I'll post the latest version of my arduino code when I can get to my PC. The pipe is from Lowes - I bought the longest piece of plastic drain tailpipe I could get- 12" or so. There is more selection of the 1.5" stuff there, but you can find the smaller diameters as well.

I still need to finish my Arduino code to handle the wand bar graph. I've been waiting until I got the LEDs before playing around with it. I need to place an order for switches and move on to other things.
slicerd1 wrote:Hey Propcicle your packs are looking great. I like that you are using arduino I just bought a bunch myself and will be working on programming soon.

I did have a question about where you found the 1.25" plastic pipe. It looks pretty thin walled which is what I want all the stuff I have is thick and heavy.
Worked a bit on the throwers getting the rear handles mounted this morning. Turned out pretty well after I drilled, countersunk and tapped the holes. Also mounted the bottom plate in on gun after drilling and tapping into the ABS supports I glued in the sides.

Received a couple ion rods from Francesky this week and will start working in the main packs again this week.
Been a little while since my last update, so let's see where I'm at.
Started putting a primer coat on a few of the parts. This gave me a good idea where I still had cracks that needed filling.

And what looks like a couple of throwers, getting slightly closer to completion:

Foreground is the full scratch wand, rear is the one I'm using Throwing Chicken's grips on. I finally figured out how to attach the front tube to the box after grinding down some conduit to use as the spacer coupling. I've got a metal broom handle in the TC fore grip and will need to do a similar spacer for that one.

Spent a bit of time putting together a shopping list and getting things ordered last week:

GBfans store:
Orange hat lights - received
White hat light - on order
Chemical gloves - received
Arcolights - received

Amazon:
12V sound amplifier circuit - received
Mini toggle switches - received
Mini push buttons - TBD
Split loom tubing - TBD
12V battery packs - TBD
LED segment bars - TBD
RGB LEDs - TBD

eBay:
Ribbon cable clamp: TBD
Hoses: TBD

Also planning to do some testing on dying the leg hose soon.
By propcicle
Been a while since my last post, but work has been slowly proceeding. First pack as it currently stands:

I've about worn out my PayPal account lately buying all sorts of odds and ends. Finally have two sets of resistors, all of the electronic components needed for two pack light and sound. My office looks like a 1984 Radio Shack exploded nearby. Spent some time recently reworking my N filter. The original I built some time ago didn't use the right diameter pipe, so I got some acrylic tube and redid that.
A little shorter and squatty.
Had to resand my opening on the cyclotron to fit it in:

I've also been collecting a few uniform items. I tried dying my leg hose, but diluted the dye too much the first time. I still think I need a more yellow color, so I'm trying to track down some iodine. Received a new flight suit for my son, hopefully he doesn't grow out of it in the next two months. Also got a MT500 radio off eBay for about $20 shipped. I should get a few more updates in over the next few weeks. My goal is to have two packs ready by Halloween and I should be pretty close unless the electronics slow me down.
By propcicle
Just to make things interesting, I'm going to start giving something back to the community here. I couldn't have got my project to where it is without the help of a lot of talented people here. So - hears the deal: I post what I've got to give away and the first person to reply that they could really use the pieces or parts on a current project, gets it. I'll PM you for a shipping address and send it your way, completely free (fine print: only open to folks in the U.S. Sorry overseas folks). I've got a few extra pieces here so I should be able to get a few giveaways in the next couple weeks.

First up, this nice resin Clippard copy for your proton thrower by Throwing Chicken. Very clean piece, just needs painted and a sticker. Any takers?

By propcicle
Started working on the last major component of the pack a few days ago: the gun box. Figured I could layer some plywood and glue it all together. So after one night I ended up with this:

There was a huge need for wood filler to even everything out, so that got smothered out and sat to dry for a couple days. Then after a bit of sanding and some 1/2" wood strips glued on, I ended up with this:

Still need to sand up the one on the left and glue the strips on. I still need to get some tubing for the HGA and then it's pretty close to paint time.
By propcicle
Current Code test for the bar graph lights:

And the code I've put together so far:
This Post Contains Spoilers
Still need to include the static and blinking lights in the code and this one will be wrapped up.
By propcicle
I've got one wand far enough along to drop a coat of paint on it and a few other parts. I used the Rustoleum Canyon Black Satin 2X. I think it's a bit shiny for what I was hoping for, but a light brushing with some steel wool might clean it up.

The first gunbox iscl and up but I found out I've got a slight sizing issue.

I've got about a quarter inch gap between the crank box and gun mount. I'm not sure where the issue lies other than the crank box is too narrow. I'm thinking about cutting 1/8" of the side plating and adding a 1/8" spacer between the crank and gun boxes. Have to make sure I don't run into the same problem on the next pack.
By gamera1968
If that Clippard Valve and knobs are still available, I could use them for my budget / cardboard pack.:cool:
Thanks.

Love the video, too. Very cool. :)
By propcicle
Minor updates tonight: got the gun box spacer glued and filled and the spacer under the HGA attached. Just need to attach a couple pieces of plating to the cyclotron and attach that to the rest and do some crack filling and this baby is ready to paint.

Also got ahold of some fine steel wool and buffed the paint a little bit. I like the look of this much better. Left the grips a bit glossy but the rest got a rub down. After that, I had to screw the Clippard on and put a few more bits. This is starting to look good now.

If I'm lucky with the weather this weekend, I'll try to paint the pack.
twmedford23, gamera1968 liked this
By Hammer
Thrower is looking good! Looking forward to seeing some paint on those packs!
By gamera1968
Nice update, Propcicle!

Looking really good.:cool:
By propcicle
Last couple days have been slow on the pack. I did get a coat of primer on the pack and as expected, I have a few spots to fill where the wood grain shows through.

As a side distraction, I printed off one of Jarius' gizmo templates and glued it to a piece of thin plastic. Then a spent an afternoon poking holes for some copper wire I had sitting around. These will make up the pins of the main chips on the board.

Tonight I rounded up my electronics box from college and pulled out resistors and transistors. Instead of poking holes for these, I used a glue gun to attach. On the resistor bank with a white wire lead, I painted them with white out before glueing down. Next I need to round up the clear tubes and some capacitors for the upper section.

Also bought some fabric paint and got the elbow pads painted. They look pretty good but I still need to get some black elastic to cover the hole on the front side. Hope to do some texture work on the pack later this week.
twmedford23 liked this
By propcicle
Early morning update for late night work: forgot I had stopped by Joanns Fabric and found some belt fob accessories. Printed out Jarius' template for these too and cut them out of vinyl. I may need to take a sharpie to the edges of these or I may even look for some leather to redo them. I'm going to need a gizmo holster and one for the walker talkie, so I've got some leather work coming up soon. I think I can still wrap up by Halloween, but I should have started this mid year last year to get everything done I want completed.

Last 2 fobs on the right are GBfans fobs, the others I did last night.
By gamera1968
Where'd you find your elbow (knee) pads? They look great but look a little dark. (maybe its the lighting)
Also, nice key fobs. :cool:
By propcicle
gamera1968 wrote:Where'd you find your elbow (knee) pads? They look great but look a little dark. (maybe its the lighting)
Also, nice key fobs. :cool:
I've had these sitting around for so long, I don't remember where they came from! Probably bought on Amazon.

Lots of pictures today. First, layer another coat of primer on the whole pack.

Then using Chris' excellent tutorial http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 42&t=27710 I did the texture work. I'm hoping this hides a lot of the imperfections in the wood. So far, I'm digging it. Still need to put a couple more coats of lacquer on it then time for the black paint.

Out for a couple days then I need to get in gear. Still need to build a bumper and finish wand and then do it all over again for second pack.
twmedford23 liked this
By gamera1968
Thanks for the reply, Propcicle. :)
Makes sense that you'd forget. I think I saw a similar pair at Sears.com.
IIRC, they're Judo knee pads (according to their site)

Also, I see you're doing the wall texture method. :cool:
What will you be using for the black? Flat or Satin?

I'm going for a more subtle look, myself. (Rust-oleum Multicolored Textured Spray Paint - Aged Iron)
I'm not sure if I will use flat or satin black, myself.

Will post pics in my build thread when I get to that point, hopefully in a week or so as I still have to install lights yet.
By propcicle
Past week has been busy, but progress is being made. Got a coat of the Rustoleum 2X Canyon Black on the pack. Was a bit too shiny for my liking, so I did a light rub down with some fine steel wool. Didn't run too much on the textured areas sine the Omni pack looks pretty glossy too.

Then I couldn't resist putting a couple stickers on and things are starting to pop now.

Last night, I epoxied on the HGA and temp'd up a couple tubes and glued the red lenses in. Should be able to start installing the booster tube and frame tonight, but I need to cover the pack to paint the weld lines on the booster tube. I should have planned this better but getting stickers on was like opening presents at Christmas, I just couldn't wait!

More later...
twmedford23 liked this
By propcicle
This past week was where things really started coming together. It's funny how adding a few key pieces really makes it look like an unlicensed nuclear accelerator.

Next up was cutting up the mobo to fit the pack. While putting on L brackets I figured out that the gun mount block being solid was going to cause some problems. I decided to use a spade bit to drill out a space for the bracket and then things fit better. Now I need to cut the mounting blocks and paint up the mobo and mount it up. Getting closer...

Ecto-1 fan, twmedford23 liked this
Looking good there! :cool:

I'll post a pic of my budget pack soon.

Still haven't found a reasonably-priced ribbon cable yet.
I saw a few on ebay but I don't need several meters, LOL.
By propcicle
So a few temporary bolts, some wood blocks cut and things mounted up, my son got to model this:

I couldn't resist taking a selfie stick shot as well:

Still have a few details left to finish up but a coat of black paint will be taking place this weekend. I also need to drill out the rivets as a couple of my brackets were loose. I don't trust them enough to leave them. Instead of aluminum rivets I'm going to use stainless for a little more strength.

Still need to dye uniforms and work on gizmos.
twmedford23 liked this
By Hammer
Right on! btw...your code is great! I'm in the process of moving everything off the breadboards now.
By propcicle
I spend a bit of time drilling holes this weekend.

No it's not a sink drain, but the holes for the speaker just below the cyclotron. After drilling, I got the mobo painted. Still haven't tracked down the larger flange rivets, but still looking.

I also spilled some mustard on my ion rod...

sprayed a little paint...

and then licked the mustard off.

Pretty easy weathering technique. I also got the crank knob mounted, drilled the mouse hole for the wand tubing and now I'm prepping to build the bumper this week. Then it's time to stuff the electronics in and power this sucker up.
twmedford23 liked this
By graboskyc
Just curious... Why are you wiring direct to the Arduino pins (using 14 pins for 14 lights) rather than a shift register or constant current LED driver IC (3 pins for infinite lights)? Changing that will give you a lot more pins for extra lights, sounds, shields, buttons, etc.
By propcicle
graboskyc wrote:Just curious... Why are you wiring direct to the Arduino pins (using 14 pins for 14 lights) rather than a shift register or constant current LED driver IC (3 pins for infinite lights)? Changing that will give you a lot more pins for extra lights, sounds, shields, buttons, etc.
I went that way so I had some flexibility on the light sequencing. Using shift registers are good for the basic sequence but you can't cycle them bottom to top and top to bottom (at least that I could tell, not spending a ton of time on it). With the Arduino mega board I have plenty of outputs for each light and switch. If I needed more outputs, I might have gotten more creative but it wasn't necessary.
By graboskyc
If you have enough outputs, that's cool. However if it ever becomes a limitation, you can use these ICs to convert serial input to parallel output; you just shift in 14 bits as on/off which corresponds to whether you want each of your 14 lights on/off and it will do any sequence you want.
By propcicle
So I'm at T minus 10 days with the following things left to go:

- decal and sticker the wand
- install switches and lights in wand and glue up trigger box
- install green and red tubing and circuit boards inside wand
- install vhook when arrives
- finish bumper and shock mount, needs sanded and maybe one more coat of bondo
- attach bumper and glue up hoses on pack
- install lights, speaker, battery and circuits in pack
- install master power switch
- re-rivet brackets
- final coat of paint on mobo
- place final stickers and foam on pack
- dye flight suits and sew patches
- cut and dye new leather belt fobs
- finish belt gizmo

Wow, putting on a list looks intimidating but t I think I can wrap everything up soon. I did put final touches on Arduino code for the remaining wand lights and fixed a couple sound issues. I'll post a video and code once I get everything installed in the pack. I'm in the home stretch now. Too bad I'll only have one pack done but I've got lots of lessons learned for the next couple.
By propcicle
Before I forget, here is the latest revision of my Arduino code, with the wand lights included:
This Post Contains Spoilers
Rowan J. Zweig liked this

Preview for #2 on DH's page. https://www.darkhors[…]

The_Y33TER , since the majority of the maker sc[…]

PKE Meter build project!

DO you have this files on sale?

There's some fun dialogue TV-edits, a replacement[…]