By chevelle99x
Does anyone know who makes good already drilled L-brackets for mounting the gbfans shell to the motherboard ? I got some off ebay and drilled my self, very difficult to line up. Just wondering if there are some premade ones available .

thanks guys
By fifth_beatle
I thought the same way originally. But the best way to attach your pack is to buy some blank L brackets. Mount them on the mobo first by drilling holes and using a rivet gun, or alternatively, machine screws that are 1/2 inch or smaller. Then slide the pack down, and drill a small hole through the side into the L brackets. Then, increase the size of the drill bit until you can use a drill tap with same sized screws. You only need to tap the brackets by this point, not the pack. Once done, you should have a pack that fits pretty snug to your mobo.
By TENIME_art
fifth_beatle wrote:But the best way to attach your pack is to buy some blank L brackets.
I couldn't find them anywhere. Home Depot doesn't carry them. Menard's doesn't carry them. Lowes doesn't carry them.

The best I could find was a 3 foot long aluminum angled piece, but all of the stores told me they had no way to cut it down for me, and my friend who's helping me build my pack (since I don't have the tools necessary) doesn't either.

I'm currently waiting on an invoice from EJGunth so I can buy his.
By zeta otaku
If you have a hand grinder, pick up a cutting wheel. Also, any Lowe's or Home Depot can cut it down. What you encountered was a lazy employee
By chevelle99x
yeah,, I got some L brackets on ebay and I just spent a couple days drilling a taping them at my bikeshop in a vice and just got them riveted on tonight took over a hour. Its the hardest part building a pack I think with having to line everything up just right.
By Darkstarlegend
I just used corner brackets. They come predrilled with holes. Not quite as thick as I would have wanted, but they should hold just fine. Most of the weight will be on the motherboard itself. Its an option :) Now comes the fun part of lining up the holes....lol
By whiterice07
When I built my pack, I used a piece of 2" angle aluminum and used a hacksaw to cut it down - it worked really well for me.

Picture 1 shows the brackets after being cut and the edges sanded down.

Picture 2 shows the 4 brackets mounted to the shell.

Picture 3 shows the motherboard mounted together. (the windows are because this was built to house a computer...I can post more pictures of that later, if requested)

As far as actually mounting the brackets; I knew where the holes needed to be in the shell, so I started by making those holes. Then I held the bracket in place and marked where the hole lined up on the bracket, and drilled that hole next. Then I used the bolt and nut to hold the bracket in place, laid the motherboard on top, and drilled my mounting holes there. Because of the nature of my build (having a PC in it) I wanted the motherboard removable so I did not rivet mine in like most builders on the site; so to keep the nuts from spinning and allow me to tighten up the bolts, I glued the nuts in place on the brackets and then bolted it together.
By likesjellydonuts
Batfly wrote:Aluminum cuts easily with a hack saw.
And hack saws cost a whopping 10 bucks.

Honestly, you're spending more time and effort thinking about this, than you would if you just bought the angle piece, and cut it down. It will take you a half hour, at most, to get them all cut down.

Also, go to a car parts store, a decent one not an AutoZone, and get aluminum large flange rivets. Not only are they accurate, but they're a million times easier to set than the steel ones.
    Ray's Denim Jacket (GB1)

Jealous.

Weathering, because they won't stay new looking fo[…]

@Specter Mitcher - Either way, any proton pack wou[…]

Positron Props GB1 Pack Build

Nice! That's awesome! I like how lately, he has be[…]