I know there was a brief thread but it's been a while and I'd really like to get the details pinned down. Lets see if we can come up with a good universal mechanical solution. I'm working on something right now and I'll post it soon. Anything anyone can post here would be great.
Uh well there are a few things that have been worked out in the past and current for that matter.
FreekyGeeky has a pop mechanism I do believe that is mechanical.
The original pop mech was designed as a simple rod pop and spring as detected by a few members who "accessed" the information necessary. I can't give them credit because I am unsure who the are right off the top of my head.

EDIT: mburkit credit for lead on the discovery of it:
http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 6#p4803066
That's good stuff, however I'm still seeing a lot of details missing. Part of my goal here is to create some diagrams that we can all reference. I'm using Throwing Chicken's wand kit as a base for the diagram.

One of my first questions is, how much of the acrylic tip extends past the barrel of the handle?
Ok, so here's a rough mechanical outline. I've got it figured out in my head how this will all go together. I just need to outline the details. I'm going to talk to my shop and see what it might take to machine some of these parts. This will assemble in sections and screw together and I've got a pretty good hold on how this will all work.
been offering a few for awhile, spring loaded, not mechanical based off the movies design
this was the first design,

and installed

and this is our new updated version which will release on our site next, we did fine tune it more, but this version ships with our run we are finishing up, and then will take care of anyone that bought the upgrade plan, and then restock the site,
but thanks to feed back we got from the movie style design we were able to change a few things and fix all issues people were having with the movie design, number one issue being lack of space, and the catch interfering with some electronics.
Last edited by Kingpin on February 21st, 2015, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added Youtube code
I'm with you JC.

I'm in the beginning stages of planning my thrower build with a TC kit and I feel this is going to be the biggest challenge for me.

Even though there are a lot of threads out there talking about wand tip extensions there is very few how-to's.

Me being a visual learner I need all the reference photos/videos I can find that can help. Sometimes instructions get too wordy for me things get lost translation.

It looks like FG has really updated the pop mech lately and have made it simpler to work with.

The sliding spring mech looks like it might be the easiest to work with.
JC Arkham liked this
I brain stormed and tried several idea but with no real success. I almost feel that builders have had better luck with aluminum bodies over resin. As much as I love my inexpensive TC kit it does have some flaws that make it difficult to mod something that works.

Freaky Geeky is currently working on their own wand tip extension for the TC kit but who knows when it will be available. For now I'm keeping the tip extended until someone can come up with a simple idea that can be implemented into a TC kit.
v0cal assass1n wrote: May 27th, 2018, 7:46 am So I know it's been a few years, but looks like FreekyGeeky had managed to make the barrel extend via grip twist??

https://youtu.be/fCXajA5l1Ac
I've bought one of Freeky's pop mechanisms within the last half year, as far as I'm aware he only offers mechanisms that are activated by the push lever (which is how they were done on the screen-used prop), not a mechanism based on twisting the barrel.
Kingpin wrote:
v0cal assass1n wrote: May 27th, 2018, 7:46 am So I know it's been a few years, but looks like FreekyGeeky had managed to make the barrel extend via grip twist??

https://youtu.be/fCXajA5l1Ac
I've bought one of Freeky's pop mechanisms within the last half year, as far as I'm aware he only offers mechanisms that are activated by the push lever (which is how they were done on the screen-used prop), not a mechanism based on twisting the barrel.
Maybe it was just a one-time thing, then.

His thumb didn't look like it was triggering any lever in that video, but he's only come out with lever videos in the last few years.

Oh, well. Just thought someone would have figured it out already.
umoribawar wrote:you are right, that was just a pop mech viva twist, all contained in the front handle, it was the first model, back in 2010, only ended up doing a handfull of them.
I was right for once!

Was it a difficult mechanism to build, which is why you no longer do it?
i would not say difficult, just more time consuming to do, and since the movies used the lever and not the front handle twist i decided it was not longer needed as a reg option,
it was tricky to design a little, but mainly cuz the trigger tip and clear tube could not turn when it poped, to keep it movie accurate on the pop, so that ruled out a simple twist slot method, the next tricky part was to allow it to lock back into place with just pushing the tube in.
another downside of this design was it took up too much room in the handle, but with the set up i have no, i think the new set up could be moded easily enough to allow it to use a twist pop instead of a lever lock. which if there are people wanting a handle twist pop instead, id be willing to put in some R&D time to make a add onto to allow my current pop set up to pop by handle.
umoribawar wrote:i would not say difficult, just more time consuming to do, and since the movies used the lever and not the front handle twist i decided it was not longer needed as a reg option,
it was tricky to design a little, but mainly cuz the trigger tip and clear tube could not turn when it poped, to keep it movie accurate on the pop, so that ruled out a simple twist slot method, the next tricky part was to allow it to lock back into place with just pushing the tube in.
another downside of this design was it took up too much room in the handle, but with the set up i have no, i think the new set up could be moded easily enough to allow it to use a twist pop instead of a lever lock. which if there are people wanting a handle twist pop instead, id be willing to put in some R&D time to make a add onto to allow my current pop set up to pop by handle.
I've been looking into someone who can build a wand with extension via barrel twist.

Is it possible to have a thrower created with that option that I may use for a pack i have being made? I've got Karnivorous Creations building my entire proton pack at the moment.
I have a few very late questions:
- Did you plan a Spring action or a pivot action with the barrel Lever?
-Did you thing about the space inside the Gun, with wires, Light and Light Board?
-Do you plan to buy it or to build it?
-I made a kind of picture Tuto, whould you like to see it?

I've heard about Freekygeeky Stuff, I have a friend who bought this, very nice by the way!!! :-D
I remember Cyland Prop's and C.Fago Tuto!!! :-D
Etigo wrote:I have a few very late questions:
- Did you plan a Spring action or a pivot action with the barrel Lever?
-Did you thing about the space inside the Gun, with wires, Light and Light Board?
-Do you plan to buy it or to build it?
-I made a kind of picture Tuto, whould you like to see it?

I've heard about Freekygeeky Stuff, I have a friend who bought this, very nice by the way!!! :-D
I remember Cyland Prop's and C.Fago Tuto!!! :-D
Looking to buy with everything including barrel twist mechanism
umoribawar wrote:i would not say difficult, just more time consuming to do, and since the movies used the lever and not the front handle twist i decided it was not longer needed as a reg option,
It'd be great if you could bring this back again. I'm really looking to get one with this mechanism.
v0cal assass1n wrote: May 31st, 2018, 2:01 amIt'd be great if you could bring this back again. I'm really looking to get one with this mechanism.
Well... Umori has already said it's a far more time consuming and restrictive design, and whilst I don't know how popular it was eight years ago... I'd wager the fact he only made "a handful" might be indicative of how popular it was.
nastynoah liked this

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]