By dafoerder
Vincenzo330 wrote:I really don't think anyone is ever going to top this pack. Not even considering the venting features, the light kit is enough to make my jaw drop.

Super Kudos to Twilight and Randy! ==6

Agreed This is the pack i would want to see in gb3
By Judhudson
Would it be wrong to ask for advice on how to at least make the bumper extend out like you did? You said you used air cylinders, right? Would anything else work electronically to extend it out, or would air be the only way to go?

I love the venting, and I think I can figure that part out (although I may look into using something other than the air cans) it's the extending pieces that get me. :)
By Twilight
Judhudson wrote:Would it be wrong to ask for advice on how to at least make the bumper extend out like you did? You said you used air cylinders, right? Would anything else work electronically to extend it out, or would air be the only way to go?

I love the venting, and I think I can figure that part out (although I may look into using something other than the air cans) it's the extending pieces that get me. :)
Nothing wrong with asking but what you are looking for is a simple solution which there is none, I chose to use a air cylinder type actuator because of it's compactness and simplicity but I had to make it because there was nothing off the shelf that suited my design. As far as alternatives the only other feasible way to do it would be to use a linear actuator but the problem with them is that they are bulky but you might be able to find one small enough with about a 3" stroke if you look around.
By Borzou
Are there other sources of compressed air that can be used? Let's say I was working on project and I wanted to use a small co2 tank, would that work?
By Boomerjinks
I would LOVE a video showing the detail of the pack, without it being worn by someone who won't stand still for a second because they can't stop pretending the gun is actually firing.
Alan Hawkins, drjameshouse, Borzou and 9 others liked this
By julz
Very Very Choice, nice work on the mechanics :cool:

What are you using for the steam?
Ron Daniels liked this
By Borzou
julz wrote:Very Very Choice, nice work on the mechanics :cool:

What are you using for the steam?
Twilight wrote:I use canned compressed gas to drive the mechanisms as well as produce the venting effect. The aerosol cans are connected via custom made fittings that I designed to tap the valve stems of the 2 cans that are used in the pack.
Ron Daniels, Vee, Dougger liked this
By Twilight
Borzou wrote:Are there other sources of compressed air that can be used? Let's say I was working on project and I wanted to use a small co2 tank, would that work?
Originally Randy wanted to use co2 for the venting effect but co2 is problematic because of it's high pressure (2800 psi) and the bulky nature of the apparatus such as the tank, valves and lines. Also, you don't get much use out of a tank of co2, not to mention the inherent danger of such high pressure, so it's just not practical. On the other hand aerosol cans are less than 100 psi, low cost (about $3/can), very compact, and very safe. I would seriously advise not messing with co2, you could put your eye out!
Johntheone liked this
By GreyLady
This pack is awesome! I see a lot of hoses in there but if you are not using CO2 what makes things move?
By smithincanton
Twilight wrote:
Borzou wrote:Are there other sources of compressed air that can be used? Let's say I was working on project and I wanted to use a small co2 tank, would that work?
Originally Randy wanted to use co2 for the venting effect but co2 is problematic because of it's high pressure (2800 psi) and the bulky nature of the apparatus such as the tank, valves and lines. Also, you don't get much use out of a tank of co2, not to mention the inherent danger of such high pressure, so it's just not practical. On the other hand aerosol cans are less than 100 psi, low cost (about $3/can), very compact, and very safe. I would seriously advise not messing with co2, you could put your eye out!

I have a question about the canned air you are using. Most all the cans that I have looked at have a bitterant in them to stop huffing. In just using a can to clean my computer you can taste it in the air for a good half hour. Have you been able to find a source for canned air with out the bitterant? I was completely flabbergasted when I saw the first video. I am in the process of planning and buying parts for my own pack and had plans to build something similar to the Phoenix Pack. A mashup of GB1 and the video game. Any details on the pneumatic (pistons, valves, etc) would be greatly appreciated! Awesome work!

smithincanton
By Twilight
smithincanton wrote: I have a question about the canned air you are using. Most all the cans that I have looked at have a bitterant in them to stop huffing. In just using a can to clean my computer you can taste it in the air for a good half hour. Have you been able to find a source for canned air with out the bitterant? I was completely flabbergasted when I saw the first video. I am in the process of planning and buying parts for my own pack and had plans to build something similar to the Phoenix Pack. A mashup of GB1 and the video game. Any details on the pneumatic (pistons, valves, etc) would be greatly appreciated! Awesome work!

smithincanton
I use Blow Off brand dusters which also contains the bitterant but I've never really noticed and bitterness in the air after using it. A alternative to the dusters which contain difluoroethane is the freeze spray which doesn't contain the bitterant but cost about $10 can wholesale as apposed to the dusters that are about $3 a can in bulk. The main difference between the freeze spray and the duster besides the cost is that the freeze spray contains the non flamable compound (tetrafluoroethane) as apposed to the flammable difluorethane. I quit using the freeze spray years ago because the duster can be used as freeze spray just by inverting the can and it's flammability is so mild it's not even worth worrying about so it's not a problem when using it to find thermal intermittent faults in low voltage electronic circuits. As for pneumatic components I used mostly Clippard Minimatic parts such as the EV-2-12 mouse valves for the venting and the MME-41NES-W012 to control the actuators. You can order a catalog from their website http://www.clippard.com for free. They specialize in miniature pneumatic components.
Ecto-1 fan, GAVAL liked this
By GAVAL
I love that you're actually using Clippard products as they were intended to be used. HE'S USING A CLIPPARD VALVE AS A CLIPPARD VALVE! THE AUDACITY!
Gareee, AJ Quick, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
By AJ Quick
Twilight wrote: Originally Randy wanted to use co2 for the venting effect but co2 is problematic because of it's high pressure (2800 psi) and the bulky nature of the apparatus such as the tank, valves and lines. Also, you don't get much use out of a tank of co2, not to mention the inherent danger of such high pressure, so it's just not practical. On the other hand aerosol cans are less than 100 psi, low cost (about $3/can), very compact, and very safe. I would seriously advise not messing with co2, you could put your eye out!
What about the CO2 cartriges used for paintball? You could probably mount them on the ALICE Pack Frame... or even replace the booster with one that could screw in.
By movieprop
The effects on this pack are epic! Great job!

May I ask, what brand and model actuators are you using? From the picture it looks like just a single air line goes to each... I must not be seeing it right.
By Borzou
Boomerjinks wrote:I would LOVE a video showing the detail of the pack, without it being worn by someone who won't stand still for a second because they can't stop pretending the gun is actually firing.
I don't think any of us would be standing still from the excitement from buying a pack like that. It's like Christmas!
travisccook, Dougger, GAVAL and 1 others liked this
By Randy Fernandez
Hey Borzou, don't attempt to use Co2 tanks unless you are prepared to fool with dangerously high levels of PSI. I did spend a lot of money on the research prior to this final build that you see and Twilight will contest to my past research which we both agreed would be safer and more practical. I did have some involvement in building this pack, just so we are clear. :D
GAVAL liked this
By smithincanton
Randy Fernandez wrote:Hey Borzou, don't attempt to use Co2 tanks unless you are prepared to fool with dangerously high levels of PSI. I did spend a lot of money on the research prior to this final build that you see and Twilight will contest to my past research which we both agreed would be safer and more practical. I did have some involvement in building this pack, just so we are clear. :D
Randy! Welcome to gbfans.com! I have to say the the pack is amazing. I for one hope we get to see a more detailed video of the pack in action. It really is a work of art, clean, a bit of classic, a bit of video game, a lot of awesome. I touched on this of Twilight , but how is the bitterant from the canned air? I know I use a can to clean my computer and you can taste it in the air for a good while after. Thank you for posting such great videos!
By Randy Fernandez
(CORRECTION) Twilight and I looked at both options thoroughly, together and separate. Compressed air is the best option, hands down. Perhaps different brands in compressed air are still debatable but, established. I have preached caution to a few GB members testing these ideas around the sites and I for one, strongly urge not to use Co2 tanks, especially after all the time and materials I've exhausted in making a worthy demo, right Twilight.?.. lol!! over a year ago while helping Todd build the ELITA 1 pack, which didn't work out too well. The PSI in Co2 tanks are extremely high for handling in bad temperature conditions & if you intend on making and building moving parts like the bumpers, rods, booster tubes, or N-filters. using this pressure..it could potentially become a dangerous projectile if not handled properly if Twilight had not already mentioned this yet. It's OVER KILL anyway, if you trust your own work then more power to you but, it's dangerous and hazardous for the inexperienced builder. Not to mention the smoke effect truly isn't the best in comparison on top of that.
GAVAL liked this
By Twilight
What about the CO2 cartriges used for paintball? You could probably mount them on the ALICE Pack Frame... or even replace the booster with one that could screw in.
The use of the small cartridges changes nothing, you are still dealing with too much pressure and if you regulate the pressure down to something safe to use in public you will totally lose what little steam effect high pressure co2 produces. Aerosol cans are the safest, cheapest and most practical way to go. Like anything commonsense and consideration should always be exercised when using something like this in public. As I often say, "freedom goes hand in hand with responsibility".
GAVAL, Randy Fernandez liked this
By Skyknight
Showoff!

Naa just kidding, this pack is AMAAAAAAZIING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't had Xbox Live for a while, but I'm consi[…]

I cut out the middleman and sprayed my pack and ba[…]

I'm hoping we'll see another set when the next F[…]

GBFANS Ghostlabs light kit

When you say you only have the proton pack light k[…]