By NoodleMaps
thebigone2087 wrote:I am using the same labels and they do look great once they are on the parts. My shell should arrive tomorrow, man I cannot wait. Your build is looking GREAT!!! I am anxious to see how it turns out.
Thanks! I'm anxious to see how it turns out as well.

Here is a better/closer shot of the print out. Will need to try out my Xxacto skills when I'm ready to put them on but they should work just fine.

By NoodleMaps
Went and bought a drill and some bits today. Didn't want to have to rely on friends and their schedule to get things done. It is charging. I did get one of the N-Filter holes drilled out on the charge that was on the battery when it came out of the box but then it died. So in 6hrs. BAM!! I'm drilling some freakin' holes.
By thebigone2087
Haha awesome! Every hole I drilled for everything was done with a simple hand drill... Annoying? Yes. Gets the job done? Absolutely!
By NoodleMaps
Sat outside today sanding and prepping my resin parts. It was a cool 88 degrees, perfect weather. I also drilled many of the holes in the shell to "some" success. There will need to be some cleanup. Hey, It's not a complete loss....yet. I will defenitly need to replace the n-Fitler as it is a sore to my eyes BUT it won't be for anyone just looking at the pack. One hole is slightly off and that will drive me INSANE! So my first aluminum part will be to replace the N-Filter. I didn't take any photos of the progress but I may add some later tonight if I get around to it. Got a little sunburned sitting outside and probably a tad dehydrated, so not feeling 100% at the moment.

I love the thought of "Hey, I have everything I need now!" that turns into "Oh crap! I have a ton of work to do on this thing now." It's not an easy process but it also isn't hard. It's just very time consuming. So after a full weekend of drilling holes and sanding resin I managed to.....mount 2 Legris Straight Fittings.

Any progress is still progress.
By NoodleMaps
Harry Bardwell wrote:you know the real packs had uneven filter hole placement right :)
Thanks! That may make me feel better.

I'm really weird about these things and this one hole (even if it's okay) will eat at me until they are all on the same line. I know, I know, I'm messed up. Once I sand them down and fix the little chips around them maybe it won't look as bad to me. I followed the dimples on the GBFans shell but one hole came out lower on the filter than all the others. It may be fine for some ( and I'll really try not to dwell on it because it's on the underside of the pack) but it will still naw at me because I am just a little bit insane.

But to answer your question. No, I was unaware of that. I saw these perfectly made templates for the holes on here and just assumed that they were perfect on the screen used packs as well.
By adsfuse
NoodleMaps wrote: and just assumed that they were perfect on the screen used packs as well.
Everything on the screen used packs was crooked, sloppy and rushed. The only thing that is perfect about them is that they are screen used packs! :cool:
alphabeta001 liked this
By c05ta
adsfuse wrote:
NoodleMaps wrote: and just assumed that they were perfect on the screen used packs as well.
Everything on the screen used packs was crooked, sloppy and rushed. The only thing that is perfect about them is that they are screen used packs! :cool:

Thats a good way to think of it. Maybe a pic of the offending n-filter hole hole will could help us find an excuse to make it cannon.
8-)

But I totally hear you about the need to be perfect. I personally "finished" my pack and loved the fact that it wasn't weathered or beat looking. After 2+ years its gotten a ton of upgrades and scuff marks/ scrapes / over spray from touch ups on the upgrades. And I wouldn't have it any other way. It just makes it look awesome and every scratch or blemish is a memory of an event, or build day.
By NoodleMaps
c05ta wrote: Maybe a pic of the offending n-filter hole hole will could help us find an excuse to make it cannon.
8-)
Here is the offended hole. No sanding or cleanup has been done yet. I realize I am over-reacting and it isn't that big of a deal. It's the "I spent this much $$ for all of this so it must be perfect" attitude that is screwing with me right now.

By c05ta
Looks alright to me, but if you really dont like it, you can try filling the hole with some plumbers epoxy then refilling with a sanding bit on a Dremel.
Its at least worth a shot because it's cheaper than an aluminum n filter :)
By NoodleMaps
Thanks guys, No, I'm just going to clean up the chips and live with it. It really isn't that bad. The image was much worse in my mind after I did it. I swear my mind had the hole a full half an inch lower than all the other holes. It wasn't until I went back to take the photo that I thought that it wasn't really as awful as I originally thought. It will be just fine.
By Hoot
NoodleMaps wrote:Sat outside today sanding and prepping my resin parts. It was a cool 88 degrees, perfect weather. I also drilled many of the holes in the shell to "some" success. There will need to be some cleanup. Hey, It's not a complete loss....yet. I will defenitly need to replace the n-Fitler as it is a sore to my eyes BUT it won't be for anyone just looking at the pack. One hole is slightly off and that will drive me INSANE! So my first aluminum part will be to replace the N-Filter. I didn't take any photos of the progress but I may add some later tonight if I get around to it. Got a little sunburned sitting outside and probably a tad dehydrated, so not feeling 100% at the moment.
I love this build.

I hate that you have good weather for it. A curse of a monsoon on you.
Good work, are u going to mock up everything then paint it all at once, or just do one piece at a time?

Either way make sure you buy your paint a 6 pack at a time, sometimes there can be a small variation in finish from one batch of paint to another.
c05ta wrote:Good work, are u going to mock up everything then paint it all at once, or just do one piece at a time?

Either way make sure you buy your paint a 6 pack at a time, sometimes there can be a small variation in finish from one batch of paint to another.
Exactly. Mocking the whole pack up first. Sanding and prepping each part individually. Once it is all assembled, I will take it apart and prep the shell and then paint everything all at once. May be a longer route to go but it makes me feel more comfortable.
NoodleMaps wrote:Tonight I tackled the Ion Arm. Not sure if I put it together correctly, but in comparing it to the reference images I think I did a decent job.
:cool:

It looks pretty good. The end cap looks like it is sitting a tad low (or the Ion Arm itself is a bit undersized).

You might want to remove the gold nut on the round resistor, since the screen-used packs didn't have it.
Demon Vice Commander wrote: You might want to remove the gold nut on the round resistor, since the screen-used packs didn't have it.
Put the gold nut on the inside. Helps to secure it.

I would concur that the ion arm does look undersized in comparison to ion rod and resistors. I would double check the measurements against Stefan's plans. Where did you get it?
Demon Vice Commander wrote: You might want to remove the gold nut on the round resistor, since the screen-used packs didn't have it.
Thanks, I will do that. That was a part that was throwing me off. I was looking at this photo

and couldn't tell if I was seeing it there or not (not the greatest eyes) I'll get it out of there.

I think the arm is too big that I purchased. It's flush on the top (unless that is wrong) and hangs low over on the bottom. One of my first purchases. But then this reference image shows an overhang on the bottom as well. Image
So I may be confused again.
35FT_TWINKIE wrote: Put the gold nut on the inside. Helps to secure it.
It's solid resin. I guess I could hollow it all out but I think I will just get rid of the nut and use some glue to secure it.
35FT_TWINKIE wrote:
Demon Vice Commander wrote: I would concur that the ion arm does look undersized in comparison to ion rod and resistors. I would double check the measurements against Stefan's plans. Where did you get it?
I got all the Resin parts from Crix http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 06#p460206
Hoot wrote:Where you get the cap and rod from?
This was an ebay purchase. One of the first ones I made. EBAY LINK REMOVED
Last edited by Kingpin on February 21st, 2014, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: To links to live auctions, please.
In the description of the cap it states Built to Stephans plans.

Crix cast those from Vincenzos updated parts and therefore that might be why its oversized.

I have this week commenced my most ambitious proje[…]

I haven't had Xbox Live for a while, but I'm consi[…]

I cut out the middleman and sprayed my pack and ba[…]

I'm hoping we'll see another set when the next F[…]