So I've been toiling away on this sucker for a few months now. At first I was trying to build a budget pack inspired by Gareee using electrical boxes & hardware. I was impressed by how they looked & loved the idea of having a proton pack that wouldn't cripple my family financially. Image
I was pretty stoked about how it was coming together until I noticed that all the boxes I had bought were too shallow & that if I built up the cyclotron to the right dimensions the pack would look all wrong. Image
I could've let it go & soldiered on, but my OCD tendencies roared to life & was about to scrap the whole idea & just focus on the uniform instead.
Then I stumbled across Lordgilpin's foam core thread. FOAM CORE! "Perfect!" I thought to myself. Another budget solution to building a close enough to screen accurate pack. I could do that! How hard could it be?
More the fool, I.
I just want to say how impressed I am by all of you Ghostheads who have taken on the Herculean task of scratch building one of these pigs. Be it out of MDF, electrical boxes, foam core, EVA foam or paper mâché - you're all insane artists & crafts people & I bow down to you all.
So I went out & bought a crap ton of said foam core, a few hobby knives, glue & a cutting board and got to work. This thing may well be the death of me.
This all happened in August before a road trip to Edmonton where I was doing a show. While in Edmonton I got to work on the positron collider using sintra provided to me by the props department at The Citadel Theatre! Image
ImageImage
I also built the booster frame out of foam core. ImageImageImageImage
When I got back a couple of weeks ago, I started putting all the pieces together. Image
I found I wasn't happy with the MDF top of the spacer. So I replaced it with foam core! Image
Then I wasn't happy with the shitty cake pan I got from the dollar store. So guess what? More FOAM CORE!!! ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Image then I started working on the bumper based on a template I found on the GBfans site. ImageImageImage
Image here's my Instagram glam shot from a few days ago.
Then I started working on the wand again. ImageImage lots of putty & sanding!
Woah! This is out of no where! In knew you were working on it but I didn't know you were that far along. Are you shooting for Halloween?

Btw, it's like déjà vu looking at this with why I'm trying to do Ina month with the mini pack. Great job!
Naptime liked this
Thanks, Jay! I am indeed aiming for Halloween. This is the killer part. So much is done, yet there's so much left to do!! I've been working like a madman the last couple of weeks. My wife thinks I'm nuts but she's been totally supportive of this new obsession of mine! I'm so impressed by your mini pack build. Great stuff by you & Loki!
In the meantime I've been working on my 4 year old's pack & uni for Halloween. I repurposed the electrical boxes to build him a not so accurate mini pack. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I'm on set right now with oodles of time on my hands (is it wrong to want to be at home working on my pack, instead?) so I thought I'd post some pics of other stuff I picked up in Edmonton for my pack. Image I wanted some lights for my pack, so I picked up a soldering iron, simple LED light kits & other tools. My condo looked like I was building a bomb! Now that I'm back, I dunno if I have time to hook u the lights to my pack. Argh.
Thanks, Alan! There's a crazy part of me that NEEDS it to light up, though. Hence the descent into madness aspect of this build ;)
Thanks, VS! It's encouragement like this that keeps me going!
You're welcome buddy. Glad I can play some part in your motivation. You're doing an awesome job and I can't wait to see your progress
Naptime liked this
Excellent build man! I am kinda partial to foam core builds because my current pack Is made out of foam core. I have used it for about a year now and I am surprised by its durability considering it is made of foam. I can not wait to see this when its all done! If you want to check out my build here is a link http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =2&t=34324
Naptime liked this
Mr_Stay_Puft, I just read your build thread. Awesome job. Makes me wish I had seen it earlier - still, there's a lot of great ideas in your thread I'm going to try and use for my build. Thanks for sharing!
You're too kind! Truth is, guys like you inspire ME to do a better job! It's a great thing to have the bar set so high on these prop builds! Thanks for the encouragement. It means a lot!
Grimmy GB liked this
Thanks, Phillip! He's had it on every day since it was ready. I've been thoroughly impressed with your paper mache proton pack build! Kudos to your ingenuity and creativity!
You are very welcome! I am in the process of building two more foam core packs for my brother and my mom. I learned a lot from my first build and these should be so much better. I applied a laminating epoxy to the exterior of the shell to protect the foam and strengthen the foam a bit. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I would be glad to help.
Naptime liked this
Mr_Stay_Puft wrote:You are very welcome! I am in the process of building two more foam core packs for my brother and my mom. I learned a lot from my first build and these should be so much better. I applied a laminating epoxy to the exterior of the shell to protect the foam and strengthen the foam a bit. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I would be glad to help.
I know what you mean about learning a lot from your first build! With the stuff I know now, I think I could crank out another pack in half the time. Quick question: what kind of laminating epoxy did you use and how did you apply it? I'm assuming you epoxied it before you primed and painted your pack? Thanks again!

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]