So here is all I have done so far. We have Followed Norm's instructions to the letter but for some reason the measurements are still off. For example i cant even make the power supply box. when ever I try it doesn't fit! The parts that go down into the "valley" I like to call it, measure too big! I need help here please!

Im about to give up here.
I gave up. This was my third attempt at building this and it never seems to come out right so I tossed it. I think the only way I can do a pack is to make one using pre-made parts (resin, shell, etc.) And I cant afford that so my Ghostbusters Costume has come to an end.
By julz
Man, don't give up! thats really sad to see so much work go to waist. For a budget pack I think it was looking very good and I'm sure it was fixable.

Is there anyway you can untoss it? as I be happy to help you out somehow. Even if I was to get you to take alot of measurements for me and I could try and work out in photoshop or maya what you need to do to make this work?
You might hav to live with som masurements not being completly accurate, but it will still look like a very recognizable proton pack!

Don't ever give up on having your proton pack...even if you come up against a wall. Even if you had to rejig somethings there would still be alot you could salvage from what you have made already!

Julz~
By Coover5
BustinScottie1977 wrote: And I cant afford that so my Ghostbusters Costume has come to an end.
Would this be the first part to your gb costume or do you have a flight suit ready? the proton pack is not the start or end of a gb costume. Getting some nice coveralls with a name and patch looks great by itself. Then build from there. If you already have a flight suit ready then you have a perfectly fine GB outfit. Hell you can take a jacket you have throw on an arm patch and there you go!
Coover5 wrote:
BustinScottie1977 wrote: And I cant afford that so my Ghostbusters Costume has come to an end.
Would this be the first part to your gb costume or do you have a flight suit ready? the proton pack is not the start or end of a gb costume. Getting some nice coveralls with a name and patch looks great by itself. Then build from there. If you already have a flight suit ready then you have a perfectly fine GB outfit. Hell you can take a jacket you have throw on an arm patch and there you go!

Ive got the flight suit which turns out that Im swimming in it. So no i this isnt the first part. But it is supposed to be the centerpiece of the who gig.
By Ecto_1
Don't give up dude, I made 3 packs out of cardboard and hot glue for sequential halloween costumes, none of them looked absolutely right, and then I finally built one out of wood, and its not perfect at all, but somethings you have to just live with on the first build, now after 3 years and not wanting to lug around a 60 lb pack, I'm starting to collect parts to go with a fibreglass shell. Something that might help you out potentially is getting your hands on a motherboard, Irricanian (Colin) often has them on sale in how monthly promos, and that way you can trace it onto a 1/4 sheet of ply, set everything up, and sell the motherboard off again, or keep it for a down the road glassed pack.
By Libtechinit
You can't give up on that your wayyyy closer than most people ever get. Shoot your actually almost done!

Looking at your pictures and current progress, why can't you take the measurements you need from what you have built instead of from the plans?

When you say "valley" I'm guessing your talking about the cosmetic plating correct? That should be fairly easy to take measurements off of what you have built and use those to create the part of the pack you need. Instead of using the measurements off the plans to fit what you have built. Maybe the plans are off slightly, maybe a cut or wood thickness wasn't accounted for. Either way it doesn't matter there's a workaround. For your first pack you have something pretty killer you just need to roll with the punches now.

I'd actually say at the stage your in, with what little you have left to do I would just buid everything off of measurements you take from your current build and only use plans and reference pictures for the placement of each remaing piece that you need.

Like I said your very close to being done don't throw it all away because of one speed bump.
By Libtechinit
BustinScottie1977 wrote:Well Ill see what I can do though Im not very good at measurements, But Im really thinking about one of those vacuum formed shells from Studiocreations.
I'm going to just be honest, not that I have anything against the vac shells but I really don't think that after the time you've spent and how good your pack is coming out that your going to be happy with a vac shell.

Yea it would be a little easier but it wouldn't be worth it if it wasn't a challange.

Measuring is easy all you need is a ruler and you can go to town!

Just ask if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help!
By skeg_man
Im also on my second build after using a Vac shell. Mine wasnt a SC shell but man it was crap... You are better off sticking with the build I think. It looks like it was coming along great. Hang in there mate. Always make sure to step away when it all seems to much. Does help for sure. Rethink it... Then re-tackle it... :-):-)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Ghostbusters Fans on Android
By sbonse
I think you should carry on with the scratch build as it will be more rewarding when you have finished it as it would be all your hard work that has created a excellent pack.
It's looking good so far so carry on.
Vac shells are ok and can look really good if you take your time and do a little work to them. My first pack was a vac shell and I was happy with it at the time.
I needed the money so sold it. But missed it so much I had to have another one so I'm using a resin shell for this one. If you need help with dimensions I can help as I modeled a 3d full size pack up from Steffans plans.
By BustinScottie1977
Ok so Im gonna be modifying the mother board slightly from Norms plans to look more like Stefan's Im also gonna hollow out the gear box a bit so the pack is not so heavy. I used piece of paper to put under the gear box and the EDA and traced the shape of the part that goes down in the area between the EDA and the generator. Im also gonna be working on the power cell.
By sbonse
Looking good. Are you hollowing out the power cell for lights to be fitted.
By Etigo
With a few years late...
Great work!!! :-D

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]