By Kingpin
Hoot wrote:Addendum:
I have looked and can't see of anyone who sources bellows/shock mounts in aluminum as replicas. Just resin and stacked washers. Any ideas guys?
Exoray used to sell them years ago, but I'm actually having difficulty recalling anyone who sold aluminium machined ones.
Hoot wrote: I wanna pose a question here about this. For his kit he is only missing the front hat light on the trigger ear? or is it on the gun box itself?
Also; can someone recommend a sound kit to match this light kit?
I've not been sure which of the hat lights he hadn't included a light as standard for, most of the lights are easy to assign but as the one he's included for the hat light is white, it could go in either (unlike Exoray, Jupiter didn't provide a guide for which lights went where)... I think I've even seen two people with the same uncorrected kit choose different hat lights to put the provided LED in.

But my guess would be the light he provided is for the hat light on the front of the Gun Box.
Hoot liked this
By drjameshouse
Kingpin wrote:
I have looked and can't see of anyone who sources bellows/shock mounts in aluminum as replicas. Just resin and stacked washers. Any ideas guys?
Exoray used to sell them years ago, but I'm actually having difficulty recalling anyone who sold aluminium machined ones.
JPA35 made some beautiful ones machined from aluminum. Obviously he is not around anymore, but perhaps there are some people who have upgraded their packs to the bellows AJ has made and are willing to part with them? I have a few but I'm not willing to part with them quite yet.
Hoot liked this
By bromie
I have to agree with Kingpin, from what I've seen of most light kits Jupiter's is one of the best (in my opinion). I don't like any extra fancy bits that weren't there in the movies, and I know we only saw certain features and animations for a few seconds but I think the kit still manages to stay the most faithful to the movie throwers.

It is missing the ear light, but I asked for an extra LED on a longer lead (like the barrel light) when I bought mine. I also changed the front gun box LED for a 3mm yellow one, to give a dim incandescent look like the super hero thrower.

He also makes a power booster board if you want a super-bright barrel or vent light (like Fago's build). And from what I remember you can change the vent light pulse on/off yourself by messing with the switches in a certain order (I can find out exactly from the email Julian sent me if anyone wants to know).

Oh, and it's really fast shipping. It gets sent from Canada to me in the UK and I've always received parts within a week!

I think there is less choice for soundboards, but I can definitely recommend the GBFans one. Just managed to get one in a trade for some pack parts - haven't got a shell to fit it to yet but I had a mess round with it and its amazing!! So easy to wire up, you can use it to share one power supply and you don't need to rewire your switches (don't even need DPDT - you can just splice a wire from anywhere one side of a switch if you're sharing a common power supply through the board).

I think they're coming back in stock in a month or two as well (in limited supply, so order fast!).

I can vouch for Umori's GB parts. I've bought a few things off him (trap vector plates, thrower s-hook and disc, and gun knobs) and they're always amazing quality. The shipping was only a week or two, so I don't know if other people have just had a bad experience??

MMM also does some really nice metal parts, as does Ejgunth87 (definitely recommend his v-hook).

Hope this helps your search, and good luck with your build :)
abaka, Hoot liked this
By Hoot
Well thanks for the input. I think I will wait until the GBFans board is available again and get Jupiters kit (makes sense he's in Canada as well and it oughta be fairly fast shipping to me a province over).

As for most of my aluminum parts;
MMM has fulfilled the majority of my metal bits 'n pieces for the pack itself. A few I have selected from the GBFans store (metal clamp and ribbon - made sense because they'd match up to each other).

On a brighter note today; I jumped the creek to Michigan to my shipping box to pick up my first order from AJ.
I gots me a shiny (and SHARP - OUCH!) motherboard, cyclotron lenses, power cell lens, cable clamp and Alice Frame LC-1. Should change that to GB-1 LOL.

Anyhow, thats my update for the day. I fixed my space in the garage to start the dry fit of parts as they come in during the next 2-3 weeks.

As for the V-Hook; I've been in contact with EJgunth87 and will acquire when he does his next run. I wanted to wait for his specifically because I want the reinforcement plate. Sure, its not true to the movie but Im a cluster-f**k on the best of days and wanted that part for certain to be secured.

Still working on sourcing some metal L-Brackets, replica Legris straights and elbows.

I also picked up some paints today. I picked up Rustoleum grey Auto Primer and Hammered (for the shell), flat for the motherboard. Does this seem correct?

Thats todays update. Tomorrow.... Well...tomorrow I go back to work. Then I'm away for the weekend so you will all get a reprieve from my "high school girl giddiness" about this project.
irricanian liked this
By 1985gbfan
Hey Hoot looking great so far. The best thing I could say is talk to MMM for the rivets and l brackets for the mounting for the shell. I used his and they work awesome. He even throws in the cap head screws as well as the washers. And your colors are looking great. I myself used satin black for everything since I was a bit of a noob when it came to painting but to me it looked great. Keep up the good work. man.
irricanian, Hoot liked this
By bromie
Wow, you're off to a running start!

I know what you mean about Ejgunth's v-hook, i went for the reinforcement plate as well! As far as i'm concerned the inside of the packs were a bit of a mixed bag, and it's not like people see the inside as much as the outside so it's fine going whichever way you feel is best.

I've also got one of MMM's pack mounting kits and can agree that he supplies everything you need! It's only fairly cheap and he sends everything - L-brackets, large head rivets, socket head screws and washers.
I think i also got my replica straights either from MMM or the GBFans store. Best keep a request in the wanted section, everyone's always been really helpful whenever i've been missing something.

For the elbows i actually modified my own (SMC elbows from the GBFans store). First i removed the little plug from the front of the elbow. This just pulls right out with enough force.

Once i'd done that i painted the elbows with Plastikote grey primer (the kind with the twisty cap) and left to dry. When they were dry i cut 5mm brass tubing to length (4mm internal diameter, which is the same as the thinner yellow/red pack tubing) - i eyed this up and compared with reference photos to judge the correct length. I was able to cut the tubing with a hacksaw as the uncut end would be the one hanging out of the elbow. I just dropped a glob of 5 minute epoxy into the elbow and pushed the brass tubing into place and left to cure. Here's another shot:

This might not be completely accurate but i was plenty happy with them! :wink:

As far as i know it should technically be grey primer on all parts (except the motherboard) with a topcoat of satin black. The motherboard is just the satin topcoat, and pack texturing is down to preference. Most people pick a texture they like and and choose which areas to have it on - it's one of those things that isn't massively consistent so people just usually pick a style they like the look of.

For example, this is from KagaSakai's build:

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... re#p455227

This was a pchrisbosh1 shell so the texture was part of the mould, but you see the idea.

Also, here's a pack Nick-a-Tron built for elwoodlpool:

http://www.theukghostbusters.co.uk/foru ... &start=10&

He used Plastikote Stone Touch here, which is what i'm going to use as i personally like this look a bit more than the hammered. Although, the texture on the actual packs was a bit closer to the hammered finish:

(This is the GB2 semi hero from this thread about what the best paint finish was: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 2&t=24891&)

There's also this tutorial by pchrishbosh1: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... re&start=0.

As you can see there's plenty of variation on the issue, so it's just one of those things that you pick the look you like and go for it! :-D KagaSakai's pack seems to show the areas which are most commonly textured (and the style i'll be going for). One of the other main things is to try and use the same paint brand in all of your products. It's not a dead cert but some people have had problems with mixing brands so it's best to remove that possibility.

I'm already jealous though even with a painted motherboard :cry: I've got literally everything collected, prepped and painted, but i'm just waiting for Nick-a-Tron's new GB1 shell.
irricanian, 1985gbfan, Kingpin and 2 others liked this
By Hoot
Thanks. I'm really going to take all this information in.

Can anyone chime in on a more hardware issue.
I know I need to drill and tap some things. Seeing as I am using a gbfans shell, any tips for drilling hole sizes for the parts from MMM that I will be attaching? Bit sizes and tap sizes?
Also; does onw just drill thw shell or is it also tapped?
By irricanian
All of the MMM Aluminum parts come with mounting bolts and washers so all you'll need to do is drill the corresponding holes in the shell to mount them. If the hole locations are not already marked on the shell just look at the reference photos in the wiki for placement...and remember, measure twice ...cut once :)
Hoot liked this
By Hoot
Ah crap, you mean I have to do math?
Y'all know Im a meathead right? LMAO

Just an update; I am getting some SMC elbows and straights from MMM for the time being (I'll either modify them as shown above or buy replicas when I can get to some), I am also awaiting 2 lovely care packages from the Shop here and MMM's aluminum parts

I was also able to buy 2 real Clippards from Jupiter (none on Fleabay). That makes me happy...happy happy happy.

Also, what size taps will I need to buy. Tomorrow I wont be able to run about and get what I need as I have to make my current car look nice enough to trade in for the new truck I am getting this week.
Shell is being shipped Monday and I would think it would be here by friday which gives me the weekend to work on it and dry fit the parts to it.
By Hoot
1985gbfan wrote:Hey Hoot looking great so far. The best thing I could say is talk to MMM for the rivets and l brackets for the mounting for the shell. I used his and they work awesome. He even throws in the cap head screws as well as the washers. And your colors are looking great. I myself used satin black for everything since I was a bit of a noob when it came to painting but to me it looked great. Keep up the good work. man.
He's currently out of stock but I will wait until he gets some more in.
By irricanian
Hoot wrote:
1985gbfan wrote:Hey Hoot looking great so far. The best thing I could say is talk to MMM for the rivets and l brackets for the mounting for the shell. I used his and they work awesome. He even throws in the cap head screws as well as the washers. And your colors are looking great. I myself used satin black for everything since I was a bit of a noob when it came to painting but to me it looked great. Keep up the good work. man.
He's currently out of stock but I will wait until he gets some more in.
I'll see if I can scrounge up a set and send them along with your fittings :cool:
1985gbfan, Hoot liked this
By 1985gbfan
Wow helping and being a good sales man for MMM. I rock. Just kidding Colin always came through for me and I know he will do the same for you. As far as drilling and tapping go Colin said it best for me I only needed a 1/4 inch tap and I bought threaded inserts but my stuff was resin. So you shouldn't need to worry about that stuff. Hope to see more pics soon.
Hoot, Glenn Frederick liked this
By Hoot
Lol sales man. Considering the wait out there for parts on aluminum and considering he's had the majority of his stuff in hand and stocked I bought from him lol
irricanian liked this
By Hoot
Question for those out there:
I'd like to at the very least mount the motherboard to my Alice Frame this week.
That being said, my MOBO is a GBFans and I have an LC-1 frame.

What do I need for the three holes as per length and size of bolt?
Also: how far up on the frame do I mount?
By Hoot
Kingpin wrote:
Thanks Kingpin;
I managed to get a shock mount and booster tube purchased from Ejgunth87 who was kind enough to send me one....for a fee...of course ;)
By irricanian
Hoot wrote:Question for those out there:
I'd like to at the very least mount the motherboard to my Alice Frame this week.
That being said, my MOBO is a GBFans and I have an LC-1 frame.

What do I need for the three holes as per length and size of bolt?
Also: how far up on the frame do I mount?
Hoot.... Do you have a Metal Supermarkets near you? You can get the brackets cut there, they don't have a minimum order and will cut it to the 2" lengths you need. You're looking for 1" x 2" x 1/8" aluminum angle cut to 2" or if your doing a GB1 go with the size Venky uses.
Hoot liked this
By Hoot
irricanian wrote: Hoot.... Do you have a Metal Supermarkets near you? You can get the brackets cut there, they don't have a minimum order and will cut it to the 2" lengths you need. You're looking for 1" x 2" x 1/8" aluminum angle cut to 2" or if your doing a GB1 go with the size Venky uses.
Negative nothing like that around these here parts. There are steel shops about but they dont take private small scale orders (assholes...the lot of them).

Im more wanting to pre-drill the holes on my frame to attach the motherboard.
By Hoot
Anyone able to give me a hand with the right bolt sizes to mount the motherboard to the Alice frame and the right heights?

Also; just ordered all my tubing minus 3/4" and 1/4" loom. But I did order GBFans pack lights.
hehehehehe
By abaka
Hoot wrote:So I am trying to source an aluminum gun kit. So far I see only Anhcon and CPU. did I miss anyone?

Others have already mentioned Freeky Geeky and also the potential wait times, I believe his new shop has eradicated the weight times but I can't comment as I've never had a wait with any purcases from him before his shop rebranded or after.

There is also other sellers potentially offering gun kits. Vincenzo has discussed potentially offering his throwers again as he is considering buying a welder so he can make them affordable for himself again. I highly recommend dealign with Vince, he's an excellent seller.

Then there's another guy Ejgunth87 is offering the metal parts for guns (TB-RIB, Front Cylinder, Rear Cylinder, Gun Tracks) and as far as I remember he's also looking into offering guns. I've no experience dealing with him so can't comment on his product or his customer service, I have been impressed by his products and posts as an external observer though.

Then I also believe Jimbo7 is close to doing a full thrower kit, I've purchased other metal parts from him and they are all quality items, I've also seen pictures of his previous throwers and they're top notch. I also highly recommend Jim also cause his quality is fantastic, his business practices are impeccable and he's also a good guy to communicate with.

Franchesky & CPU can be a mixed bag and plenty of others could inform you on the pros and cons of these guys.

If you are prepared to wait for the 3 sellers I've listed above to confirm that they are doing thrower runs along with the 3 people already suggested you should be spoiled for choice.
By Letmebleed75
Freekygeekys new shop hasn't fixed anything. I'm still waiting on parts from 2 years ago. First there done then they aren't. Stay away unless you don't mind waiting till your almost in your grave.
Vincenzo330, Hoot, abaka liked this
By Vincenzo330
I have to disagree when it comes to Jupiter's light kits. I would avoid him at all costs. Aside from the fact that he's not a community member, despite being well aware of the community, he is responsible for supplying VideoBob with all of his electronics.

Either get your lights from Crix, who has full sets in stock right now, ready to ship, or wait for te GBFans kits.

But please, if you care about our community do not support Jupiter lights.
Hoot, AJ Quick, abaka and 4 others liked this
By Letmebleed75
^^^^^^^^^^

Couldn't agree more
Vincenzo330, Hoot liked this
By Hoot
I appreciate the input on both my wand and lighting/sound kits.
At this time; I am planning to serve more the community rather than my own ends.

I have ordered the GBFans pack kit, waiting on wand and soundboard to become available.

Jupiter was the only place I could just quick order real clippards and he shipped fast so I can't say anything bad about him.

Other than that....there's where I sit.

I will be on the sidelines here temporarily to start building JUST the pack. Wife just saw how much I've spent. I'm in shit now.
Well....that and the new truck in the driveway LMAO....
Vincenzo330 liked this
By Letmebleed75
They get over it pretty quick when they see what you can build on your own :)
By abaka
Another light seller to mention here is Jackdoud/Propforge. He has an interest list up now for some pack lights, I have a set of these and they are fantastic, plus Jack is great to deal with. In my honest opinion I actually prefer the Propforge to the GBFans pack lights simply because I'm a fan of the Milky White lights offered in the Propforge package which resemble the incandescent bulbs closer to the red/blue leds.

This is no way a criticism of the GBfans packages because I plan on running both my hero/semi hero pack with the full GBfans package.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]