By Austin
I'd really like to know what the actual gauge is inside the boot. The lens is pretty discolored and scuffed up, but I can make out what I assume are numbers and a pointer. A pressure gauge makes the most sense but I suppose they could have made a custom face as well.
By Azurial
Why would they even bother winding the coil like that any way? Its pretty hard to see unless you get really close to the pack and even then, a lot of the effect is lost under the meshing... was it easier some how than just clipping some copper tube and bending it a bit? It certainly couldn't have been cheaper if they did in fact use it to make 28 packs (if that really is the case) unless they had a huge budget to work with and they just wanted to run out all the cash...
By JoeLuna33
Full-Roaming-Vapor wrote:
monolith21 wrote:There were 26 packs made for production!
That's amazing. Do you have a source on that?
Yes! Monolith21 and I were on hand when the pack was delivered and we got to hold the wand and photograph it and the pack before the glass was installed on the case.
fifth_beatle liked this
By Hijacker
Azurial wrote:Why would they even bother winding the coil like that any way? Its pretty hard to see unless you get really close to the pack and even then, a lot of the effect is lost under the meshing... was it easier some how than just clipping some copper tube and bending it a bit? It certainly couldn't have been cheaper if they did in fact use it to make 28 packs (if that really is the case) unless they had a huge budget to work with and they just wanted to run out all the cash...
Little hidden details can sometimes make a part. It's not noticable at first glance, but it adds a layer of depth once you get up close and personal.

In the old 35mm days, it was easy to sub in analogues for a lower level of detail as they can look identical on film. With today's HD digital cameras, little details are now readily noticable on screen and adding that level of depth aids in selling the prop on screen as something that can exist.

Think about how often people have gotten close to screen used proton packs and started to notice all the nuanced issues with how shoddy they were put together.
By Azurial
I suppose that's true... I guess my complaint is that the could have just gone with something more practical...

So I've started to work on a 3D model of the reboot pack, trying to tear away the outer parts and see how it could be constructed. It seems to me that the pipes on the pack really dont offer any fucntional use other than being a means to hold down the cyclotron and acting as a conduit for heat to dissipate (from the fictional standpoint)(circle 1). I say this because the piping literally goes strait into the mounting plate/motherboard via stand off fittings on the underside of the bottom counter.

The elbow fittings aren't standard either - they're custom bent out of slightly larger diameter pipes. It looks almost as if they fittings were joined using cap screws, then bent. Theres some evidence of it on the visible part of the bend which does lend itself to the "made in my basement" look..(Circle 2)

By Kingpin
zombielucas wrote:This thread is awesome.

What's a good way to keep a running parts list? Maybe a Google Doc that each of you could contribute to? Part name, pack placement, and a source to purchase said part? I'm not great at discovering what's what, but I could help organize the information in a digestible way if it helps.
The initial post can be revised by a Moderator to include links, part images, and an overall diagram of the various pieces, so that it's nice and easy to locate. :)
By pyhasanon
timmystyle wrote:Anyone care to guess if they're going to use practical lighting effects within the cyclotron? Seems more likely that it'd be added in post, but I'm trying to scratch together speculative ideas using off the shelf parts for a home build; an ambient pulsating glow, maybe automotive led strips, I dunno?
It would be cool to see some arcing and sparking from the Faraday cage... kinda like a Tesla coil effect, but not as dangerous and wild... LOL
By AJ Quick
zombielucas wrote:This thread is awesome.

What's a good way to keep a running parts list? Maybe a Google Doc that each of you could contribute to? Part name, pack placement, and a source to purchase said part? I'm not great at discovering what's what, but I could help organize the information in a digestible way if it helps.
We have a whole Wiki that can be updated with parts:

http://www.GBFans.com/wiki/
By monolith21
They talked about a few other pieces of gear. They will likely release pictures of the PKE next which supposedly looks very Real Ghostbusters style!

I can't wait to see some of the other packs. This one had a few marks on it that could fairly easily I.D. it. It leaves for filming in a few weeks. There is a scar in the upper right of the mesh. The sony Rep called this one the Mark II pack.

He also said some high end replicas will likely be available. Replicating that motherboard seems to be the first hurdle.

The pack is made like a tank! Super comfortable to wear though.
By Jangonate
monolith21 wrote:They talked about a few other pieces of gear. They will likely release pictures of the PKE next which supposedly looks very Real Ghostbusters style!

I can't wait to see some of the other packs. This one had a few marks on it that could fairly easily I.D. it. It leaves for filming in a few weeks. There is a scar in the upper right of the mesh. The sony Rep called this one the Mark II pack.

He also said some high end replicas will likely be available. Replicating that motherboard seems to be the first hurdle.

The pack is made like a tank! Super comfortable to wear though.
Very jealous of this pic! Glad I held on to my RGB PKE replica now. Might be able to mod it to look like the films.

So replicas could be incoming? Hhmmm. I wonder who will be producing them. It was in Matty's case.
By christphern
AJ Quick wrote:I almost want to bet that motherboard is an off the shelf piece as well.
I'm thinking the same thing. The top of the motherboard looks like something that would be made for a product, not a prop. I want to say I've seen hiking frames that had a similar overall design to them, but don't quote me on that. Given the way they're attached, though, the straps and motherboard clearly weren't from the same item. I can't imagine any pack getting greenlit for mass production with that attachment design.
By avlisdivad
I've started a build myself. I just ordered the knobs thanks to Austins posts. I found a few more switches for the gun on the same site. When I get them all I can confirm how accurate they are and post links.

I can tell you so far the most difficult part is the Gun Body. It's all over the place with details and bevels, etc.

Most of the other parts I've found are CLOSE but not exact. If they work out Ill post images and links. I can tell most of you are looking for EXACT parts. My pack will be 50/50 since Im fabricating the generic items with Alum and Sintra.
By Austin
avlisdivad wrote:I found a few more switches for the gun on the same site. When I get them all I can confirm how accurate they are and post links.
You found them on All Electronics? I looked but didn't find anything that matched the gun. What did I miss?!
By avlisdivad
Austin wrote:
avlisdivad wrote:I found a few more switches for the gun on the same site. When I get them all I can confirm how accurate they are and post links.
You found them on All Electronics? I looked but didn't find anything that matched the gun. What did I miss?!

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-st ... %3BN%3B%7D

Does this look correct for the Red Trigger Button?

By pyhasanon
While I'm not the biggest fan of the design of the new packs and uniforms, the amount of detail on this is insane, and I'm loving this thread, almost to a point that I want to build one of my own to every minute detail like I did my GB1 hero pack (well, almost)... I get excited just reading how everybody is dissecting the pack and uniforms, this really is a lot of fun to witness...
By Hammer
I'm anxious to see more pics of what's inside the mesh cage. There's so much going on inside there. My first thought on the wrapped wire , purely to replicate....not necessarily a bold identification was, bass guitar string.
By J10kmn
Reminds me of a metal pegboard or pegpanel.

By avlisdivad
Slightly off topic but this is a good place to post.... I'm using #whatyougonnabuild for all of my tweets/posts on my own Reboot pack build. When I suggested using #whatyougonnabuild on twitter, Paul Feig himself favorited the tweet, so he might be watching our builds. Whatever you think of the movie, I think its cool he's keeping an eye on the fans.

By jason407
I started a build last night per request from my sister-in-law.
What are you using for the heat sink rings?
The gun has a lot of details that look challenging...I may have to skimp a little on the accuracy. ;)

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]