Hi everyone!

I'm very excited to be here! Finally!

I started building a new Proton Pack last week, my first build, heavily influenced by Rigg's Studio Creations Build. Thanks Rigg's! I used to own another Proton Pack (below) which I purchased from a builder in 2005, but I ended up selling that one to cover some expenses in 2008.

It also weighed 35lbs, and the goal here was to build a lighter pack as cheap as possible, but mostly purchasing the pre-fabbed parts needed.

I bought an Alice Pack frame from http://www.armynavydeals.ca/. Then I bought some resin parts and a cable clamp from Heavy Props off eBay, and a Matty V-Hook and Shell Mounting Kit from Ejgunth87.

Then the shell arrived from Studio Creations. Perhaps it is 85% accurate, but it looks about right by eye, not as far off as many shells I've seen out there. Love the weight too!

My small workspace in my downstairs hallway.

I dremel'd out the worst of the webbing from the plastic vacuform process like Rigg's did. I kept the minor ones for rigidity.

Sanded down the entire shell with the removed webbing. Used Rigg's technique by using a wood block to get into sharp corners. That worked pretty well.

I had an N-Filter shipped to me from Nickatron Props in the UK. This is super quality stuff. In retrospect, I may have purchased an entire kit from him if the quality is this good. The N-Filter is more accurate then the shell though, so it's quite a bit larger in scale and overlaps. I decided to shift the N-Filter Hole a tiny bit up and a bit more towards the center to make the fitment better. I think this'll work fine. I'll fill in the gaps later.

Time to start filling in the holes caused by cutting out the webbing. I also used Kwik Plastic by JB Weld. It says not you use your bare skin, but my skin isn't sensitive, and I noticed Rigg's fingerprints in his photos, so I figured go for it. Worked out fine (I think).

For the cosmetic plating, I found some plastic cutting boards at the dollar store. I decided I wanted a bit more detail out of the overall look of the plates, so I cut them 1/8" shorter than Rigg's 2.5" x 1.5". I like it! Also, I tried using snips to cut the board. Although this worked, it made a mess of edges. After discovering this doesn't work very well, I scored my cuts with a Utility Knife, then just broke the plates apart by hand or large pliers, this worked just fine!

Next, I did epoxy the shell together, but I did it flush on it's back for a natural fit, opposite from Rigg's setup. I just glued the surfaces that would touch and pushed the two shell halves together. Yes, a tiny section (1cm) glued to the wooden work board, and was stuck the next day. I was a bit worried, but popped right off using my Square Ruler. I plan on bolting it on the inside later.

I cut one of the cosmetic plates a little shorter for the shell overlap and glued it on, using heavy pliers to hold and set it overnight.

The next morning, I used the Kwik Plastic to fill in the split gaps between the two shell halves. I was really meticulous with this process, because I really want it to look as smooth as possible after sanding, plus add some strength. I also started filling in the N-Filter/Shell gap with the leftover Kwik Plastic from this process. I'll have that filled in eventually.

Are you ready for Star Wars: The Force Awakens!? Yes, that's a Dan Aykroyd signed Crystal Skull bottle on the shelf there. :)

My last work before this post. I used the JB Weld Plastic Epoxy to apply the rest of the cosmetic plates around the Cyclotron.

/w N-Filter fitment

More to come!
Last edited by PHRiSCo on October 30th, 2015, 2:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
By pyhasanon
Looking good! I like how much effort you're putting into this, you're starting off great!
By PHRiSCo
I decided to fiberglass one layer thoughout the inside of the pack. I used this;

I've never fiberglassed before. I learned very quickly to maintain a balance of control and speed. If you're not careful, this can be really messy. Wear rubber gloves and a face mask! The fibers will very quickly start sticking to your gloves as you press down. Also, you have to be pretty quick because the resin starts to gum up pretty quick. I used the method of cutting out most of my main pieces first. Then I applied some resin to the bare plastic to create a tack for the fiberglass to stick to. Once I laid the fiberglass down, I took my cheap brush and brushed pretty good amounts of resin on top.

I used more cutting board and epoxy to build up the larger plates on the bottom and the (side) of the cyclotron. Also, constantly test fitting my pieces.

For the EDA discs. I scored the dollar and hardware stores to find something I really liked. Eventually, I found the lids from GOOP Nail Hole Filler.

I really liked these has they have flat sides and have that little indent in the middle. I made a little jig to cut the EDA Disc out of the lids.

Test Fitting.

I decided to follow Rigg's lead and expoxy some more cutting board plastic on the inside for strength. I did less than he did, but I fiberglassed everything anyway.

Took some Bondo Glazing & Spot and filled the cosmetic plates to hide the seams with the pack and between themselves. Then, used more putty to fill in holes/dents throughout the pack. I've gone further since the following photos. It does become a common theme to fill in noticed imperfections throughout the build. I've also sanded quite a bit of the plastic filler and the bondo.

More test fittings. Also, notice I cut out the cyclotron holes using a 1 1/4" Hole Saw bit on my drill.

I got the bumper from Hole In The Ground, but of course it was built for a more accurate shell, which is fine. The bumper itself is decent quality, but it's pretty porous. Some more care could probably be used in the molding process, but it's good enough. I'll bondo the pores out soon enough. To fix the gaps, I soaked the bumper in hot water for about a minute, then I just squeezed it a little thinner. No problem. Fits like a glove now.

Time to tack in my N-Filter. I was stupid here. There's an imperfection on the bottom edge of the N-Filter, and I decided to have it face down to hide it. DUH. More than half the Filter sits inside the pack where it would never be seen. I was tired and wasn't thinking straight. Oh well, I'll fill it and sand it out.

That's it so far. Next is Power Cell cutting, Crank Generator hose hole cutting, Booster fitment, etc. Then paint!
PHRiSCo! This is looking amazing! You're hitting all the right notes. I love the choice for the EDA disks, they look bang on.

Keep up the great work! I love your details, and the proper N filter looks great on that shell.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

The epoxy in the photo above was the wrong stuff. This is my first time attempting anything like this, please learn from my mistakes! I used the wrong product to attach the cosmetic plates to the cyclotron. The plates and glue peeled right off. Peeling the glue off felt like picking off dead skin. So, I re-prepped everything, more sanding, and used to right stuff to attach. Much better now.

I used the trial and error method to fit the Booster Tube, rather than measuring exactly. This method doesn't work for everyone, and it can make a bit of a mess. I'll fill in the holes later. After it was screwed in, I glued in the sides with some epoxy and a popsicle stick.

Then I used the plastic putty to fill the gap. I also made a little tool from leftover cutting board to make the fake welds.

Time to prep the bumper from Hole In The Ground. I had to spot putty almost the hole thing to smooth it out. No disrespect to HITG, it's still well made and a great piece. After the putty dried, I sanded. I pretty much used 60 for this entire build, because I didn't want the pack to be "too smooth" Maybe I'll change my mind on some parts later on.

Cutting the Power Cell. I took a bit more time measuring this out than the Booster Tube. I wanted the Cell to perfectly line up to the injectors. I also took a look at loads of reference to figure out the size I'd like.

Since I was in the mood for cutting. I also cut out the hose hole in the Gear Box, and the ribbon hole in the pack. I chewed a bit into the pack doing the ribbon hole, but no worries, nothing Bondo can't fix!

I noticed a small detail missing out of the SC Shell, and that is an added fin below the Crank Generator. I used some extra cutting board to add the fin. Then used a bunch of Bondo putty to smooth it out.

Now, I Bondo'd the rest of the pack, and sanded as smooth as I could. Continually fixing problems as I went.

Time to prep for paint! I decided to paint the parts seperately and attach afterwards. The reason for this, is that I'm assuming it'll provide more of an industrial look. I drilled holes for parts (like the bumper below), and taped off some areas where parts will attach so the epoxy will bond better. I'll also be using wood screws to tighten everything down.

Also, rough sanded and wiped all the parts for prep.

I went the metallic paint basecoat route. To weather the pack later. Watch out, overspray is a bitch! Prep your spray area better than I did. Although I used drop plastic, it wasn't enough, and will add more later.

For the motherboard, I decided to go for a big baking sheet;

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00DYX6 ... ge_o06_s00

This might not work out, and I may have to go wood or purchase a motherboard online. My goal for this project is to build the lightest highest quality Proton Pack I could. The motherboard is still a piece of the prop, so having it too thin might be dumb too. After perforating the edges with a drill, I cut the pan out with Aviation Snips. Now I've started pounding it flat. (I found the length was a bit short on the bottom, so I need the extra length on the top/bottom edges to make the length.) I'll find out if this works early this week.

Late update for today... The Satin Black pass. It's taken me a few coats to get every nook and cranny. I had to do anohter coat this morning. Hopefully it's good and dried by the time i get home form work.

PACK IS COMPLETE!

I will update the rest of build next week. As I got closer to Halloween, I stopped documenting every process, as time was my enemy. The Pack was actually completed at 6am EST after I pulled an all-nighter to have it ready for work today, and I still have weathering to do.

I still have quite a few photo steps though!

twmedford23 liked this
Riggs45 wrote:Congrats! Nice looking pack! What a great feeling that is! Cheers.
Thanks a ton to you Riggs! Your thread helped immensely! Although, I'm not sure where you're finding these old school flashlights for reflectors, I used dixie shot glasses with foil for mine! All the dollar stores in Montreal only sell the new LED flashlights.
PHRiSCo wrote:
Riggs45 wrote:Congrats! Nice looking pack! What a great feeling that is! Cheers.
Thanks a ton to you Riggs! Your thread helped immensely! Although, I'm not sure where you're finding these old school flashlights for reflectors, I used dixie shot glasses with foil for mine! All the dollar stores in Montreal only sell the new LED flashlights.

It turned out great man! I remember this feeling! It was exactly a year ago today that I finished as well.

The only place I could find those reflectors was at the Dollar Tree. Dollarama only carries the LED ones. Sounds and looks like you did just fine though.
Absolutely a great build. My Gold and Silver pack is a Studio Creations pack as well. I am actually thinking of building a second pack at some point. I might be doing fiberglass for the shell, just need to get back into this community again.
Continued...

Prepped for paint. In retrospect I probably wouldn't tape anything off other than the Clippard valve after mounting. I wanted a perfect contact but in the end it was more frustrating. The Clippard ended up being on a bit of an angle, but now that I look at film reference the valve's are on somewhat of an angle in many photos, so I'm OK with that.

Pulled off tape.

Glued on parts. I used small flat head screws instead of hex bolts for the Clippard to better match the Matty Gun.

Some paint touch-ups after adding the resin parts.

Removed the tape from the Clippard valve. Test fit the bumper.

Used 1/4" bolts to attach the bumper. I didn't want to use anything smaller because I like the larger industrial look, and am using 1/4" bolts for many parts of the pack.

So the aluminum baking sheet didn't work for me. Wasteful. :( So I decided to try a scrap piece of plexiglass from the hardware store. I really wanted to avoid any wood on this project, same with an aluminum motherboard. I was trying to stick to my plastic theme for consistency and weight. However, the plexiglass broke on me pretty easily, so this didn't work either.

Added metallic label to Clippard valve.

Bolted on the Bumper with the Shock Mount using a 1/4" x 4" bolt. I do want to find a matching flat head bolt to replace this eventually.

Finally found a material for the motherboard. 1/8" flat PVC that I bought from a sign shop. This worked out really well! I traced out the shell using a silver Sharpie, and made several adjustments to find my proper outline. With these shells, I'm sure each motherboard will be a tad different. I also used Stefan's plans to hone my lines out to be more accurate.

Test fitting the Motherboard.

I layered the PVC inside three times, using plastic epoxy to glue them together. The inside is also used as a guide for the shell to sit on, and I made some tabs from the PVC to help guide the shell on. In the end, I ended up removing all the tabs.

Added the brackets to the Motherboard. I kinda screwed up with the bolts on the Motherboard, having the bolts placed inward instead of "around" the cyclotron. This doesn't give me enough room to add the preferred larger washers for the frame mount. I will fix this later.

Dremeled out the interior fiberglass around the light holes so they sit nice and flat after they are attached.

You can see this is tight and I don't like it, but it is what it is right now. Still works!

While I was working on the shell, unfortunately the PVC Motherboard fell off a cardboard box I had loosely stacked on an ottoman. Totally my fault, and a large piece broke off. I fixed this with more plastic epoxy (Have I mentioned this stuff is awesome!?). Then sanded flat after it cured overnight. It's a bit ugly, but hardly noticeable.

I also began using 2" extended nuts to attach the Motherboard to the ALICE Frame. I ended up using the 1" nuts instead.

Top Motherboard bracket and Frame attachment. At first, I only used one bolt to connect the top of the frame. However, this proved to be too weak and the middle pillar of the frame bent quite easily. I ended up adding two more bolts to the Frame/Motherboard in the center cross beam.

Motherboard is prepped and ready to paint.

Coat of aluminum metallic. You can slightly see the results of the damage repair. See, it's not too bad.

Final coat of satin black.

Tape in the lenses of the Cyclotron and Powercell. Once I was happy with the fitment, I spread plastic epoxy around the edges touching the shell using toothpicks.

"Just looking at it."

Mounting the Powercell lights. I did most of this with bad measuring and by eye, I'm no engineer. I couldn't source any vinyl spacers like Rigg's, so I used sewing beads from the dollar store as spacers.

I also couldn't source any flashlights with the old reflectors. So after much trial and error, I decided to use plastic shot glasses from the dollar store, wrapped in some reflective material I also got form the dollar store. This did work, however, I will replace these soon with the same plastic shot glasses but actually painted reflective instead. So I'm just going to add photos but not really get into anymore details. It worked, but I'm not 100% happy with the results.

They work!

N-Filter mesh. Taking another page out of Rigg's build. I used metal grease screen from the dollar store. Cut out the shape, pressed it in the N-Filter with my hands, then used epoxy to set it.

"Final" Motherboard.

Added the Booster Frame /w Ribbon Cable Clamp. Just bolted in, no epoxy between plastic parts, just to secure the bolts.

Test fitment of the Ribbon Hold Down.

Bolted in the Hold Down, and ran the Ribbon through the Clamp and into the pack where it sits pretty loosely. I think I want to twitst the ribbon more later.

Bolted in the Ion Arm. Used epoxy to set the bolts.

(This is where I really started skipping documenting steps. I was so tire and rushing for the big day! HALLOWEEN!)

Prep and paint the resin Resistor's.

Printed the added labels not included with the Metal Vinyl sheet on matte sticker paper. Used several lights coats of gloss clear spray paint to get the proper effect. I was very surprised this worked, but it turned out well!

Attached stuff! Drilled small holes to fit the tubes. Used epoxy with toothpicks to glue down the split tubing on the ends.

"You know it's just occurred to me we really haven't had a completely successful test of this equipment. Eh, no sense worrying about it now. Let's get ready, switch me on."

Bonus kid was Gozer the Destructor for Halloween!

Photographer @ work took this shot then added effects!

The Pack

That's it! Still need to weather, probably lightly to match the Matty Gun. I'll also be making some changes to the Motherboard, fixing the bracket bolt placement, bigger washers for the frame/motherboard bolts, and I might redo the main PVC layer, I'm not sure yet. I'll also be redoing the cyclotron reflectors.

Let me know if you need any help, I'll gladly answer questions!
twmedford23 liked this
Alan Hawkins wrote:I think there's a new owner of the crown for "Best SC Pack".
Thanks! You have a speaker though! Maybe Spongeface will figure out how to have the Matty Gun send sounds too!

You built your own parts, and you built your own gun!

I am not worthy! I appreciate it though.

Beautiful!! I'm getting this even if finances d[…]

You guys are MUCH better at IDing stuff than I am&[…]

Reboot hose attached. And Still working out a fe[…]

Thanks for making this thread - was able to follow[…]