nick-a-tron wrote:Such a clean build! Will you be making a mould of this to cast a glass copy?
Super thanks Nick!

There are no plans as of now to mould or reproduce this pack. We're in a 1 bedroom apartment. Perhaps if there's a garage in the future I might strip it and mould it, but for now it's just going to be my main hero costume pack.
Quick update. Didn't do much. Cut the pipe for the ppd and carved out it's resting area. Didn't take in progress shots as it didn't take long but here's how everything looks so far. Next up is finishing crack gen/gear box, then gun mount.

Finally got this thing done! Now I can see why it's called the dreaded gearbox/crack generator.

Next up will be the gun mount.

twmedford23 liked this
When I built my styrene pack, I built the thrower first since I wanted to use it as practice. The first part of the pack I built after that was the gearbox/crank generator and I also found it to be a pain in the neck. I had to take a month off after that. It almost derailed the whole project!
Batfly liked this
robandliv wrote:Wow, can you video making some of these parts. your work is really clean.
I'm very much stealing my techniques right from Hooker's Scratch Pack thread: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... -- 5/26/10

His goal was to show you could make a pack with basic tools like hobby blade, rulers, glue, etc. Probably much more info you could get out of Hooker's build thread than any videos I could make. I'll see what I can do though.

Thanks for the comments and looks!
Robandliv: you're getting your wish. Next update will be of the video variety. Might take a bit as I'm taking multiple shots over a few days and editing them together. Stay tuned :)
First of all, Happy Thanksgiving to all that it applies! Second, here is the video tutorial of basic styrene building technique that was requested. It's 38 minutes long and documents the construction of the gun mount. Let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy and that it helps anyone out with questions on my process.

I know a lot of people use a straight edge while cutting, I don't as sometime it seems the razor either moves the edge or it still doesn't follow it completely. I personally get better result tracing the line free hand style.

Anyway, here's the video :)

twmedford23 liked this
fearless-freak wrote:that video's a great help, i've got a question for when i start my EGB pack next year is it possible to heat styrene up to shape it?
Yes, it is. Use a heat gun and monitor it for playability. Use a round form (a cup or some cylinder that is either the size of the curve you want our a little smaller) and bend it around it until it cools. Hope this makes sense.
Batfly wrote:
fearless-freak wrote:that video's a great help, i've got a question for when i start my EGB pack next year is it possible to heat styrene up to shape it?
Yes, it is. Use a heat gun and monitor it for playability. Use a round form (a cup or some cylinder that is either the size of the curve you want our a little smaller) and bend it around it until it cools. Hope this makes sense.
Also, styrene is used in vacationers, where a while sheet is heated evenly and then dropped over a positive mould called a buck. A strong vacuum is used to pull the heated styrene tightly around the buck, sometimes a secondary vacuum is used to aid the first one for finer details. The studio creation vacushells are made this way. Styrene takes heat forming well. :)
Very informative video. I told my gf "no more packs, I promise" but I'm now contemplating making another out of styrene. Had I known how easy it is to work with, I would have been using it from the beginning. Live and learn. Question, though: is it recommended to fiberglass the shell or will the shell be durable enough without it?
Batfly liked this
I'm purposefully making my entire pack out of 0.125" (1/8th inch) styrene for strength. Each piece feels pretty sturdy. If one were to use 0.06" or even 0.08" I'd probably recommend glassing it. Then again, this is my first pack so hopefully someone with more experience/knowledge can chime in.

Again, in my case since I'm using all thicker styrene, I don't feel it's needed on my pack.
Batfly wrote:
it does thanks, what if i can't get my hands on a heat gun?
it does thanks, what if i can't get my hands on a heat gun?
Not too sure lol. You could probably use a torch, but there are inherent dangers in that to oneself and the plastic. Heat guns are very common and not expensive. I got mine from harbor freight a couple years ago for less than $20. Home depot, Lowe's, hell Wal-Mart might even have them. Amazon for sure if you're into the online shopping thing. Love my heat gun :)
fearless-freak wrote:i don't live in america
Oh whoops, sorry didn't realize that. Still should be fairly common in any hardware store.
Batfly wrote: Also, styrene is used in vacationers, where a while sheet is heated evenly and then dropped over a positive mould called a buck. A strong vacuum is used to pull the heated styrene tightly around the buck, sometimes a secondary vacuum is used to aid the first one for finer details. The studio creation vacushells are made this way. Styrene takes heat forming well. :)
Should say 'used in VACUFORMERS' and 'a WHITE styrene sheet'. These posts were done on my phone. :P
Updates will be coming later today. This is right now! Movie with commentary just started. (Never watched it with it on. I know! Right? ! ) This thing ain't gonna build itself. Let's run some lights!

I learned quite a lot with the commentary on, you're right. Was one of the funnier commentaries I've heard too.

Ok, almost exactly 3 hours of work done and I have the synchronous generator top and bottom level cosmetic plating top done. So stoked I achieved my goal of having these two pieces share the same cut line. Woo! Tomorrow hopefully I'll get all the side pieces cut and glued. Might save the curved sides fit their own day, we'll see.

Laid out the lines and scored. Forgot how much this scoring pressure kills your fingers.

These two shots above and below are like OCD crack to me! Look how perfectly they line up. Ah.

Were you waiting for these shots?

twmedford23, Martinus liked this

For sure. I think seeing ordinary guys like the Gh[…]

You can see our Paranormal Boots in action here: […]

Ghostheads

Ghostheads is SO bad. So cringe. Not even in a g[…]

The opening post contain a lot information. Quick […]