We've seen the ugly duckling, and many of us are very well versed in the viscous ooze that is Bob.

What I'm really excited to see is what Joe will be able to do to this pack, turning a zero to a hero. Sounds like he's got some good quality parts lined up, bring on the make over!
pyhasanon wrote:
Cory GB Maine wrote:I really don't think this thread is at all to bash the quality of the work (we have plenty of threads for that already) it's about the rebuild. I am really interested in this and don't want to sift threw all the off collar comments about BPS to get to the rebuild posts. Just my 2¢.
I agree and I apologize... Let's carry on... ^_^
As am I, I'm curious what it takes to make blob pack look amazing
Been talking to Joe today and have seen updates which he will prob share later tomorrow.

The pack looks 100% different than it did, and is shaping up very nice.

It's a little late for a before side by side comparison shot, the tear down pics speak for themselves.

DVC- Yes, Joe did his texture technique
Cory GB Maine liked this
I'm about to go start day 2 of the refurb but wanted to give you guys some pics from yesterday.

The BPS bumper is very small compared to a screen accurate bumper so it had to go. Thankfully I had a Nick A Tron Volguus casting in my garage, so it became the new bumper.

I also replaced the BPS HGA, Injector Tubes, and Beam Line and Filler tubes with some of my resin hero castings. Here is everything in primer

All the parts were either tapped into the resin or attached with glue and rivets but I replaced all of that with threaded inserts and bolts

The pack was set up for GB2 and ovwthrillseekr wants a GB1 pack so I turned this Ion Arm cap from this:

Into this:

I was planning to keep the resin casted Legris elbows but one broke when I tried to remove them.

My buddy DarthDono74 reminded me of using threads from an SMC elbow to fix them up so I did just that

Thats a good amount of what I documented yesterday. I hope today to have the entire shell reassembled.
Cory GB Maine, Kingpin liked this
Here you guys go. I will go deeper into detail later but here is a side by side of the before and after. Yes this is the same pack.

More info and side by sides to come.
ovwthrillseekr wrote:Pack looks great Joe! I had no idea it was going to look as good as it does. I'm dying for the GBFans light and sound kit to get here so we can fire this bad boy up! Pick a name yet?
Julio Sanchez. Please. ;)
Ok everyone, how about an "it was, it is" seqment? I have put together some side by sides of the before and after pics of some of the biggest changes. I think these really let you see the difference between "fan" builders and the "professional" builder. I did all of the work you see in 2 days. One day to strip and prep and 1 day to paint and assemble. We are waiting for the GBfans light and sound kit to finish the pack off but otherwise this was a quick 2 day refurb not a 100% every nook and cranny overhaul.

Onto the pics......

Remember the bumper that had no washers on the bolts?Image
They have bolts now.

Went from globbed on epoxy and loose tubes......
To accurate tubes with base plates, mounted with bolts and threaded inserts.

Took out the resin cast legris straight fittings,
and installed real 4mm legris straights

Washers for a bellows.....really
How about a GBfans bellows? Much better!

Dixie bracket
FreekyGeeky.com V-hook set up

Buh bye resin clippard valve
Hello real Clippard R-331

Ditched the black resin crank knob....
for a real grey GB1 crank knob

Horrid hot glue "weld" between booster tube and EDA box
Now a nice clean joint like the GB1 packs

Hot glue weld, PVC HGA with unpainted legris elbow casting
Changed to one of my resin hero HGA's and retro fitted elbow casting with real threads

Globbed on epoxy and hot glue weld between shell and ion arm. Resin resistors, and GB2 ion arm cap
Smooth joint, real resistors including a no disc ph-25, and updated cap to GB1

Another PVC and hot glue resin part switched to...
a set of my resin hero Injector Tubes.

Sorry for the long post full of pics but I felt it was very important to show off the difference in quality. I hope that this thread will make anyone who may be thinking of purchasing a BPS pack think a little harder before they pull the trigger.
YHSCraig, Kingpin, Sutton621 and 3 others liked this
Wow, it's unbelievable to think that it's the same pack that you started with. The Bob bumper looked really rough, I've bought second castings that didn't look that bad. I can't believe he's selling those packs for top dollar.
Vincenzo330 wrote:You forgot those "other" pictures...
Oh.....you mean these? I think they speak for themselves.
Someone a little nervous about being recasted?
Im a failure as I havent commented on this thread yet. This is utterly amazing work Joe. Utterly amazing.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]