7 all together. It also makes a great drop cloth

I made a paint rack to paint all of the small bits. Plus, while I was waiting for parts to dry, I prepped my pack for paint....
Two weeks ago, I started my thrower build. The first one that I build was (is), not where I would like it to be.
My intention was to start a new thread, maybe a tutorial. But I think this thread will suffice.

Sticker paper from Office depot is much better than the paper from Walmart.

I have had good luck with the templates from Hprops. They are pulled from Stefans plans and are already scaled to compensate for .125 material. So I went and bought one sheet of .125 styrene from my local hobby shop for $11.

I loaded the sticker paper in the printer, unchecked the "center and rotate" and "scale to fit" options on the print screen, and then printed the templates out.

I then cut the templates that I was going to use for styrene and applied them. I also printed out the first page of Hprops templates on a piece of cardstock.

PVC pipe miter sawed and placed on the box.

Marked for cutting

This where I stopped taking photos, I dont know why. Here I have secured the pipe with a screw and wedged a toothpick to hold in place so I can glue it.

I have the nut inserts installed, and the hole for the wiring drilled in the instrument bar. I should note that I used screws to attach the instrument bar, so I can remove it to service or upgrade it.

and finally:

IPv6Freely wrote:Your scratchbuilding ability is mindblowing.
Before this build, I never build anything from scratch. I have little experience when it comes to building something like this.
I have said it before to others who are intimidated about building; no one starts out knowing this stuff,
1. prep, prep, and more prep
2. plan it out
3. take your time
4. don't be afraid to mess up

If it does not come out the way you like it, fix it, but don't give up because you think you can't do it or it looks horrible to you.
WOW! I'm totally amazed at how good it looks. My scratchbuilding abilities are insignificant compared to yours:). Your work may give me the inspiration I'm needing to build my own thrower (I've been having thought of buying a resin kit...). Many thanks for sharing this with us...
wm6929 wrote:
IPv6Freely wrote:How'd you manage to make your styrene so clean? I've been using the score and snap method, which achieves less than stellar results along the edges..
I cheat. :)

I use a scroll saw.

You can find them pretty cheap at Pawn shops. I have seen them for about $49.
"You've got the tools, you've got the talent!"
I did not like the texturing that was on the shell so I took some of the paint off and started over.

Started sanding it back down to the raw.

Then I switched to a biodegradable paint stripper and removed layers and layers of paint.

Sand and sand, smooth everything out again. Then I did some test sprays with the texture until I got the setup I liked, and I tried painting it again.

Proton Props UK

That's strange, he gave me an entirely different r[…]

For anyone interested in seeing some of the orig[…]

Did anyone watch it?

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]