By CPU64
About the removable cyclotron, if the filter is only attached to the pan, you could have a key hole pin lock system, little turn unlocks the pan. You would only need to remove the side screws on the bumper..
By OCP_Model-001
Guys, been pretty flat out with this thing this week, so here are a few snaps of where it's at. I have managed to get most of the main shell finished, it's now one piece. I used fasteners to secure the top & bottom halves together, then spent a few hours filling in the gaps and little seams here and there...

The mother board was a decent challenge, and i spent a good while marking out, cutting, making the brackets and fitting all together. I have used my favorite clinch bolts, 2 per bracket, to secure them to the m.board, and then sanded the topside so they are seamless with the back of the motherboard, just prefer the look over rivets and they are very strong. Also i was not happy with tapping the brackets for the shell bolts, so used steel clinch nuts pressed in to give me some nice strong threads. I will change the shell screws to high tensile button head allen bolts for the finished article.

Few more pics of some details..

Overall, im very happy with how it's turned out. Weight is around 7kg with all the parts on, plus motherboard, that's around 15lbs in old money ;)
I'm planning to purchase some of the extra parts needed to finish things off soon, so plenty of resin bits i think, to keep the cost down. Will add a light kit too at some stage, not going with sounds or anything else atm.

I have made a start on the proton gun, but nothing worth posting up yet.
Hope you enjoy the pics, comments good/bad, all welcome ;)

*edit* just realised i didnt put the eda disks on, doh ;)
MT
Last edited by OCP_Model-001 on October 5th, 2017, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
twmedford23, Kingpin, Smeghead and 1 others liked this
By Azurial
SUPER ballsy movie to go Aluminium with your shell and its going to murder your back almost as bad as being stepped on by a sky scraper, but it is BEAUTIFUL. just stay in doors during lightning storms cuz its gonna be like walking around with a lightning rod strapped to you.

Otherwise, I cant really see too many issues coming out of it, though I suppose if you wanted to go "lore" accurate you could have used a more dense material, like... well lead... that way you really could stick a real miniaturized cyclotron in there.
By gold333
Awesome.... Huge lump of cold steel when you touch it, exactly what it's supposed to be.
By OCP_Model-001
Azurial wrote:SUPER ballsy movie to go Aluminium with your shell and its going to murder your back almost as bad as being stepped on by a sky scraper, but it is BEAUTIFUL. just stay in doors during lightning storms cuz its gonna be like walking around with a lightning rod strapped to you.

Otherwise, I cant really see too many issues coming out of it, though I suppose if you wanted to go "lore" accurate you could have used a more dense material, like... well lead... that way you really could stick a real miniaturized cyclotron in there.

lol it's not really that heavy, feels light when i pick it up honestly, i'm not sure the weight is 100% accurate. Besides, i wont be wearing this anywhere, done all that with my old pack, this is just to hang on my wall, for me to sit back and say, hey i built that from scratch ;) The heaviest part was the gear box and gun mount, which i built first out of 3mm sheet, if i had to change anything, i would go back and redo those parts. The main reason i went with alu was that i have a good supply of it, and this shell has only cost me a few pounds, nothing to what a good fibre glass shell runs these days.
I have been thinking about using this as the master for doing myself a fibre shell, tempted to try it!

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated guys ;)

MT
twmedford23 liked this
By pyhasanon
Yeah, he mentioned 15 lbs... that's not heavy... my pack is 37.2 lbs, and I hardly take it off during an event, which averages about 7 hours...
By gold333
I remember in canon the packs were supposed to be 55lbs.

Didn't Ramis say that during shooting GB1 the packs th batteries weighed 40lbs, and 20 pounds less without batteries.

PS: OCP, just out of interest how much would you charge to comission a metal pack for someone else?
By gold333
OCP_Model-001 wrote:Gold, i don't think i could build another one honestly, it's taken me 10 months to get this far, just too much work in it ;)

No problem... Can't wait to see how this turms out.
By OCP_Model-001
Ejgunth87 wrote:Would you say its as rigid as a fiberglass shell?
E, hard to say if it would be as rigid, but i can stand on it and it doesn't flex at all lol mainly due to the fact i left some of the internal walls intact, just to give a bit more strength overall, the part where upper and lower halves meet is a pretty narrow cross section, i used some welds and bolts here to make sure they don't twist much hopefully, but i don't see an issue. 8)

CPU, ever been tempted to make another one? :wink:

Also i'm thinking of a hammered finish or is that a bit silly given its a metal shell?
By gold333
When I finally get around to making mine, I believe in not replicating the lazyness or lack of attention to detail on the part of the original movie prop builders. Like for example the wooden hue handle tells. In some scenes in the original movie the black paint has worn off and you can see the wood colored hue underneath.

Some packs I saw made by builders replicate that. Or the wavy texture of the fibreglass, with dimples and uneven surface, I believe those, like the handles were never meant to be seen. The thing is "supposed" to be a bulky black heavy metal backpack. Exactly like you have there. So I'd just paint it black.
By OCP_Model-001
Gold, yes was sort of thinking that myself. I have not tried to make the pack an exact copy of the hero shells, details like the slanted fins etc bug me, but instead just stayed faithful to the original design elements, and dimensions.

Take it your planning your own metal pack?
By CPU64
I would like t make another one since mine was a tig learning project. I'm quite better at it now than I was when I made my shell.
By gold333
OCP_Model-001 wrote:Gold, yes was sort of thinking that myself. I have not tried to make the pack an exact copy of the hero shells, details like the slanted fins etc bug me, but instead just stayed faithful to the original design elements, and dimensions.

Take it your planning your own metal pack?
Yeah I am. I'm gonna do it different to a lot of packs I have seen though. Like I said I want to capture the "spirit" of what a proton pack is supposed to be, a big, heavy metal back pack, not a prop. Also when I make it, I won't weather it much. I would like it to look brand new, like in the Sedgewick scene, when Spengler has just made them and they've never even used them yet.

If I get bored with it, I'll weather it in years to come.
By OCP_Model-001
CPU, yeah go for it, your original was inspiring!

Thinking about the power coating option again, need to check what temps the oven gets to, think it's around 120 degrees c for 20 mins. We have a lovely fine textured black finish that would look supreme on this thing, then perhaps a little dust and a few dings here and there 8)
By OCP_Model-001
Keeping things rolling, here are a few snaps of the proton gun, in the work shop on friday. It's a start anyway, will see what i can get time to work on this week. Got the handle tubes cut, and gun ears more or less finished, a few holes to drill. Used a honing stick in the drill press, to even out the curve, so it sits a little better against the front tube.

The gun body turned out ok, im not 100% happy with it. It's a tiny bit crooked, but then so were the originals. May end up doing another one, will see.

Thanks for looking :)
Last edited by OCP_Model-001 on October 6th, 2017, 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackdoud, legend642 liked this

Also probably different release dates. USA[…]

I like the camo tint. This is the one tint I would[…]

Ghostbusters Day 2024

Even if Frozen Empire somehow made a billion dolla[…]

New details https://i.imgur.com/0cWzlPm.jpeg […]