HA! Mine's started lol.

Alrighty then...updates! Small ones but they are updates none-the-less. I like showing details and I know it gets boring, so hang in there with me!
Also, if anyone needs any other pics, I will gladly take some and offer any sort of explanation. So far, this is the easy stuff lol.

I started drilling the center hole for the Clippard. Reverse and slow with titanium bits wins!

Here's the step-up that followed

Drilled the hole a little bigger than the Clippard nipple. I also added the notch

Drilled and tapped the screw holes. 1" 8-32 were used

In place and rockin' the show

Installing this elbow sucked. I marred the brass a little. I ended up using the step-up bit to 3/8". I only took the 3/8" to half the hole so there would be some material to thread. The elbow itself was used to make the threads. It was a hairy situation lol. Each turn was "please don't crack! please don't crack!"

Disassembled the crank knob and painted it with primer gray

That's it for now. Tomorrow I plan on epoxying the Spengler V-Hook support plate in place. That's child's play. Until then...
alphabeta001 liked this
Very precise work you're doing there. Looking forward to seeing more!
Grimmy GB liked this
halliwax wrote:Sure does look good! You don't use a flat nut on the inside on the Elbow?
Thanks man! And I will. I have to make a run to HD.
Very well done. Very meticulous, I like it!
Grimmy GB liked this
thebigone2087 wrote:Very well done. Very meticulous, I like it!
Thanks man! I've been reading your "super hero" build lately. THAT is impressive!
Haha thank you, that's very humbling. It isn't finished, still have a few things I need to work out, but thank you. Keep up the great work, bud!
Grimmy GB liked this
Thank you sir!

A few more little updates for the smorgasbord.

Installed the potentiometer for the crank knob. Got this one from RadioCrap. It's the 25 ohm. It's not going to be used for any real functionality, so I just grabbed what worked.

Tried out the crank knob. It spins! I need to wet sand it, repaint and wet sand again. It'll get a clear coat eventually.

Squirrel.

First layer of epoxy. One more thicker and much bigger coat will be applied after 24 hours. This was stolen from Julz's thread.
Also, not sure if you noticed, but I wanted to level out the area that the reinforcement plate sits. So I used the Bondo patch with fiberglass. It's what I had lying around. S'not perfect but it turned out alright. It just needed a bit of Dremel rotary action afterwards.
Naptime, alphabeta001 liked this
Take your elbow when you go to HD. They use an NPT thread. I ended up creating something that will hold it. Let me see if I can find the photo.

Couldn't find a photo of the elbow but this is the same thing I did with the straights.
Grimmy GB liked this
Venkman's Swagger wrote:In the words of Grandma Crood.............. I NEEEEEEEEEED MOOOORRRRRE
I don't know why, but now I have the "tell me more, tell me more" song from Grease stuck in my head lol

Jay,
The problem is that I am showing only about 3/4 of a thread. I would have to Dremel the wall down to add the cap. Whilst this is a fantastic idea and I don't mind doing it, I'm going to wait until I get the tubing in to see what kind of pressure is added to the elbow. It is REALLY sturdy and honestly, it would be overkill to add the cap. BUT (and this is a secret) in the end, I'll probably end up doing it going through with it. I definitely had this planned for the straights though.
Only 3/4 of a single thread? That's a thick shell! You wouldn't even need anything on the end if the threads you tapped are good. Depending if you want that piece changeable, you could always use a dab of epoxy and it won't go anywhere!
Grimmy GB liked this
PssdffJay wrote:Only 3/4 of a single thread? That's a thick shell! You wouldn't even need anything on the end if the threads you tapped are good. Depending if you want that piece changeable, you could always use a dab of epoxy and it won't go anywhere!
Another little secret... I'm waiting on some vintage elbows before I do anything permanent :cool:
And I do have to say this, Chris built this thing in complete mind that certain areas need X amount of resin to fiberglass mixture for structural support. I have seriously never seen anything built this mindful in all the time of building and handling props for cosplay. It makes me want to rip all of my props apart and redux them LOL! It's actually a huge honor to own this shell.
Grimmy GB wrote:Installed the potentiometer for the crank knob. Got this one from RadioCrap. It's the 25 ohm. It's not going to be used for any real functionality, so I just grabbed what worked.
Crank Knobs are designed to quickly spin and tune frequencies. To simulate this, remove the stop from the potentiometer so it rotates completely. I guarantee you will enjoy this feature. 8)
bishopdonmiguel wrote:
Grimmy GB wrote:Installed the potentiometer for the crank knob. Got this one from RadioCrap. It's the 25 ohm. It's not going to be used for any real functionality, so I just grabbed what worked.
Crank Knobs are designed to quickly spin and tune frequencies. To simulate this, remove the stop from the potentiometer so it rotates completely. I guarantee you will enjoy this feature. 8)
Bish...I hope you realize that you are asking me to take something apart. This usually amounts to total destruction! LOL jking... thanks for the advice. I will actually do that right now.
Grimmy GB wrote:Bish...I hope you realize that you are asking me to take something apart. This usually amounts to total destruction! LOL jking... thanks for the advice. I will actually do that right now.
Taking stuff apart and breaking it is my go-to approach with learning! You can usually pry off the back of the potentiometer and that will eliminate the stop. Like this...

alphabeta001 liked this
Grimmy GB wrote:Annnnnnd done! That was way easier than I thought :) Thanks Bish
The effect of spinning that knob continuously as it was designed to do is quite satisfying, yes? Or perhaps my simple mind is just amused by silly stuff like this.
alphabeta001 liked this
S'more tiny details to share.
Finally mounted the MOBO to the pack frame. Used 2" 1/4-20 SS bolts with SS wing nuts and washers. Also used hockey pucks as I am definitely not confident enough in the wood working skills. And I'm too close to Canada NOT to use them :D

Left side

Right side

Found this in a box not too long ago, and honestly, I needed it after today's work drama. It made me smile :)

This weekend should wield more updates and results. Stay tuned!
alphabeta001 liked this

I've ordered one of these for a friend to use off […]

GB News is calling the Pink Camo Tint the last m[…]

Sugarland Express.Very early Spielberg movie,it's […]

Also probably different release dates. USA[…]