Small update and would love some feedback please...........

Extremely bored this Sunday afternoon so decided to tackle the ribbon cable twist. It wasn't something I was particularly looking forward to. I hit up GohstTarp's, Pyhasanon's, Grimmy's, Lowberg's and Bishop's build threads as reference and used the advice Lowberg gave me about using loom to wrap the cable around whilst twisting.

Here's the results.......

I'm happy with how it turned out but would love to hear what any of you think.
twmedford23, barison82 liked this
Venkman's Swagger wrote:I hear ya man!! All that can drive a guy loopy lol. I'd thankful that all the info gathered has been a huge help and has allowed me to fully enjoy this build.
Without a doubt, I am so grateful to everyone on this site - and all the resources and knowledge they have made available - I could never have done any of this without them! And it has been an awesome journey so far... :)
Venkman's Swagger liked this
Been looking at a huge amount of reference photos and have probably spent more time researching than actually building.

And your ribbon cable became another reference in that respect :)

Looks good when compared to my reference photos :)
Morfeusoneiros wrote:Been looking at a huge amount of reference photos and have probably spent more time researching than actually building.

And your ribbon cable became another reference in that respect :)

Looks good when compared to my reference photos :)
Thanks Morfy, really appreciate the awesome feedback
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Thanks as always GT. How's things your end?
Going well, thanks. I had to put my pack project on hold while I took care of some house projects. I've got those completed, so I will be posting an update soon.

BTW, your ribbon cable twist looks perfect to me. Well done!
Venkman's Swagger liked this
GohstTarp wrote:
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Thanks as always GT. How's things your end?
Going well, thanks. I had to put my pack project on hold while I took care of some house projects. I've got those completed, so I will be posting an update soon.

BTW, your ribbon cable twist looks perfect to me. Well done!
Good to hear you'll be posting soon. Your build is a fantastic example of how a pack is built man, I love it.

Thanks for the ribbon cable twist compliment GT. Glad I finally committed to the task
Well done on that ribbon cable! Looks great :) That is definitely one of the tricky areas and I've read up quite a bit on how it's done too - did you have to use any heat treatment on it before twisting it into shape? This was recommended by Eric Gunther (Ejgunth), from whom I obtained my cable...
P.S May I also ask, what size/type of brass washers have you used for the ribbon cable clamp, and for the bumper bar? Another area of detail I need to take care of!
Logan XI wrote:Great work on that cable twist VS, it looks as good as some of the veterans cable twists i've seen on here!
WOW thanks Logan. What an amazing compliment, I really appreciate it mate. Thank you
barison82 wrote:P.S May I also ask, what size/type of brass washers have you used for the ribbon cable clamp, and for the bumper bar? Another area of detail I need to take care of!
Thanks for the compliments on the ribbon twist man. I heated it a little with a heat gun first to gain a little more flexibility. Then wrapped/twisted the cable around some loom (pack to Thrower) and cable/zip tied the twist in place. When I was happy, I applied a little more heat to kind of set the twist in place. It's vital the heat is applied excessively as this will ruin the cable.

*Note that the ties should be white, I am waiting on a delivery of them.*

The washers on the booster frame/ribbon cable clamp are M5 and the bumper washers are M6 and both are Form A. I got them on eBay mate. Hope this helps [emoji4]
barison82 liked this
OCP_Model-001 wrote:Dam VS, that's a nice looking pack ;) If i can get my gb1 cable to look like yours, i will be very happy lad ;)
Thanks OCP, really appreciate the awesome comments man. Looking forward to further updates on your build
OCP_Model-001 liked this
Venkman's Swagger wrote:
Logan XI wrote:Great work on that cable twist VS, it looks as good as some of the veterans cable twists i've seen on here!
WOW thanks Logan. What an amazing compliment, I really appreciate it mate. Thank you
Just calling it as i see it, you do alot of research when i comes to working with new things for a build and it definitely shows. :cool:
Logan XI wrote:
Venkman's Swagger wrote: WOW thanks Logan. What an amazing compliment, I really appreciate it mate. Thank you
Just calling it as i see it, you do alot of research when i comes to working with new things for a build and it definitely shows. :cool:
I'm glad my research shows. Makes it all worth while. Thanks again matey, I really appreciate it
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Thanks for the compliments on the ribbon twist man. I heated it a little with a heat gun first to gain a little more flexibility. Then wrapped/twisted the cable around some loom (pack to Thrower) and cable/zip tied the twist in place. When I was happy, I applied a little more heat to kind of set the twist in place. It's vital the heat is applied excessively as this will ruin the cable.

The washers on the booster frame/ribbon cable clamp are M5 and the bumper washers are M6 and both are Form A. I got them on eBay mate. Hope this helps [emoji4]
No worries mate, thanks for that useful info - just picked some of those up now. I already have the washers/screws all sorted into bags, but missed the brass ones...and your sizes confirm that I'm using the correct screws (referenced from GBFans, of course)...I had noticed the black cable ties lol. Knew that was temporary! Which size/length did you order for those? Another detail :!:

Btw, reading what you said about the use of excessive heat on the cable, I think you may have left out 'NOT' before 'applied' :wink:

Cheers!
barison82 wrote:
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Thanks for the compliments on the ribbon twist man. I heated it a little with a heat gun first to gain a little more flexibility. Then wrapped/twisted the cable around some loom (pack to Thrower) and cable/zip tied the twist in place. When I was happy, I applied a little more heat to kind of set the twist in place. It's vital the heat is applied excessively as this will ruin the cable.

No worries mate, thanks for that useful info - just picked some of those up now. I already have the washers/screws all sorted into bags, but missed the brass ones...and your sizes confirm that I'm using the correct screws (referenced from GBFans, of course)...I had noticed the black cable ties lol. Knew that was temporary! Which size/length did you order for those? Another detail :!:

Btw, reading what you said about the use of excessive heat on the cable, I think you may have left out 'NOT' before 'applied' :wink:

Cheers!
You're welcome mate. Glad I could help [emoji2]

I ordered 2.5mm 100mm length ties. No idea if the 2.5mm is accurate, I just eyeballed it and everything else seemed oversized. The length doesn't really matter as it's cut off anyway.

Very good eye sir, I did indeed mean that. Doh!! Dear God please DO NOT use excessive heat on your cable lol
Venkman's Swagger wrote:You're welcome mate. Glad I could help [emoji2]

I ordered 2.5mm 100mm length ties. No idea if the 2.5mm is accurate, I just eyeballed it and everything else seemed oversized. The length doesn't really matter as it's cut off anyway.

Very good eye sir, I did indeed mean that. Doh!! Dear God please DO NOT use excessive heat on your cable lol
Thanks for that mate - they look like the right thing to me :) Just ordered a set too, possibly the cheapest part I've bought for the pack so far lol...

I've made sure to put a clear note with the ribbon cable explaining this important info (just in case) as this will all be in the hands of Benofkent Props in June :)
barison82 wrote:
Venkman's Swagger wrote:You're welcome mate. Glad I could help [emoji2]

Thanks for that mate - they look like the right thing to me :) Just ordered a set too, possibly the cheapest part I've bought for the pack so far lol...

I've made sure to put a clear note with the ribbon cable explaining this important info (just in case) as this will all be in the hands of Benofkent Props in June :)
No worries buddy. Hahaha I know that feeling......... 99p I grabbed mine for lol.

Awesome mate, really looking forward to seeing your pack. You've got so many nice parts, it's going to be immense
Venkman's Swagger wrote:No worries buddy. Hahaha I know that feeling......... 99p I grabbed mine for lol.

Awesome mate, really looking forward to seeing your pack. You've got so many nice parts, it's going to be immense
That's what I got mine for lolzzz...Thanks dude, very encouraging words...I have been at the preparation stage for nearly a year now, lucky I got on the waiting list at Benofkent Props when I did as they are fully booked this year and next!

I've also just been looking at Julz's & Pyhasanon's build threads again, in particular, the part where a vintage flash bulb is incorporated into the wand tip; I've just bought a box of them and I'm having a discussion with Benarie about adding this feature into the build...looks a touch fiddly but would be great to make this happen!
barison82 wrote:
Venkman's Swagger wrote:No worries buddy. Hahaha I know that feeling......... 99p I grabbed mine for lol.

That's what I got mine for lolzzz...Thanks dude, very encouraging words...I have been at the preparation stage for nearly a year now, lucky I got on the waiting list at Benofkent Props when I did as they are fully booked this year and next!

I've also just been looking at Julz's & Pyhasanon's build threads again, in particular, the part where a vintage flash bulb is incorporated into the wand tip; I've just bought a box of them and I'm having a discussion with Benarie about adding this feature into the build...looks a touch fiddly but would be great to make this happen!
Haha good lad. Yeah I've seen BoKP are crazy busy which is awesome. Shame they don't have an online store because from what I've seen they make some fantastic stuff.

Great minds think alike. I'm actually watching some vintage flash bulbs myself for when I start on my Thrower. If you don't want to use the flash bulbs (as they were meant to be used) Thebigone's build uses a Spongeface expansion with a flash bulb glued to it. Looks fantastic and is probably the route I will go. Check it out!!
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Haha good lad. Yeah I've seen BoKP are crazy busy which is awesome. Shame they don't have an online store because from what I've seen they make some fantastic stuff.

Great minds think alike. I'm actually watching some vintage flash bulbs myself for when I start on my Thrower. If you don't want to use the flash bulbs (as they were meant to be used) Thebigone's build uses a Spongeface expansion with a flash bulb glued to it. Looks fantastic and is probably the route I will go. Check it out!!

Yeah it's great to see how busy they are with work and they are so creative - an online store would be great!

Interesting...The Spongeface expansion kit sounds cool, I'll have a look at that now, cheers :) Yeah I just want to use the outer shell of the bulb as the cover for the LED in the tip, as with the other builds I've seen, so it gives that authentic look
barison82 wrote:
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Haha good lad. Yeah I've seen BoKP are crazy busy which is awesome. Shame they don't have an online store because from what I've seen they make some fantastic stuff.

Yeah it's great to see how busy they are with work and they are so creative - an online store would be great!

Interesting...The Spongeface expansion kit sounds cool, I'll have a look at that now, cheers :) Yeah I just want to use the outer shell of the bulb as the cover for the LED in the tip, as with the other builds I've seen, so it gives that authentic look
I deffo think the expansion is the way to go mate. Sure BoKP will be able to pull it off for you
Venkman's Swagger wrote:I deffo think the expansion is the way to go mate. Sure BoKP will be able to pull it off for you
I am looking into it right now! Cheers...btw, another question lol. What size/length screw is needed for the Crank Knob, and is a washer/nut needed as well? I am using a real one. On that subject, I have tracked down a parts supplier who appears to have 60 of the grey ones in stock, I'm waiting for a quote...they'll probably be ridiculously expensive though!
Nice one mate, you're welcome. I can't help with the screw question as I'm using a resin replica so I can use it as my volume control. I'll be using a potentiometer to attach the knob. You'll have to let me know how much they quote you dude, be interested to see if it's within my budget
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Nice one mate, you're welcome. I can't help with the screw question as I'm using a resin replica so I can use it as my volume control. I'll be using a potentiometer to attach the knob. You'll have to let me know how much they quote you dude, be interested to see if it's within my budget
Cheers! No worries mate - I'll check with Benarie as I'm sure they'll provide the screw anyway...I'll defo let you know, if there was enough interest from other members too it might be worth going ahead with it. We'll see!
barison82 wrote:
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Nice one mate, you're welcome. I can't help with the screw question as I'm using a resin replica so I can use it as my volume control. I'll be using a potentiometer to attach the knob. You'll have to let me know how much they quote you dude, be interested to see if it's within my budget
Cheers! No worries mate - I'll check with Benarie as I'm sure they'll provide the screw anyway...I'll defo let you know, if there was enough interest from other members too it might be worth going ahead with it. We'll see!
I'm pretty confident there would be plenty of interest in them mate. The black ones that AJ sourced for the shop here sold out in no time at all
Venkman's Swagger wrote:
barison82 wrote:
I'm pretty confident there would be plenty of interest in them mate. The black ones that AJ sourced for the shop here sold out in no time at all
I would definitely be interested in that. Been painting screws black for this build and had to settle for "close enough" a little more than I wanted.
I don't have a heatgun, would a hair dryer be usable to make the twist? Otherwise I'll try to see if any I know could have a heat gun available.
Morfeusoneiros wrote:
Venkman's Swagger wrote: I'm pretty confident there would be plenty of interest in them mate. The black ones that AJ sourced for the shop here sold out in no time at all
I would definitely be interested in that. Been painting screws black for this build and had to settle for "close enough" a little more than I wanted.
I don't have a heatgun, would a hair dryer be usable to make the twist? Otherwise I'll try to see if any I know could have a heat gun available.
You could always try it. I'm not sure if a hair dryer would give off enough heat. Heat guns are relatively inexpensive so may be worth grabbing one
Venkman's Swagger wrote:
Morfeusoneiros wrote: I would definitely be interested in that. Been painting screws black for this build and had to settle for "close enough" a little more than I wanted.
You could always try it. I'm not sure if a hair dryer would give off enough heat. Heat guns are relatively inexpensive so may be worth grabbing one
I've been looking for an excuse to get one. Guess I just found it [emoji1]

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]