I have not been too active lately since I transitioned recently from being a Stay-At-Home daddy to becoming a Adult-Who-Has-A-Job. But that does not mean I haven't been thinking about things! For a long time I have wanted to make a resin kit of parts for SC packs But, to do it I needed to be in build mode actually building a pack. Then I was commissioned to build two SC packs at the same time! So as this will be a perfect opportunity to work out how my kit will work and use it to build these two packs.

These packs will be pretty standard to the SC packs I have built in the past and now currently wear myself -

The guys have Matty wands so I will be using GBfans pack lights and Spongefaces boards and 3D printed couplers. Hardware and hoses comes from my friend and ebay seller order_thru_the_phoenix .

More to come!
So the first part of the kit is almost done, The Booster Tube and that fakakta angle you have to cut. I have been thinking of how to make this part easier for builders. Here is what I came up with. If it works (and I think it will) then you will only have to cut a 6 1/2" tube with straight cuts to make this part.

More to come!
pseadynamo liked this
Alan Hawkins wrote:So the first part of the kit is almost done, The Booster Tube and that fakakta angle you have to cut. I have been thinking of how to make this part easier for builders. Here is what I came up with. If it works (and I think it will) then you will only have to cut a 6 1/2" tube with straight cuts to make this part.

More to come!
This is interesting. Great idea for sure. Straight cuts you say?
Yep. I'll cast the bottom and the plug in resin, then the builder just has to glue or epoxy the parts together, maybe a little sanding and DONE!

My goal is to make a minimal kit that a beginner could afford and easily assemble. My target price is the same as what the shell costs ($85) I hope to be able to include a bumper in that price, but the reality of how much it's going to cost to cast the bumper I made to fit the SC shell might not let that happen.

We'll see. For now I'm trying to get this going so I can use the kits on these two builds.
PssdffJay wrote:This is a great idea! I like what booster tube angle piece. With 3D printers being more common, I'd love to see a a proper sized bumper for the SC shell.
I've already made one ;) it's not 3D printed, but it's the right size for a SC pack.
Nice! I just figured 3D was an easy medium if you hadn't already scratch built it. I was talking to a member last night and if these resin part kits do happen, I think we would be in for 3. Especially if you do cast that nice bumper.
PssdffJay wrote:Nice! I just figured 3D was an easy medium if you hadn't already scratch built it. I was talking to a member last night and if these resin part kits do happen, I think we would be in for 3. Especially if you do cast that nice bumper.
My plan is to cast it. I want to get the kit fleshed out first.
Alan Hawkins wrote:
PssdffJay wrote:Nice! I just figured 3D was an easy medium if you hadn't already scratch built it. I was talking to a member last night and if these resin part kits do happen, I think we would be in for 3. Especially if you do cast that nice bumper.
My plan is to cast it. I want to get the kit fleshed out first.
Do you have a time frame for when you'll start to sell parts? I still need to make an N-Filter for my SC build, but waiting for your resin parts is more tempting. Your parts look great, but I must weight in my deadline (June 24th) for my entire pack to be complete. Have a few cons before that, but I want to make sure my pack is as good as possible :)
"My goal is to make a minimal kit that a beginner could afford and easily assemble" I think you have a great idea started here. I did a fiberglass build last year and my wife almost killed me over the cost. I even tried cutting as many corners as I could. I have a SC shell siting in my garage waiting for your kit to be done.
robandliv wrote:I have a SC shell siting in my garage waiting for your kit to be done.
It's going to be awhile. ;)

My first goal is to make the kit so I can build these two packs for the Busters that paid for them. Then I'll figure out cost and do a run. Having a job has cut into my building time a LOT! so the weekends will be my main build days.

Next up is -

Booster Ladder
N-Filter

Figuring out how I want to do my Ion Arm is a problem. I will probably go the solid route, but I would like it to be hollow so it's not too heavy. We'll see.
I've thought of that, as it's one of the heavier on mine.

What if you built it in separate pieces? Back, angled side, top & bottom all one piece, with the flat side & front being added on by the builder after attaching the back piece securely to the shell?

(You can see where I started to draw on the other side, lol)
Actually, my idea is not far from that but built as two L-angles that fit together like a snap model.

Today was building a Booster frame ladder -

Next up is finishing work. I can only work on this during the weekends. So it is slower going than I am used to.
alphabeta001 liked this

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]