By syckotheklown
I'm glad we finally have some resolve on this issue. Thanks Mattel for putting a dummy plug and then just leaving it without explanation. And thank you sir for your investigation on this matter.
By akabean2004
xSadisticSmilex wrote:Well I have returned with the results. Ladies and gentlemen, that is no audio output. While we had it hooked to the oscilloscope, the only thing we picked up was a small dc voltage source. Now given I have no clue about this kind of stuff, I asked her opinion. She said in most cases with tech, a small dc voltage is used to trigger a triac. Which would be used to switch lights and other audio on internally to whatever it would be hooked up to. This could be either a sensitive triac or a low level, errr some other triac.

My speculation is that Mattel did in fact make a prototype pack, which is why these have the hook up they do. Now I am not saying we will ever see that, but it's clearly the reason it's there.

Oh and Darkspectre, my two packs have the matty wands. I wired the lights from my pack straight to the activate switch. However I am having some back feed into the lights of the packs, which I haven't figured out how to fix as of yet.

Hope this info ends a long circling question!
Excuse my tech ignorance, but couldn't we manipulate that into something useful? Someone who knew of these things could identify the different signals, what they correspond to, and make something of a sound board that would correspond with the signals?
By Smeghead
In theory, it should be possible to make a circuit that could read the signals from the Matty wand and trigger pack lights. But personally, I wouldn't know where to start. :P
By xSadisticSmilex
syckotheklown wrote:I'm glad we finally have some resolve on this issue. Thanks Mattel for putting a dummy plug and then just leaving it without explanation. And thank you sir for your investigation on this matter.
My pleasure! It had been bugging me to find out for the longest time. Glad I could answer it and help!
By EctoTron1
I'm having a issue with my Matty wand. After I tried to connect a speaker wire from the small speaker inside the wand to another external speaker (which worked I might add), the motor inside slowed down and has now completely stopped working, so now the wand doesn't extend and it doesn't vibrate when being fired, also it takes a second or two to turn on now.

I don't know what I've done or how to fix it.
By jnrosemas
Hello! I'm new to the community and this is my first message. I'm building out a pack and using the Matty wand (for now). In order to get it to work with an amp and speaker solution in the pack, I just soldered some leads to the same location the current ones are soldered onto the speaker. The result has been sound out of both the speaker in the gun and the speaker in the pack.

Thanks!
Nick
By thelegendofvix
Here's a question. Is it possible to connect the switches and everything inside the matty wand to the GBfans sound board? I read the instructions document and it seems like this may work. I think you might have to run the wires from each switch to the soundboard. Is this possible?
By iam8114
EctoTron1 wrote:I'm having a issue with my Matty wand. After I tried to connect a speaker wire from the small speaker inside the wand to another external speaker (which worked I might add), the motor inside slowed down and has now completely stopped working, so now the wand doesn't extend and it doesn't vibrate when being fired, also it takes a second or two to turn on now.

Not that I really know what I'm talking about, but I'd say its likely the speaker is drawing too much power so the motors don't have enough to run?
By EctoTron1
iam8114 wrote:
EctoTron1 wrote:I'm having a issue with my Matty wand. After I tried to connect a speaker wire from the small speaker inside the wand to another external speaker (which worked I might add), the motor inside slowed down and has now completely stopped working, so now the wand doesn't extend and it doesn't vibrate when being fired, also it takes a second or two to turn on now.

Not that I really know what I'm talking about, but I'd say its likely the speaker is drawing too much power so the motors don't have enough to run?
The thing is though even when the speakers not plugged in the motor won't work. Looks like I'm going to have to spend £160 on a new one, oh well at least I'll finally be able to see what happens when I cross the streams.
By jnrosemas
iam8114 wrote:Gotcha. Then that wouldn't be the culprit. Maybe you broke a soder point or something?
I encountered this briefly when things weren't soldered quite right. He should make sure the solder points are correct or try disconnecting the speaker wires altogether from the speaker and see what happens. The wand can be pretty touchy if things aren't connected perfectly.
By EctoPrimer
It's strange because the way he describes it was like when I first got mine. I changed the batteries and was fine. Suggesting your new speaker sucks up juice too fast. Do new batteries help?
By EctoTron1
EctoPrimer wrote:It's strange because the way he describes it was like when I first got mine. I changed the batteries and was fine. Suggesting your new speaker sucks up juice too fast. Do new batteries help?
I tried new batteries, but sadly not much changed.
It does come back to life very briefly every now and then, the wand extends, but it really struggles and stops half way, then it won't work for ages.
By EctoTron1
jnrosemas wrote:I encountered this briefly when things weren't soldered quite right. He should make sure the solder points are correct or try disconnecting the speaker wires altogether from the speaker and see what happens. The wand can be pretty touchy if things aren't connected perfectly.
Fixed now.
I disconnected the blue/white plug connecting the speaker to the circuit board and plugged it back in and left it for a while.
When I came back to it, it was working like new again :D
By akabean2004
EctoTron1 wrote:
jnrosemas wrote:I encountered this briefly when things weren't soldered quite right. He should make sure the solder points are correct or try disconnecting the speaker wires altogether from the speaker and see what happens. The wand can be pretty touchy if things aren't connected perfectly.
Fixed now.
I disconnected the blue/white plug connecting the speaker to the circuit board and plugged it back in and left it for a while.

Hooray!
By jnrosemas
EctoTron1 wrote:
Fixed now.
Glad to hear it!
By mikemmacd
Has anyone found a way to clamshell open the wand with minimal damage and simply rewire the speaker output to reuse the existing 1/8" jack in the handle? Seems like it's just a matter of swapping pins on the small board inside the wand.
By ecto88mph
Video bob (banned user/blacklisted) has a youtube vidoe where he has worked a matty thrower into his pack he is selling for an insane amount of money. I only say this because based on his video is it possible.
By JC Arkham
I don't know if this has come up but I plugged a pair of headphones into the back end grip and when I fired the gun I got some signal coming through. I think it this was hooked through a power supply, it just might emit sound.
By ecto88mph
JC Arkham wrote:I don't know if this has come up but I plugged a pair of headphones into the back end grip and when I fired the gun I got some signal coming through. I think it this was hooked through a power supply, it just might emit sound.
Already been confirmed to not carry audio.
By csullivan1980
I wonder what the reason why it's there. Must serve a purpose, right? Why else is it on there?

Other than audio cables are there other devices that use jacks like headphone jacks?
By Smeghead
A jack can also be used to send a basic on / off signal to other gadgets (like a pack if one ever gets made).
By venkman30
My belief on the jack is that if they ever make packs then that jack will send on off signaled to lights. Gotta remember these come from a toy company. Not a genuine prop making company. Even tho they do call these prop replicas. I don't beleive they would make a pack with a speaker in it. I bet the only speaker would be in the wand and the pack it's self would be mostly plastic and be light weight. Especially if ppl are buying them for their kids also. Yes it would prob have your basic light function but other then that hoping for any more then that in a pack from matty would be just down right crazy. Just my opinion tho.
By Ecto-won-ton
Spongeface wrote:Would anyone be interested in pack electronics (lights and possibly sound) that worked with an unmodified Matty Wand?

The electronics would connect to the wand with a single thin cable that has a plug that mates with the jack in the wand's handle, but would need a separate battery located in the pack.
Any luck on this project? Because my future pack build is going to rely heavily on this gadget lol

Keep up the good work!
By Ecto-won-ton
Just been thinking about the possabilities of the matty wand being compatible with the gbfans sound board. Probably not eh? Darn, I wish I knew how to build one that does. I mean I am aware of a certain prop builder that uses matty wands on his packs and i can't believe that he did it himself so maybe it can be done.
I'm going to go and muse on this a bit more, lol. :roland:
By thelegendofvix
Ecto-won-ton wrote:Just been thinking about the possabilities of the matty wand being compatible with the gbfans sound board. Probably not eh? Darn, I wish I knew how to build one that does. I mean I am aware of a certain prop builder that uses matty wands on his packs and i can't believe that he did it himself so maybe it can be done.
I'm going to go and muse on this a bit more, lol. :roland:
He did not connect it to the GBFans soundboard. All he did was connect it to a speaker, which is what Lowberg did on page 4 of this thread.

I was in your situation (see all my comments above). Honestly, what i did was gut my Matty wand and then install the GBFans proton wand kit. I guess it's now a franken-matty. I love it because it is ultra light (like 10X lighter than aluminum or resin kits), connects to my other GBFans electronics, and I like the frosted wand tip that comes on the matty.
Cons: I spent $180 on the matty when I possibly could have done it for cheaper by buying a kit on the forms. If I drop it the plastic will probably crack (hence why an aluminum kit would be ideal).
By venkman30
I would love to wire up my matty wand to my sc pack it for the price I paid for the matty wand I really don't wanna try to open it and take the chance of breaking it. For where I live the matty wand was cheaper for me to get rather then buying a thrower kit. It would have been nice if the matty wand acted like a plug and play device.

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]

After 2 years of this failed Walmart trap conversi[…]

Wanna play Unleashed with me?

I'm ready big man whenever you want let's goooooo.[…]