First off - this is a really amazing system and idea. Well done to all involved!

I was able to toss together a quick visual layout for the wiring, for those who aren't schematically inclined. This drawing is for use with the Mighty microcontroller, which is what I have in my pack. Your mileage may vary.

If you use this set up, you can get the SPDT relay here:

http://www.pololu.com/product/2480

and from the same site, you can get the servo cable here:

http://www.pololu.com/product/779
Sephiroth liked this
Carpeteria wrote:First off - this is a really amazing system and idea. Well done to all involved!

I was able to toss together a quick visual layout for the wiring, for those who aren't schematically inclined. This drawing is for use with the Mighty microcontroller, which is what I have in my pack. Your mileage may vary.

Great call on the pololu site, I used the 12V relay because I couldn't find a 5V brick rated at more than 1A. Thanks for the post,
makes the wiring even simpler.
Also after some research I have concluded the same relay may be wired in parallel to the 5th LED output from the gbfans cyclotron light board which blinks in sync with the vent sound if i'm reading the documentation right. The 5V to VDD center pin on the input would have to come from somewhere else since the led output might not have enough Amps for the relay coil, the relay brick I'm utilizing lights up an opto coupled led on the brick to activate the relay coil. The smoke would pulse rather than be constant since this signal blinks the LED. I'm waiting for my boards to play with so I can see if this signal can be modified to give a constant voltage, otherwise the intermittent smoke looks ok but not quite as effective as in the video. Perhaps a latching relay tied to a timer delayed shutoff, will try to upload a video showing the intermittent smoke and keep working on a solution for a constant trigger signal
kurisu7885 wrote:I hope we can get one for the GBFans boards ,as that's what I'll be sporting.
I know you can do it with a manual switch, I'm just trying to develop something comparable to the Mighty's automatic sync
with the sound, Thanks for everybody's support and interest in our project
jimfin wrote:
kurisu7885 wrote:I hope we can get one for the GBFans boards ,as that's what I'll be sporting.
I know you can do it with a manual switch, I'm just trying to develop something comparable to the Mighty's automatic sync
with the sound, Thanks for everybody's support and interest in our project
Really hope you find a solution because i'd do it with the new gbfans kit too. Im sure AJ said the autovent feature may be included on this set of soundboards
I have a gbfans sound board ordered. How would this basic drawing be wired using that board?
Carpeteria wrote:First off - this is a really amazing system and idea. Well done to all involved!

Im wondering if it could be triggered during the venting without a manual switch by simply tapping into the existing strobe from the kit?
Maybe I am wrong but that seems like a possibility?
Hoot wrote:Im wondering if it could be triggered during the venting without a manual switch by simply tapping into the existing strobe from the kit?
Maybe I am wrong but that seems like a possibility?
Maybe a trigger from all 4 cyclotron lights being lit at the same time (which only happens during the overload sequence)? Timing will be a little off, but it's an option, I guess... My electronics theory is a little rusty right now, but maybe an AND Gate that only switches on when all inputs are active? And maybe a timer that allows it to trigger at the end at the overload sequence? Again, I'm rusty, but it's making sense in my head right about now... =P
Hoot wrote:Bump for any updates? :)
Doug is working on a vent relay board that is proposed to sandwich between the present packlight board and cyclotron lights. It should allow the regular lights or TVG lights to be used. I saw a pic of the board and it looks really promising. He said he's going to try to write the code this weekend. Should do exactly what we need so hope everything works out. I made up a crude circuit board that does work from the 5th cyclotron led but his board is a lot more polished and he also informed me that those signal wires are also used tell the TVG leds to change color if you have the TVG kit so I don't really want to mess that up

jimfin
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

First of all thanks to the original poster for providing us with this tutorial. I have seen a lot of venting ideas in the past and its always been something I wanted to add but I wasn't ever that excited about using the upside down air can setup which seemed to be the only real way to go until now. This is also, in my opinion, a far more accurate looking vent effect.

Anyways, I just ordered up all of the parts to incorporate this into my pack. I'm running one of the Mighty Microcontrollers so it shouldn't be to difficult to add.

Only tweak I am going to make is to figure out a way to vent from underneath the bumper instead of out of the n filter. In my mind the n filter is meant to take in air instead of venting exhaust out. I'm thinking 4 ports, hidden under the bumper, aimed to direct the smoke out right over each cyclotron light. That way the smoke will glow red with the cyclotron lights and I won't need to worry about adding the strobe which will hopefully allow me to run this setup off either the battery that powers the Mighty or the battery that powers the amp in my pack.

I also work in software so I'm going to see if I can modify the Mighty's code a bit to extent the timing of the manual vent affect. In the videos posted it seem way to short when compared to the light and sound effects that coincide with the venting, so we'll see how that goes.

For anyone new looking to add this feature, the cartomizer is out of stock at the site provided on the main page, so I went to this site to purchase the same one: http://vaporcrave.com/1-eGo-Changeable- ... -p158.html

Also for the mini air pump, I purchased a slightly different one from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-6V-Miniature ... 27ddcb2339
I went this way with the air pump mainly because this one ships from the US and has free shipping so you don't have to wait an unknown amount of time to receive something from China or Hong Kong. Also the inflation time on this unit is about 5 seconds quicker, my thought is that the vent effects aren't really activated for that long, so the more air generated in the shortest amount of time the better. The quicker inflate time does come with a minor downside of the unit being 3 dB louder. All other stats are exactly the same between the two units.

I'll have to add a video of what I end up with after I get it all thrown together.

Thanks again for the great info!
Sephiroth liked this
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Libtechinit wrote:First of all thanks to the original poster for providing us with this tutorial. I have seen a lot of venting ideas in the past and its always been something I wanted to add but I wasn't ever that excited about using the upside down air can setup which seemed to be the only real way to go until now. This is also, in my opinion, a far more accurate looking vent effect.

Anyways, I just ordered up all of the parts to incorporate this into my pack. I'm running one of the Mighty Microcontrollers so it shouldn't be to difficult to add.

Only tweak I am going to make is to figure out a way to vent from underneath the bumper instead of out of the n filter. In my mind the n filter is meant to take in air instead of venting exhaust out. I'm thinking 4 ports, hidden under the bumper, aimed to direct the smoke out right over each cyclotron light. That way the smoke will glow red with the cyclotron lights and I won't need to worry about adding the strobe which will hopefully allow me to run this setup off either the battery that powers the Mighty or the battery that powers the amp in my pack.

I also work in software so I'm going to see if I can modify the Mighty's code a bit to extent the timing of the manual vent affect. In the videos posted it seem way to short when compared to the light and sound effects that coincide with the venting, so we'll see how that goes.

For anyone new looking to add this feature, the cartomizer is out of stock at the site provided on the main page, so I went to this site to purchase the same one: http://vaporcrave.com/1-eGo-Changeable- ... -p158.html

Also for the mini air pump, I purchased a slightly different one from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-6V-Miniature ... 27ddcb2339
I went this way with the air pump mainly because this one ships from the US and has free shipping so you don't have to wait an unknown amount of time to receive something from China or Hong Kong. Also the inflation time on this unit is about 5 seconds quicker, my thought is that the vent effects aren't really activated for that long, so the more air generated in the shortest amount of time the better. The quicker inflate time does come with a minor downside of the unit being 3 dB louder. All other stats are exactly the same between the two units.

I'll have to add a video of what I end up with after I get it all thrown together.

Thanks again for the great info!
Glad to see the interest, those Kanger T2's are available in almost any Vape store as well as the replacement filiment /wicks. We thought of adding a nozzle under the crank knob. The problem, putting an outlet under the bumper, at least on our pack, is clearance with the magnet on the 6X9 speaker. We're looking into maybe extending the cyclotron lights in tubes as well as the bumper, but may wait to do a new pack to do that, also incorporating the new multi-color update for the Mighty.
You're only limited by imagination and what makes you feel good. Hope to see more examples soon
I'm looking forward to seeing this being integrated into more packs and in different and new ways. My father and I designed it to work around the way my pack is set up and make use of the available internal spaces inherent to the shell, but like my dad said, you're only limited by your imagination.
pyhasanon liked this
Sephiroth wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing this being integrated into more packs and in different and new ways. My father and I designed it to work around the way my pack is set up and make use of the available internal spaces inherent to the shell, but like my dad said, you're only limited by your imagination.
Our thinking in the absence of smoke in the original packs during venting, that the N filter may indeed allow fresh filtered air into the cyclotron but in the event of overload/overheat it would serve as a check valve to release the pressure in the opposite direction. It's our idea of what the engineers might have come up with if so inclined. All I know for sure is how much I like the smile on my son's face every time he uses the effect

Here's a pic of Dan Schoening, the very talented IDW Artist for the Ghostbusters on-going comic series, strapping on my proton pack and testing the E-Vent feature. This was the very first time Dan wore a proton pack and it was a huge honor to lend him mine. I got to meet and talk with him at the Alabama Phoenix Festival's Mass Hysteria event that was sponsored by the consummate professionals known as the Alabama Ghostbusters.

Dan was very impressed with seeing the venting effect in action and even mentioned that he may find a way to include it in the comic. ;)
Received the vent relay board today from Spongeface, plugged it into the gbfans pack light board then on to the TVG board that I also got today. Every thing looks good, will post a video later today. For some unknown reason the blinking white led on the regular cyclotron
light cable stopped responding to the vent sequence, the led itself is fine and the led that goes in the wand still blinks but the relay does not turn on with this cable installed, however as I mentioned earlier, all of the led's and relay function correctly with the TVG board and it's corresponding cable installed.
Hoot wrote:What about the stock cyclotron kit?
That's what i meant by the regular light kit, I think something's messed up in my programming on the stock cyclotron lights, they were working great for about a week, then the vent led on the stock cyclotron cable quit. led tests good, and oddly enough is constantly lit if negative side of led is grounded to sound board ground. fully expected TVG board and relay not to work since they use the same output connector on the pack light board, but happily they work perfectly in regular or TVG mode
If the relay works with the TVG kit it should also work on the stock kit, I just can't verify it. I'm sure doug tested the board for either set of lights
Noticed the URL' s listed for cartomizers in original post are showing out of stock from that store. Here is another I found on line,
note they come stock with a 1.8 ohm coil which may not last long at the voltage we're using, highly recommend getting the 2.5 ohm coils in the 2nd URL and replacing the stock coil, don't understand why they don't give you the choice of coil resistance when you order the cartomizer. Both of the "vape" stores here locally carry the T2's and replacement coils
happy venting

jimfin

http://www.ecblendflavors.com/clearomizer-kanger-t2-pc/
http://www.ecblendflavors.com/clearomiz ... kanger-t2/

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]