By avlisdivad
jason407 wrote:I started a build last night per request from my sister-in-law.
What are you using for the heat sink rings?
The gun has a lot of details that look challenging...I may have to skimp a little on the accuracy. ;)
The grey parts in my photo are all homemade (primed) sintra. I built the Ammo/tackle box, Rings, and Project boxes from scratch.

I've searched everywhere for those actual parts and had no luck. I'm creating a 3D model of the gun base now. Hoping to have some friends 3D Print it.

By jason407
It looks like the packs might be slightly different for each of the girls.
This latest pic shows the gadget shoulder belts and some kind of elbow mounted gadget...but if you look at the lower part of McKinnons pack, it looks black instead of silver. (Like in all the other available photos) Also, there seems to be a red glow from the cage?
By avlisdivad
So here are my findings on the round mesh in the middle.... Sorry, don't know part names yet!
It has got to be a custom fabrication.

I've ordered and returned, 12" fan covers, colanders, Pasta Strainers, Picnic Mesh Dome covers..... Anything I can think of to get a 12" diameter by 5" tall screen.

After really studying the few photos we have, it looks to be a welded metal frame with the mesh wrapped around. I think it is two pieces too.

Im currently using aforementioned Picnic Mesh Dome cover, as its the right shape, but wrong density of mesh. The bumpers around the mesh are all standard 1/2" copper pipe fittings, but they add up in cost to use the exact ones. Since they are painted silver anyway, Im using scraps to build them and will paint and weather in the end....

By Kingpin
monolith21 wrote:Image

Returning to the Motherboard... I was in a supermarket yesterday which had recently gone through a massive refurbishment, and one of the new additions to I were a load of cable trays, like this:

I wonder if the motherboards on the 2016 Packs might be made out of cable trays.

Of course the other point to consider is that they might be custom made for the production.
By Jimm
With the number of slots on it, I have to think that mobo was found and not made from scratch. I poked around and found these shelves that can be attached to ALICE frames.

A little more searching led me to "packboards" like the one pictured below.

This one is made of plastic, and I think it might be used by the Canadian army (but that could be off). I have yet to find any aluminum or other metal ones, or any with an attached shelf on the bottom. But maybe I'm heading in the right direction here. Anybody else having any luck?
By KoCo
I doubt the perforated "mobo" is typically the base to some sort of backpack.
Usually MOLLE frames or frames similar have some sort of contour to fit to your back.

I've been thinking largely about this since last night.

Here are two really crappy pictures of the bottom of the pack I took at SDCC:

In the pictures by monolith21, you can see that the odd angles at the top of the motherboard have almost no perforation.

You can also see that the design changes greatly toward the bottom of the pack. Most of the vertically-stacked punched holes become horizontal slits.

You can also see that the last slits nearest the rounded corners do NOT have circular holes beside them as the slits beneath them do, alluding to the fact that there was supposed to be a rounded corner there.

So either these are completely custom, and have a lot of unnecessary design work put into them to make our lives more difficult, or they are a completely stock piece, where the bend at the bottom and the cuts on the top and at the base are completely unmodified.
By jason407
1) I noticed my last image link is broken. (showing 2 parts of cage)

2) I will agree that the motherboard are most likely an existing item. This is the closest I was able to find looking into tactical backpack frames.
By christphern
Hiking backpacks tend to have a similar dip in the top as what we're seeing on them motherboard. I've been kind of kicking around the idea of it being the frame from a large leaf blower, or something similar, given the shape. Leaf blowers have a similar curved under shelf, and the straps are often fairly similar to the ones we're seeing on the pack. If it is a customs piece, however, the slots and holes are most likely to reduce weight, were I too guess.
By Austin
I have not. Apparently one of the Hammond boxes was on back order and I didn't realize it. And my order isn't shipping until they're back in stock :sigh:

I got a notification that my RUB Valves shipped. Should be here tomorrow. I only ordered two, but I may pick up a couple of more if you're going to stock them in the shop. I want to build four of these damn things, because I'm crazy.
By KoCo
AJ Quick wrote:Austin,

Have you received any of the other parts to verify accuracy?

I just got in contact with RUB Valves. I will be able to purchase them in bulk. :wink:
I have all of the aforementioned boxes shipping to me. If Austin would like, I could take some pictures and compare measurements with photos. I don't know when his will be delivered, and I don't want to step on his toes.

I know I sound impatient by saying this. That's because I am. Any word on price for the ball valves yet? I want to start bending aluminum!
By Austin
So this is how it arrives from the manufacturer:

You need to remove the handle and flip it the other way around:

Very simple fix, just not something I was expecting to have to do.

Few more shots:

By Austin
KoCo wrote: I have all of the aforementioned boxes shipping to me. If Austin would like, I could take some pictures and compare measurements with photos. I don't know when his will be delivered, and I don't want to step on his toes.
Go for it! I'm tired of waiting for confirmation! LOL

I can't check the status of my order since I checked out as guest. That's what I get for being lazy.
By KoCo
Man, that looks great!

Any guess as to the size of the TE Connectors mentioned in this thread?
I saw somewhere that the size 13 cable clamp takes a 0.45" cable/hose, so I'm assuming that's the correct size. The hose looks to be .5" to me.

My only other question about those is the receptacle, which is the piece that would plug into the handle.
I'm not able to find any that have a circular lip that would be able to be flush mounted to the inside of a threaded pipe. All of the ones I see have a section that is unthreaded between the overhanging lip and the threads, meaning the lip can't sit flush with the butt of the back handle unless there's a recessed inner tube within the handle.

I honestly can't tell if that's clear or not, so I'm gonna press "Submit" and see what happens.
By Austin
KoCo wrote:Any guess as to the size of the TE Connectors mentioned in this thread?
I saw somewhere that the size 13 cable clamp takes a 0.45" cable/hose, so I'm assuming that's the correct size. The hose looks to be .5" to me.
That's what lead me to pick the size 13 clamp as it was the only one with an opening big enough to accommodate the hose.
As far as the housing/plug itself, I went with the 796094-2 because, again, it was the only one large enough. I will say that in the photos the SoCal guys posted, you can see that the housing is a 9-pin plug instead of a 4(which the 796094-2 is), but all of the 9-pin plugs on Allied Electronics were too small or had no dimensions listed. Admittedly, I have not looked elsewhere for a 9-pin plug the right size.

KoCo wrote:My only other question about those is the receptacle, which is the piece that would plug into the handle.
I'm not able to find any that have a circular lip that would be able to be flush mounted to the inside of a threaded pipe. All of the ones I see have a section that is unthreaded between the overhanging lip and the threads, meaning the lip can't sit flush with the butt of the back handle unless there's a recessed inner tube within the handle.
That's the beauty of cosmetic over functional. Doesn't have to work like it's intended to in the real world. I would imagine any of the circular receptacles that fit the OD of the pipe can easily be modified to fit flush. A little dab of E6000 to hold it in place and you're good to go.
By KoCo
Austin wrote:That's what lead me to pick the size 13 clamp as it was the only one with an opening big enough to accommodate the hose.
As far as the housing/plug itself, I went with the 796094-2 because, again, it was the only one large enough. I will say that in the photos the SoCal guys posted, you can see that the housing is a 9-pin plug instead of a 4(which the 796094-2 is), but all of the 9-pin plugs on Allied Electronics were too small or had no dimensions listed. Admittedly, I have not looked elsewhere for a 9-pin plug the right size.
Try the 206708-1. It looks like a winner to me!
Austin liked this
By jason407
KoCo wrote:Try the 206708-1. It looks like a winner to me!
Yeah, that's what I found as well.
Here are the parts that my digging led me to...I can give more info on them once they arrive.

206708­1 (x2)
206966­7 (x2)
206705­2
206705­1
Austin liked this
By Austin
I don't know how I missed that 9-pin connector! Awesome, thank you guys!
Austin wrote: Go for it! I'm tired of waiting for confirmation! LOL

I can't check the status of my order since I checked out as guest. That's what I get for being lazy.
Of course after I say this, I get an email today notifying me that my packaged has shipped. And when I check the tracking number, it says it's out for delivery today. So I guess photos to follow.
By CPU64
Azurial wrote:I suppose that's true... I guess my complaint is that the could have just gone with something more practical...

So I've started to work on a 3D model of the reboot pack, trying to tear away the outer parts and see how it could be constructed. It seems to me that the pipes on the pack really dont offer any fucntional use other than being a means to hold down the cyclotron and acting as a conduit for heat to dissipate (from the fictional standpoint)(circle 1). I say this because the piping literally goes strait into the mounting plate/motherboard via stand off fittings on the underside of the bottom counter.

The elbow fittings aren't standard either - they're custom bent out of slightly larger diameter pipes. It looks almost as if they fittings were joined using cap screws, then bent. Theres some evidence of it on the visible part of the bend which does lend itself to the "made in my basement" look..(Circle 2)

Sorry if this was already mentioned.. The fittings are standard. You can't just bend a straight tube into an elbow without the specific type pipe bender..

BTW, some parts in this video might blow your mind while answering one of those "how did they do?" questions :)
By Austin
Received the parts from Allied Electronics. As far as I've concluded, everything is accurate minus the 4-pin connector.

So here's an updated list. All of the following is accurate:

-1/2'' Copper Pipe x 6ft
-3/4'' Copper Pipe x 4''
-1/4'' Copper Pipe x 2''
-1/2'' 45° Copper Elbow x 6
-1/2'' 90° Copper Elbow x 3
-1/2'' Copper Coupler x 4
-3/4'' 90° Copper Elbow x 2
-1/4'' 90° Copper Elbow x 4
-1/2'' RUB Brass Ball Valve, P.N. T242D00 x 1
-Hammond Aluminum Project Enclosure, 2.3x2.17x1.02, P.N. 1550Q x 1
-Hammond Aluminum Project Enclosure, 4.4x2.3x1.6, P.N. 1590BS x 1
-Hammond Aluminum Project Enclosure, 3.5x1.38x1.02, P.N. 1550A x 1
-Rubber Boot for 2.5'' Ashcroft DG25 Gauge, P.N. 471B190-01 x 1
-TE Connectivity Round Connector Cable Clamp, P.N. 206966-7 x 2
-0.75'' Round Pointer Knob w/ Red Face x 1
-0.5'' Round Pointer Knob w/ Blue Face x 1
-0.9'' Round Knurled Knob w/ Bronze Insert x 2
(All Electronics appears to be out of the original knobs I posted, but these are identical minus the black dot, which is easily removed)

The following is not accurate:

-Hammond Aluminum Project Enclosure, 4.77x2.6x1.39, P.N. 1590N1 x 1(I was not certain on this one to begin with, so I didn't order one until I could measure the bottom of the 1590BS. Glad I waited!)
-TE Connectivity Round Connector Housing, P.N. 796094-2 x 2

I'm looking for the replacement for the 1590N1 Hammond box, and I'll be ordering the 206708-1 9-pin connector suggested by KoCo, and the receptacles suggested by jason407. Guys, please chime in with your findings on these parts if you receive them before I do!
fifth_beatle liked this
By Austin
Here are the LED readouts:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... 5-LB-303MA

And going back to the plug receptacles, all of the round ones I can find have flat spots on either side of it. From all of the reference currently available, the ones on the butt of the thrower handle do not have said flat spots. So are we looking for receptacles from a different manufacturer? Was it something custom? Did they put square ones in a lathe and turn them down to be round?
By jason407
Austin wrote:Here are the LED readouts:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... 5-LB-303MA

And going back to the plug receptacles, all of the round ones I can find have flat spots on either side of it. From all of the reference currently available, the ones on the butt of the thrower handle do not have said flat spots. So are we looking for receptacles from a different manufacturer? Was it something custom? Did they put square ones in a lathe and turn them down to be round?
How do you plan to drive the readouts?

I had the same issue with the connector, but could not find alternatives...so, I am waiting to see what it looks like when it shows up. In the photos, it's hard to really make it out...could just be some piece glued in. I've seen that the cable disconnects from the pack, but it looks like it does not disconnect from the gun.
By Austin
jason407 wrote:How do you plan to drive the readouts?
Haven't thought that far ahead. Honestly, I wasn't going to bother with working electronics until either after the film is released, or if footage surfaces of how the electronics function before then.
jason407 wrote:I had the same issue with the connector, but could not find alternatives...so, I am waiting to see what it looks like when it shows up. In the photos, it's hard to really make it out...could just be some piece glued in. I've seen that the cable disconnects from the pack, but it looks like it does not disconnect from the gun.
True that it doesn't look like it disconnects from the pack, so it could be anything. I'm going to try and lathe down the square ones and see how that turns out.

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]