By noslliT
Alright I have been researching this part for the better half of 3 years and figure it's time to show off the fruits of my labor.
First I want to let you know that this is an aircraft part and each bargraph runs $1000. This is the retail price. I tried to find it cheaper believe me.
There is also a specialty socket which runs $100 extra so if you're serious about one you're laying down about $1200 after fees, shipping and taxes.

I decided to take a shot in the dark and purchase three of these along with another member of the board so here it is:

The model # is KWBG 30ADL
Dimensions are 1.44 x .3
Incandescent display not VFD

Lit full (the camera didn't pick up the individual filaments well)

With socket

The other member and I are looking into getting it to scroll and install one in a gun within the next few weeks.

Please do not contact any companies unless you are serious about buying one and you have money up front. Do not mention ghostbusters or prop building. We all know what happened to the hat light company so I ask you to use this information responsibly.
jackdoud, kevinj319, Sutton621 and 13 others liked this
Wow. That sucks on the price, though. The original propmakers probably didn't know what they had on their hands with these.
This content received too many dislikes. Click SHOW to view
westies14 wrote:Amazing! What does it take to power and animate them? Is it something the mighty could handle?
It appears to have 30 filaments. If you drove the filaments in pairs that would give you 15 pairs, the same as the number of LEDs in a standard thower bargraph. Then, assuming 20mA was sufficient to light a pair of filaments, then in theory you could drive one of these displays without any major modification to the kit other than wiring up each pair of filaments in series.

It would be crazy to install one of these though. Incandescent displays surely have the same issue as incandescent bulbs... they would burn out at some point. And at a thousand bucks a pop, it wouldn't be cheap to replace it.
c05ta, seekandannoy, Ernest Reid and 1 others liked this
By c05ta
for those with the $ and the time this could be neat but personally ill stick with the LED and side of a CD case.
sure its not perfect but neither is the rest of my pack, it is made with parts that were made by other members and or my self and not the official parts that were used in the 80s. but at the end of the day only a hand full of people would ever notice, and im not losing any sleep over it.

however its always cool to know what was used and how they did it.
This content received too many dislikes. Click SHOW to view
You know it was pretty shitty of you two to sit on this information for three years and only release it after someone else independently discovered it and was kind enough to share what they'd learned with the community. Worse still is that it appears you created a new thread specifically to distance yourselves from the other guy; seeing as you have made no mention of him, or linked to his post.

Personally, I don't think we should be celebrating a couple of jokers who hoard info and only decide to release it when they're afraid they aren't going to get to take credit for it. The one who should get credit for the discovery is the guy who chose to publish the information first:

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 66#p442566

PS:

It appears this guy may also have beaten them to the punch on creating a circuit to drive the thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNM6BekzUw0
kevinj319, c05ta, seekandannoy and 4 others liked this
Here's some higher res. photos of these suckers lighting up.

As noslliT stated, these guys out of air craft control panels and are FAA certified (hence the hefty price tag). To get them to be statically lit is pretty easy, its getting them to move is slightly tougher, mainly because I can't just plug it into a bread board to test it; the pins are a goofy off-set pattern so we had to design a daughter board to solder our $100 socket to.

This piece of hardware is not for the faint of heart, mainly because of the price tag attached to it. So please, heed noslliT's disclaimer about searching around for these: they are rare to begin with, and bugging industrial suppliers of military grade electronics about a "Ghostbusters part" without the necessary capital would be detrimental to both yourself and the community. We're pretty sure the ONLY reason we were even able to purchase these was because we bought multiples of them, to be honest. Most companies will not even entertain you if you wish to purchase 1 and I believe the manufacturer has a minimum order of 20.
GhostGuy wrote:You know it was pretty shitty of you two to sit on this information for three years and only release it after someone else independently discovered it and was kind enough to share what they'd learned with the community. Worse still is that it appears you created a new thread specifically to distance yourselves from the other guy; seeing as you have made no mention of him, or linked to his post.

Personally, I don't think we should be celebrating a couple of jokers who hoard info and only decide to release it when they're afraid they aren't going to get to take credit for it. The one who should get credit for the discovery is the guy who chose to publish the information first:

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 66#p442566

PS:

It appears this guy may also have beaten them to the punch on creating a circuit to drive the thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNM6BekzUw0
First of all, we weren't sure if we had the correct info until we spent our hard earned money on these earlier this year in the HOPES that they were correct. How about you drop $3600 on a GUESS and then maybe you'll have the right to be self righteous about it.

Second of all, the bargraph in the video you posted is an LED bargraph. In fact, its the same one you can see in my own personal videos of my own electronics that are in my latest pack that Crix found over a year ago.

This LED bargraph is actually far more difficult to program because it has to be multiplexed to function as you see in the videos.

Next time, know what you're talking about before you berate others.
Chace, Kingpin, Gareee and 12 others liked this
GhostGuy wrote:You know it was pretty shitty of you two to sit on this information for three years and only release it after someone else independently discovered it and was kind enough to share what they'd learned with the community. Worse still is that it appears you created a new thread specifically to distance yourselves from the other guy; seeing as you have made no mention of him, or linked to his post.
I did not piggyback their information and I've been SEARCHING for 3 years while building packs and doing my own leg work.
How many bargraph threads have there been over the years btw? Besides, would you like to know how many hours, emails, and dollars it took to get to this point? I believe I'm justified to publish my own thread dedicated to this discovery. I don't have to justify myself to an opportunist like yourself. I was waiting to release the information once I had it in hand and working so we could do it justice and make sure it was correct.

Furthermore, they didn't find the bargraph but merely similar 7 segment filiment displays which are quite common. Search eBay

This is a project Matt and I invested in NOT YOU. Excuse us for not being completely transparent and as timely with that information as YOU felt was adequate for whatever reason.

You're in NO POSITION to judge me or my friend. In other words "blow it out your ass"
Chace, Gareee, jackdoud and 11 others liked this
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

This information is great!
Personally I do not care to have merit, I alone in the right direction to reveal, and
I'm just glad bargraph mystery unveiled.
Unfortunately, the original bar graph is far from my finances.

As far as bar charts that I have tested in my gun, I confirm that it is LED bargraph, precisely this:

AS151P-4204 12 C 7034 (YELLOW)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 0996950342

For animation, I connected in Jupiter Electronics Kit (LED output connector vent grill: fade in / out effect), is a temporary solution.

Disassembled

Gareee, AJ Quick, mburkit and 1 others liked this
Awesome find, guys!

It's great that the LED alternative is known and so much cheaper, though. Hopefully that will more than satiate those who can't afford the real deal, and keep the suppliers of the real thing from being bombarded wit time-wasting inquiries.
legend642, mburkit liked this
I hate you guys, seriously...I was more than happy to make do with a generally accepted bargraph and now you guys do this.

Question, how easy would the LED alternative be to replace the bargraph on a crix thrower?
Stunning discovery guys, stunning.

The last couple of years in this community have been incredibly exciting, and I suspect as discoveries go... this might be the crown jewel*. :)

A shame the genuine article is do disgustingly expensive... but kudos to you guys for plunging in despite the cost. You all rock. :)

If nothing else, this will help us bring replicas to a new level.

*At least, until something bigger is discovered.
Gareee, Sutton621 liked this
abaka wrote:I hate you guys, seriously...I was more than happy to make do with a generally accepted bargraph and now you guys do this.

Question, how easy would the LED alternative be to replace the bargraph on a crix thrower?
It depends on which of the Barmeter bargraphs you go with. The version that Legend642 posted is easier to use BUT its also over 2.5" long, which will not fit in an accurate gun body. From what I've seen of Legend642's build, he made is own aluminum gun (which is awesome, by the way), but the face of his gun seems to be a little taller to accommodate that bargraph.

The LED bargraph that I used (that is in the video I posted), is pretty much the same thing Legend642 posted, but without the driving module. Without that module, the bargraph is closer to 2 inches long, but then you have to figure out how to drive it yourself, which involves multiplexing and some other things to get it to work. Without the driver module, it will fit in an accurate gun body.

And just be to clear, I'm totally not knocking what Legend642 has, because it honestly looks awesome in his gun. I'm just explaining why I chose the model bargraph from barmeter that I did: though more difficult to use, it fits where I need it to, plain and simple.
Sound very complicated, I might just wait until (if) Propforge or Gbfans release a thrower kit. I wonder if you could buy one of the module and rip the lense off and just use the lense for the bargraph, or is the lense just a peice of clear plastic?
mburkit wrote:It depends on which of the Barmeter bargraphs you go with. The version that Legend642 posted is easier to use BUT its also over 2.5" long, which will not fit in an accurate gun body. From what I've seen of Legend642's build, he made is own aluminum gun (which is awesome, by the way), but the face of his gun seems to be a little taller to accommodate that bargraph.

The LED bargraph that I used (that is in the video I posted), is pretty much the same thing Legend642 posted, but without the driving module. Without that module, the bargraph is closer to 2 inches long, but then you have to figure out how to drive it yourself, which involves multiplexing and some other things to get it to work. Without the driver module, it will fit in an accurate gun body.

And just be to clear, I'm totally not knocking what Legend642 has, because it honestly looks awesome in his gun. I'm just explaining why I chose the model bargraph from barmeter that I did: though more difficult to use, it fits where I need it to, plain and simple.
You guessed it.
LED bar graph is longer, you would need to adapt to cut part of the lens housing to fit in the display window.
For testing, I positioned internally to cover part of the display (see drawing).
My aluminum gun is Gbnerds version, but without welds, I still have to do with MIG Welding Machine.

abaka wrote:.. I wonder if you could buy one of the module and rip the lense off and just use the lense for the bargraph, or is the lense just a peice of clear plastic?
Lens does not work on thin LED, I have already tried with Jupiter LED bar graph, the lens only works with point light source

AJ Quick, Martin, mburkit and 2 others liked this
Positron Props GB1 Pack Build

Awesome!! Good luck on your build! Tom's shell i[…]

Trailer posted for release for the Frozen Empire u[…]

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]