After collection parts I'm finally ready to start my build.
I'm trying to keep to a budget, so it'll be a slow and steady one.

Image Alice frame from GBfans.
Image Shell from Studio Creations.
Image Complete pack electronics from GBfans. (Man, how awesome it was the first time I tried it all out. What a rush to "fire" my proton gun. Still get a good chill down my spine just thinking about it [emoji4] [emoji317])
ImageImageImage
I've started some minor work on the pack, but those pictures looked awful. I'll take some new ones and add them in a new post.
Started on the plates for the synchronous generator (isn't that what it's called?)

Image Used a cutting board for plates.

More to come. YES, I'm finally getting my own, selfbuilt pack!
Last edited by Morfeusoneiros on September 28th, 2017, 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Smeghead liked this
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Great to see you start this build mate. Good luck. Got some nice parts there to knock this out of the park
Thanks.
Got some great parts from Crix as well.
Post pictures tomorrow.
Had the car in twice for repairs, but now I'm finally ready for the pack.
Those are some super clean casts there. Crix nailed them!

I will never forget the first time I hooked the GBFans electronics up like you have there. I played with it for an hour solid and could have gone on all day.
Venkman's Swagger wrote:I will never forget the first time I hooked the GBFans electronics up like you have there. I played with it for an hour solid and could have gone on all day.
Yeah, my son and I had a blast with it today.

A question to all pack builders: I'm putting in a battery similar to the one from GBfans, and I it has an on/off switch.
Do people just leave it turned on inside the shell or cut a hole to get to the switch without taking the shell off of the motherboard?
The work I've done on the pack so far:
ImageImageImage
Removed the extra webbing left by the plastic molding.

Sanded down the entire shell and washed it with a moist cloth.

Mended the cracks and hole after removal of webbing.

Next to the powercell I went a little bit overboard with my Dremel. I fixed the hole using aluminium plating for car bumpers. I'll sand everything down when I've fiberglassed the inside.
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Don't sweat the overzealous Dremel mate. All adds to the dings to make things look more authentic. Looking like a great start man
Sounds like a good way to view it [emoji6] Thanks [emoji106]
Went to my first con in uniform yesterday. Just a rush with all the thumbs up, pictures and conversations. We even got interviewed by some local newspapers. The love for Ghostbusters is still very much alive in the general public, of all ages (atleast the crowd attending cons [emoji4] ).
ImageSpent most of the day like this, posing for pictures.
Even got some great inspiration for the rest of my build: Image
A great day at Desucon Pop in Oslo [emoji317] [emoji4]
rayp_Stantz wrote:Great.

And nice parts for your build. looking forward to this build. :sigh:
Thanks.
I'm following your build with quite an interest as well. As I've said before I really love the look of your wooden parts!
Venkman's Swagger wrote:More awesome parts. Hope your kid gets well soon
Thank you for that. The youngest is better but my seven year old have gotten a massive cold. When it rains, IT pours... [emoji45]
Really happy with the parts, the GBfans shop is a real treasure trove for builders.
Morfeusoneiros wrote:
Venkman's Swagger wrote:More awesome parts. Hope your kid gets well soon
Thank you for that. The youngest is better but my seven year old have gotten a massive cold. When it rains, IT pours... [emoji45]
Really happy with the parts, the GBfans shop is a real treasure trove for builders.
Ah not good man, hope your 7 year old gets better soon . The shop is amazing. AJ has done an awesome job
Venkman's Swagger wrote: Ah not good man, hope your 7 year old gets better soon . The shop is amazing. AJ has done an awesome job
Crossing my fingers. It seldom last more than a couple of days.
The shop is awesome indeed, and great customer service as well [GHOST]
MovieSean wrote:Hey man one quick thing I learned from doing my fiances SC pack. Sand/wash the inside also! When I tried to glass the inside the FG ended up almost lifting off the pack and i realized but it was too late.
Great input! I haven't sanded the inside, so that is now first on my to do list. Thanks for the heads-up!
Finally got some work done again. After MovieSean's heads-up I sanded and washed the inside of the shell to prep for fiberglassing.
I picked up a fiberglass repair kit that I'll use tomorrow when the wife and kids are at work, kindergarten and school.
I've been looking a lot on the SC builds here and liked Riggs' solution with bolts to add the two parts.
I decided for these screws, washers and nuts the last time I was at the hardware store.
Image I would have chosen some other screws if I've noticed that they had an uneven backside, but I hope an extra washer will make up for that mistake

I've been re-reading Deadpool complete collection vol. 1, and behold:

It worked as a perfect level for my shell
(Must be karma since DP and GB share the same shelf)Image

I used clamps and took my time to make sure I got it right before I screwed it together. I might get a scaulding for not being accurate, and not knowing enough about the pack but I've noticed that the vacuum line on the spacer somewhat lines up with the third rib on the gearbox (atleast on some of the referance photos I've been looking at)

So I used that as a basis for lining up my two shell parts

Carefully drilled the holes, starting smaller than the screws and working my way up Image

Ended up with this:
I'm ok with how it turned out.
A little epoxy putty along the seam and it's ready to go [emoji317]
Today I made the frame sturdier. It pivoted a little by the top screw, so I added one more
That was just the ticket and it felt more rigid right away.
Started to prep for fiberglassing by heating up my garage (only 2 degrees celsius) and cutting the matt into proton pack sizes.
Soon realized that the kit wasn't enough for the entire shell... Just the lower part.
Image Want fiberglass on the entire shell, so I decided to wait until I had enough of the fiberglass matt. Atleast it is ready for fiberglassing tomorrow (feel I've heard that one before....[emoji45] [emoji23])

Wanted the shell even more sturdy. Decided to add some plates to the inside. Measured it and got my Dremel out Image
The parts had a perfect fit by themselves
ImageImageImageImage
Did the noob mistake of measuring without thinking about the bottom plate making the sides higher...
So I had to trim a little bit of each of the sideplates before gluing them to the shell
Image I had not any clamps that fit over the side of the shell, but laying it on top worked aswell [emoji4]
Image The same with some more unorthodox "clamps".
Used this glue Image
And I'm happy with how it all worked out. Much more sturdy shell, with a little added weight also.

Btw: anybody know the correct screws for the Proton pack in mm and not inches? Tried the hardware store today and they couldn't help me with 1/4 - 20 etc.. They needed the sizes in mm..
Last edited by Morfeusoneiros on February 26th, 2016, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TENIME_art wrote:Do you have a smart phone? I would just pull up Google and use the inches to mm conversion:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... %20to%20mm
Just lazy, hehe [emoji4] Yeah, I googlet it and found a great convertion site eventually.
If anybody wonders:
1/4 - 20 is M6x1 (socket cap screw -shell to mobo, HGA)
10 - 32 is M5x.07 (s.c.s. - booster frame, ion arm end cap, bumper)
8 - 32 is M4x.07 (s.c.s. - ribbon cable clamp, clippard 331)
4-40 is M3x.05 (s.c.s. - resistors on ion arm)

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London