I fell in love with the idea a while back for putting a neon plasma tube in the thrower tip since it gives such a cool looking effect. After having all sorts of crazy issues from the strong EMI the plasma tube gives off I finally got everything to work proper thanks to Spongeface and some others on the site. More pics to come soon of my pack. Here is video of the pilot plasma tube installed in my thrower!

Last edited by Kingpin on January 10th, 2016, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added Youtube code
OCP_Model-001 liked this
It's relatively a simple hookup for the most part. The Pilot Plasma tube runs off 12v just like everything else in my pack so I was able to only use one 12v 20000mah lithium blue brick battery to power everything just fine : Jupiter pack lights, Gbfans sound & Gbfans thrower lights , 15" Pilot Multicolor Plasma tube. The hardest thing for me was mainly just trying to pinpoint the multiple EMI issues I was having being I started out with little knowledge of how plasma works and EMI shielding . The plasma tube fits great in the acrylic tip when carefully removed from the plastic housing it came in. I didn't really have to change anything big to make it work just a few minor things . In fact I have a total of 2 other interchangeable acrylic tips made up i can pop in and out if I decide I want to use a different color plasma tube light red and blue. But the multicolor in the video is my favorite.

My biggest issue that I ran into with the the 12V Pilot Plasma Tube light was I couldn't get my fire sound effect to come on in sync with the plasma light like it was suppose to when pressing the Dpdt push button. The plasma light has a small inverter circuit board that converts DC to high powered AC current causing a lot of extra interference . Even though I was using a Dpdt push switch keeping the sound and light on separate polls the light still was strong enough to interfere with sound. Either one or the other would work fine by themselves but not together . So I installed a relay in between the plasma light and push switch which fixed the problem and now both plasma light and fire sound work in sync when the Dpdt fire button is pressed like it should. I was also at the time using a Crix sound chip and 7w canakit amp and the amp would pick up tons of humming and popping from the plasma light. I then purchased the Gbfans sound board to replace my old Crix sound and 7w Cana kit amp for better sound and that worked much better for some reason cutting out all the extra hum I was getting when firing the plasma light.

Now because I have an all aluminum thrower enclosed with the plasma light it would generate a charged electrical current through the conductive aluminum body giving you a little shock each time you fired the plasma barrel tube light . So I wrapped a ground wire around one of the two Allen screws that sit on the front aluminum barrel of the thrower grounding my gun which would now keep me from getting shocked when the plasma light would come on.

My last little issue I had ran into was I noticed my Gbfans thrower bar graph light was not always doing the center out sequence when firing every time like it should. I narrowed the issue down when I noticed by unhooking the 3 wires that ran up the inside of my front barrel (right next to the plasma tube) connecting the front "gun ear" LED hat light and (vent) push switch the bar graph would work fine and center out display when being fired. Only when the 3 wires were connected to the Gbfans light circuit board I would have the issue . Since the wires ran through the front handle right next to the plasma tube there was no other way to reroute them and I didn't want to have to keep my "gun ear " hat light LED and push switch that controlled the vent sound not hooked up . So I contacted Spongeface and he recommended I add a simple .1uf capacitor between two of three wires on the connector that connected the gun ear wires to the Gbfans light circuit board. This was just enough to drown out any access noise that was acting like an antenna getting to my bar graph causing it to not do the center out sequence when fired. Not sure if you are familiar with the Gbfans thrower light kit but here is a pic to show you what I had to do and how I mounted the cap. The 3 red,black and yellow wires in pic are the wires that connect my gun ear.

Now I'm no electrical expert by any means . After doing my own research on plasma EMI and help from others I was able to eliminate one issue after another. To some people it may sound like too much of a pain in the ass to even bother but I feel it was all worth the couple months it took me to get the Pilot Plasma light to work without causing interference to my other electronics . . For months I was trying to get this plasma tube to work with zero interference issues and I could have just settled for the RGB thrower tip LED light that came with my Gbfans light kit but I just loved the neon plasma tube effect so much I didn't want to give up.

Now since everyones setup is different and unique . Others may not have or run into the same type of issues like I had. In fact the one guy I got the plasma tube idea from Tommys Pack build by "theBossaNova" never had any of the issues I had for reasons I still can't completely figure out why he didn't and I did. Though he has a resin body not aluminum which cuts out a lot of issues right there. He also didn't need a relay like I did to get the plasma tube light to work with the sound on his push switch. He is sharing a single spst push switch for both the plasma tube light and fire sound without getting any interference issues . I first tried wiring mine just like he did. Since the plasma tube can run off 12v same as the sound I thought it would be easy to hook them both to spst push switch and not even need a Dpdt push let alone a relay as well. I first tried wiring mine exactly as he did (trying multiple different switches and wiring) yet for some reason I had to resort to a Dpdt switch with a relay to separate the strong interference . There was no other choice for me .

I will be sure to post more reference pics and wiring diagram So you can better understand how it's hooked up. Though it's pretty simple. Feel free to ask me any more questions u may have on the tube . Will get some photos up in next day or so. Have to dig em up.
Being I'm no expert on electronics I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to get the plasma tube to work with the sound without having to resort to a relay like I did. I just know that with my particular setup the light kept interfering with my fire sound and the relay fixed my issue .
Holy crap! That's so freakin cool.
kregiec liked this
Thanks for the feedback guys! They are little tough to find but you can normally find one person selling them on eBay. They sell for only $15-$20. It's 15" Pilot plasma tube multicolor (part# CZ-192). Also a company called logisys make a blue, red and green one that also run off of 12v. ( I also have the blue and red as well so I could change out colors if I want)The tube runs off 12v so you basically just have to hook it up just like any other light if your using the blue brick battery. Just if for any reason it effects the fire sound like it did mine wire a relay in between .

My setup I have the positive wire hooked to the battery and the push switch is wired so when pressed it connects the negative making the plasma light fire with relay in between . It's a pretty simple setup it just took me a while because I had no knowledge on how to handle EMI issues. If you decide to get one feel free to ask me any other questions may have. Again my apologies for not having a lot of pics yet. I'm trying to get together all the pics I saved to post here shortly .
It's ok UncleSirus I don't fully understand EMI either haha. I just know that the plasma light causes very strong electromagnetic interference and Radio frequency that can interfere with other nearby electronics. To give you an idea of one example if you hold a piece aluminum foil few inches away a plasma globe light it can generate a electric shock through aluminum foil just being any where near the light. So you can see since my light was in a aluminum thrower it caused some issues . In this case a resin gun would have been better but still may get some electromagnetic interference.
I wish they did!! That would be awesome! The Pilot multicolor tube is the only one by Pilot. A company called Logisys make a blue,red (looks more pink) and green one. I bought the blue and red one as well just to try something different but the multicolor by Pilot I felt looked the best. Although it's not completely accurate it does have blue and orange mixed inside . The photo or video really doesn't it do it justice with all the colors.
I've searched all over the Internet and I have seen some that looked more accurate in color but they were like 10ft tall and real expensive. Some companies I've seen do make custom color tubes but they charge a lot. I would like to have custom one made eventually that is more accurate as long as it's not crazy expensive. There are a couple different names for these types of lights. Some call them plasma neon lights, crackle tube, lightning tube etc. Its just basically a mixture of neon and plasma. So it is possible to make them more movie accurate just have to find the right person to do it.
Here is a diagram showing how i wired my 12V Pilot Plasma tube using a typical 12v SPST automotive relay in between to keep plasma light from interfering with fire sound when pressing the dpdt push switch.

Forgive my crude drawing haha. Hope it gets point across
Here is how you wire it to a DPDT switch without a relay. Though because the plasma light has a inverter that converts DC to AC .When hooking these up to a push switch the quick connection when pressed causes EMI (along with the tube light itself) which was effecting my fire sound so i had to wire in a relay (see other diagram) to separate the fire sound and Plasma light connection but still keeping them on same switch.

This is what the tube looks like in my thrower. Pretty much filled lol. I laid out my other color plasma tube side by side to the thrower so u can see how it sits in gun. The blue box in the gun is an inverter for the plasma tube similar to the inverter sitting next to the gun just different manufacturer . This blue inverter came with the Logisy blue and red plasma tube I bought . It's different than the inverter that comes with the pilot multicolor tube but works for either tube . I have the Pilot multicolor tube in the thrower but swapped out the inverter with the Logisy inverter because it sits in a nice blue caseing . Just makes for cleaner look.

The sound activation switch is on one side and the other side are the two positive and negative wires on the other side of inverter circuit which connect to battery side . The two positive and negative wireds in between plasma tube and inverter is the outgoing converted AC current which the wires need to stay short as possible. I had to rewire them when removing the tube from its housing which was nerve racking because the tube is very delicate glass.
Those wires also can generate quite a shock so be careful. I could see the electricity illuminating through one of the wires I used before.
These inverters convert DC to the necessary AC current needed to make the plasma light function. Hooking up this inverter to the a dpdt momentary snap connecting push switch causes current spikes I read when switching on power to inverters. This is what causes electromagnetic field interfering with the sound wired to the same dpdt switch but on different polls . Took me forever to figure why hooking up the sound and plasma light to a dpdt switch wasn't working . Even though they are separated it still effected the sound as well as my bar graph light like explained above. The relay fixed the sound and plasma issue and the .1uf cap placed on the vent connection on GBFans wand lights fixed the bar graph.

Also if using the Pilot plasma tube inverter has a switch that switches from illuminating to sound activation or when power is applied to it. Be sure to keep it switched to power and not sound because it doesn't work well to activating to sound unless u have some loud bass. Plus I didn't want the light going off to random times when sound was on.
Wow I was searching the GB Forum for a cool thrower red acrylic tube light idea and this popped up! This looks amazing!! I just ordered 2 Pilot plasma tube multicolor (part# CZ-192) off eBay $18 each. Thanks for the idea and great explanation!
kregiec liked this
Awesome!! Good luck with it and feel free to pm me if u have any questions or need help with anything. I thinks it's such a cool effect . I think the toughest thing is removing the glass tube from the acrylic and plastic tubing it comes in. It's nerv racking but very doable . Just take your time on that part . Dremel tool and some sort of heating source lighter,torch , heat gun to melt the hot glue holding the glass tube inside worked for me . Then sealing the end with more hot glue once placed in the new acrylic tip for the gun.
Batfly liked this
OK so I bought 2 of the plasma tubes ( in case I eff one up) and I tried wiring it without a relay. A funny thing happens, the ghostbusters song starts playing... yeah so I am going to need that relay after all.
I am going to try running everything ( 30w amp, GB fans soundboard and led/plasma lights) off of one blue battery, we shall see how many hours I get on 1 charge.
kregiec liked this
I wired up the relay last night as per your diagam. It works perfect! I was noticing the red along the tube where the bare copper wire touches... So what if I soldered in a longer bare wire and wrapped the tube a couple times? Will let you know...
I know the closer you have the bare wire on outside pressed up against the tubes glass the better the effect . Also make sure you have the knob on the circuit inverter turned all the way up to get the most effect out of it . Let me know if you have any other issues or questions . Would love to see it when your finished ! If you get chance post up a pic or video!
GBFANS Ghostlabs light kit

When you say you only have the proton pack light k[…]

I'm not familiar with this one (is it a model?) […]

Also somewhat related question...I don't see giz[…]

Ghostbusters Day 2024

Even if Frozen Empire somehow made a billion dol[…]