By JoeLuna33
It's not a colander. It's a custom made piece. If you look at the close up pics you can see that there is a step in it down near the mobo.
By AdamKingXV
So regarding that elusive motherboard...

I know for myself if it's not a pre-existing product, I'm not going to be able to recreate it in metal on my own. However, I do have lots of experience with and access to a laser cutter and acrylic sheets. I might experiment with replicating that slot/hole pattern, cutting a sheet, and heating and bending it to match with a heat gun. while this might not be AS sturdy as metal, given the thickness, I feel like the pack frame will provide most of the support for the rest of the pack.

What do you guys think of this idea?
monolith21 wrote:Image

The purple wire here wasn't supposed to be exposed he said. It was done for the show and somehow came loose.
Now, one thing I been meaning to ask is how sturdy is the magnetic holster ?
By jason407
AdamKingXV wrote:So regarding that elusive motherboard...

I know for myself if it's not a pre-existing product, I'm not going to be able to recreate it in metal on my own. However, I do have lots of experience with and access to a laser cutter and acrylic sheets. I might experiment with replicating that slot/hole pattern, cutting a sheet, and heating and bending it to match with a heat gun. while this might not be AS sturdy as metal, given the thickness, I feel like the pack frame will provide most of the support for the rest of the pack.

What do you guys think of this idea?
I was considering trying the same approach. I think I know someone that may be able to cut an acrylic sheet for me if I layout the pattern. I am concerned about how sturdy it would be though...I was planning on looking at different acrylic sheets to see my options. I would leave the are behind the backpack full as adding holes there would be unseen and would make it too flimsy in my opinion.
By christphern
The fact that the holes and slots don't seem to serve any actual mounting purpose, and are just used for convenience (there are plenty of the slots used, rather than holes), I'd be willing to bet it's an off the shelf item. I can't see the logic in cutting slots where you're going to be attaching bolts or screws, when holes would have worked infinitely better. You can even see where on many they had to use washers (which weren't used on some), because the gap was too wide for the head to sit in securely.
By AJ Quick
It is definitely a found part. But what it's normal purpose is for?

I was searching for mounting equipment for rigging in the film industry. Camera mounts, light mounts... Etc.

I did see a few off road car related things that could have been similar, but nothing concrete.
By AdamKingXV
christphern wrote:The fact that the holes and slots don't seem to serve any actual mounting purpose, and are just used for convenience (there are plenty of the slots used, rather than holes), I'd be willing to bet it's an off the shelf item. I can't see the logic in cutting slots where you're going to be attaching bolts or screws, when holes would have worked infinitely better. You can even see where on many they had to use washers (which weren't used on some), because the gap was too wide for the head to sit in securely.
Well it definitely LOOKS like a found part, but that doesn't mean it is. The interesting thing about this versionis that it looks more cobbled together than the original. Case in point, the vent at the center of the Faraday cage. It looks like something off a pre-existing device, but is most likely created for the pack. Ditto for the motherboard. The art design of the pack is that it's built from found parts, but that may not be the case.
My point was that the mounting slots and holes make no sense if it was fabricated by the prop department. They'd only make sense if it was a found item that was repurposed.

AJ, I'm still almost certain that an industrial rig of some kind is a likely candidate. Backpack leaf blowers share many similarities with the motherboard, even down to some having similar designs to the straps on the pack.
By monolith21
Threadender wrote:
monolith21 wrote:Image

The purple wire here wasn't supposed to be exposed he said. It was done for the show and somehow came loose.
Now, one thing I been meaning to ask is how sturdy is the magnetic holster ?

Not at all reliable from my point of view. Just moments before I took the picture of back of the pack the wand dropped off and nearly met an untimely nose first end. I snagged it right before it hit and got applause from the people around at Mattel. lol

The dock at the bottom definitely helps keep it in place and in a crowded con like Comic con International it definitely helped keep it from getting hooked. If one was to run with the pack on it would come off in a matter of seconds.

It was great on the quick draw but with this system I'd be carrying the wand the entire time. I wouldn't trust it. The whole time I was wearing it I was thinking some kind of quick release system that kept it secure while slung would be great so it didn't just rely on the magnet. I'd be surprised if all the packs used the magnets alone. Any scene where they are running around you can bet there is more than just that magnet holding it together.
By AJ Quick
Received a tip that the main board could be a Scuba "backplate".

Doing a quick search shows lots of similar results, but nothing shaped like this one or nearly as wide.

I'm kind of starting to doubt the found nature of the item given the fact that it seems to be purpose made to be used as a backpack with the straps attaching at the top, and the shelf at the bottom.
Except that they appear to have just grabbed holes and used them, rather than had holes specifically made for it. If the holes seemed specifically laid out for the pack, I could buy it being fabricated. It just seems completely illogical to assume that they would scratch build a motherboard this complicated, and instead of putting the holes where they needed them in the CAD drawing, they just stuck slots and holes wherever they felt like.
By Austin
I looked at scuba backplates as well and turned up the same results you did. I, too, am starting to doubt it's something off the shelf.

It seems to share the most characteristics with a molle frame. But I have searched for hours upon hours upon hours and exhausted every possible search term I can think of and I haven't found anything that comes close as a whole. Which is what I've also run in to when searching for the straps.

At this point, I'm inclined to believe the mobo and straps are custom. I agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense to include so many mounting slots if the majority are covered by the person wearing it, but I'm with AdamKing on this that it very well could have been designed that way for the purpose of looking like a found item.

It's the prop master's job to make it believable and make sense for the story, so it's not out of the ordinary for props to contain a lot of details that will likely never be seen on screen.
By Austin
Something else I just realized - the barrel rest has the same style of slots as the mobo:

Not saying it's definitive proof of custom fabrication, but it does lend slightly more credibility to it. At least in my opinion.
By AJ Quick
Austin wrote:Something else I just realized - the barrel rest has the same style of slots as the mobo:
And the barrel of the gun.

As for the theory of why they would go through the trouble of adding all the holes in the first place... rather than drilling them out as they build it:

Weight.

That's easily a 10lb peice of aluminum. Not saying the holes would have reduced that significantly, but 2-3lbs, sure.
By Austin
AJ Quick wrote:And the barrel of the gun.
Oh snap! Hadn't even paid attention to that!
AJ Quick wrote:As for the theory of why they would go through the trouble of adding all the holes in the first place... rather than drilling them out as they build it:

Weight.

That's easily a 10lb peice of aluminum. Not saying the holes would have reduced that significantly, but 2-3lbs, sure.
Good point. That makes more sense than anything.
I understand that they'd drill it out for weight reasons. But one would think that they'd make sure that any holes they needed to mount the actual pack to it would be sized properly, and actually be holes rather than slots, before they started to mill the thing out. It's more likely, imho, that it's a found item, either as it is, or as a flat board, that was then bent into the shape needed.
By AJ Quick
christphern wrote:It's more likely, imho, that it's a found item, either as it is, or as a flat board, that was then bent into the shape needed.
The problem is if you look at the photos there is no slot / hole pattern on the bend itself, and the pattern changes right above the bend. The board was designed to have that bend in place.

Similarly, the top appears to have been designed with the intent of bending out as well.

If it was a found item, it pretty much had to have been designed to look the way it does from the start... and most likely be used as a backpack item in the first place.
By JoeLuna33
Just as a bit of info, The Ashcroft gauge cover does look accurate to me. However, the pack at SDCC had an air pressure gauge inside the rubber boot. We weren't able to ID the type of gauge since there was so much weathering on the face, but it was an air pressure gauge for sure. :love:

Here is the best pic I have of it:
By Austin
JoeLuna33 wrote:Just as a bit of info, The Ashcroft gauge cover does look accurate to me. However, the pack at SDCC had an air pressure gauge inside the rubber boot. We weren't able to ID the type of gauge since there was so much weathering on the face, but it was an air pressure gauge for sure. :love:
I looked into the the gauge boot more a week or so ago and found that older analog Ashcroft gauges also used the same boot, so that's most likely what it is. Probably old surplus. If the face on all of the packs are as weathered as the SDCC pack, and you couldn't make out any identifying marks in person, then it probably doesn't mater what brand gauge you use.
AJ Quick wrote:I was going to see if I could find this warning, label... then I figured out what it said:

Image.
It also looks 3D printed. So anyone out there with a 3D printer willing to do a run of these? :love:
By Austin
AJ Quick wrote:Working on building up a stock of parts and making them available:

http://www.gbfans.com/shop/reboot-pack-parts/

Will be stocking the project boxes and more plumbing fittings soon.
Awesome :love: I'll be grabbing a couple more ball valves soon.

Also, don't stock any 3/4'' copper fittings. I don't know what I was smoking when I said the fittings on the thrower were 3/4'', but that's WAY too big. Going to double check my measurements, but I believe they are actually 3/8''.
By jason407
Austin wrote:Image.

It also looks 3D printed. So anyone out there with a 3D printer willing to do a run of these? :love:
I don't think that my 3D printer has enough resolution to print that small detail. :(
By jason407
It did better than I thought actually.
It's not completely readable, but it looks like neither is the one in that photo.
I may try and tweak my settings and give it another go when I get a chance. Otherwise, this might just be good enough for my build. :)
Austin, Kingpin liked this
By Austin
jason407 wrote:It did better than I thought actually.
It's not completely readable, but it looks like neither is the one in that photo.
I may try and tweak my settings and give it another go when I get a chance. Otherwise, this might just be good enough for my build. :)
Not bad! :love:
UFO wrote:Paul feig just told me on Twitter that the back plate was laser cut then rolled to give it the shelf. Was a custom piece. We can stop looking for a found item.
SO MANY HOURS OF MY LIFE I'LL NEVER GET BACK!!! But awesome news. Thanks for the confirmation!
Ron Daniels liked this

Also, sorry I can’t answer the question, but[…]

There's some fun dialogue TV-edits, a replacement[…]

Thanks The_Y33TER ! Confirmation there's no elect[…]

A little sneak preview of one of the bedrock parts[…]