I have started this thread mainly because I'm keen to give brief details on how I managed to install decent sounds into my proton pack without the GBFans soundboard which (at the time of writing) is unavailable. More on that later while I talk about some of the other features.

I started the research for the build on the proton pack months ago, by looking at the parts identification list in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39698

Although there is a fantastic list of parts there, I was keen to keep the price as low as possible, while still maintaining a decent level of accuracy. I did stroll off the path quite a lot, but I think my ALMOST finished project bares enough of a resemblance to the reboot packs as I'd require. The one part I did splash out on was the Gun Box, which was of course by the amazingly talented Jason Murphy. I could not recommend this gun box enough.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=41045&p=4857813&hi ... y#p4857813

Another notable part, is the front grill heat sync thingymajig, which was my own design, and is available at Shapeways here:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/4FGKP ... d=59435044

Now, with new electronic light animations in the pack, I had to start completely from scratch. There is currently no kit available for this pack, although I will consider commissions if anyone is interested. My parts list for the sounds and electronics is as follows.
Arduino Uno
24 pixel Adafruit Neopixel ring for the syncotron lights, although I'm keen to upgrade to the 60 pixel ring
A lot of LED's
Voltmeter display for the lower display (keeps an eye on battery discharge for me)
Aafruit Audio FX Mini soundboard with 16mb memory
Adafruit 20w class D amplifier
A 5v portable mobile phone charger (to power Arduino)
14v Black power Brick with 10,000 mah life to power the amplifier
ED205 Edge - Fli - Vibe 5" Co-Axial 4 Way Speakers rated at 50w each

After spending about a month writing the code for the Arduino, to get the LED's and neopixels to animate as I wanted them to (depending on which switch was pressed), it was time to include the sounds. Now when people buy the soundboards it's easy to overlook the fact that it is doing so much without you even realising it. For example, when you press the fire button, it makes the proton stream sound, and this loops until you release. When you release the fire button, it then plays another sound, which is the proton stream powering down.

Due to the fact a button release command was required to make the thrower power down sound, I figured I'd need to program the arduino to control the sounds, by making pins high and low where necessary. For anyone that understands arduino, it may be obvious that it runs on a loop (void_loop), so every action repeats over and over again. This had to be taken into consideration when trying to get the proton gun power down sound, and not repeat the power down sound over and over again. It was an absolute nightmare I can assure you, but eventually it came through.

The only sounds I have not included at this point, are the overheat warning, and the vent sound, but it's very much because I'm being lazy. <--- That is the only excuse.

I'm happy with where the sounds are now, pushing about 20w out per speaker... it's VERY VERY LOUD!!!!!!

I learned a lot while building this project, but my proudest achievement was figuring out how to force the arduino uno to break out of a sound loop.

Before the sounds were installed, i also used the packs at London MCM, where we hung out with loads of other Ghostbusters, and made a video passing the torch from the original Ghostbusters, to the Reboot Ghostbusters, which was shared by Paul Feig on Twitter.

To see the "Passing of The Torch" video, navigate to here:
(Also, Follow Angela While you're in there, she's an awesome Ghosthead)
https://twitter.com/Angels_Ackiz/status ... 3736331264

In the next video, you may notice that when the power switch is pressed, it makes a really cool steampunk powering up kind of sound. I absolutely adore this sound, and I'm using it with permission from Nathan Stevic who created the file. If you wish to use it, please find him on Facebook. It is completely custom and offers me the opportunity to have a main master switch power up sound, and a thrower switch power up sound as seen in the video.

In the video, you'll notice a few bugs with the switches, but all bugs have been ironed out now, and I'm just waiting to upload a new video. I also demonstrate a switch which turns the standard Red lights to green. This will be updated to incorporate all colours in the future. I'd like to have it display any colour I want :)

We have also been invited to do a promotional Ghostbusters meet and greet at the local Odeon for the premier of the new movie. As a thanks for that, the management at the odeon gave us this MASSIVE banner. It's literally too big to fit in my house. The image doesn't really show it, but I estimate it to be around 8 foot tall.

So here's some pictures n stuff:

3 meter x 30cm cable tray from ebay. £20 is enough for 4 motherboards.

A picnic food cover for the outer syncotron mesh

Random comparison photo using a speaker grille as the heat sync. Guage is made from deodorant lid and a print out of the correct guage screen.

Although the image shows an arduino mega, I did settle for the Arduino Uno. Plus 24 Pixel Adafruit Neopixel ring

Fruit bowl for the inner syncotron cage. And here is a link:
http://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/non- ... ket-284823

Of course, Jason Murphy's fabulous Gun Box

Yep we bought two of them, for both of our packs:

Let there be light, syncotron Neopixels installed, and thrower LED's still on breadboard during testing. You can also see the voltmeter keeping an eye on my battery.

SO MANY CABLES!!!!!!!

More tweaking of the Arduino code

Gluing some stuff

THE MESS!!!!!

Get one from https://www.shapeways.com/product/4FGKP ... d=59435044

Adafruit Audio FX soundboard, Adafruit 20w class D amplifier, and a test speaker.

Don't they look pretty?

United we stand!!!!!!!

Yours truly ;)

Facebook.com/CaptivatingCostumes
Last edited by MagicDanielle on July 8th, 2016, 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
zeta otaku, twmedford23, Mr_Stay_Puft and 7 others liked this
I think these packs look awesome too! I am also working on a lower budget back and had a couple quick questions:

-What size green voltmeter did you use? Do you have a link?
-What parts did you use to make the piece that holds your voltmeter? I've been searching the forums and don't see a lot of info on that part.
-Any tips on where you got your fruit bowl as the supports for the cage?

ANy help would be much appreciated and awesome job again!!
godspeed13 liked this
Not sure of the size of volt meter, i just used whichever one was available on eBay.

The box that holds the volt meter is just a strange shaped box i found in Maplin in the UK. Its not accurate but it had a nice shape so i used it :)

The fruit bowl is from B&M in the UK.

The cable tray is on eBay. I don't have a link right now. Its 30cm by 3m cable tray (£20). Bought in the UK. You can also search google though.
ddrusa111 liked this
These are wicked! I'm coming closer to trying to build one of these, being in the UK sometimes makes these builds tougher, but I'm please to see you type "The fruit bowl is from B&M in the UK." Looks like I'm off to B&M - The Mrs WILL be pleased! (Although I may have to sell one of my 3 other GB packs first before she guts me like a pig for building more!!)

Great work MagicDanielle, I've enjoyed looking through the pics! :love::D
Yay , well done ddrusa :)

Scruffyhightops i used a cheap ass orange day sack. Think it was about £5 off eBay. I just picked the cheapest one i could find, with orange straps. Which arent actually visible in any of the photos.

PattyTolen I don't remember now but im pretty sure its power, gnd and data. Be sure to use data IN and not data out. The pins are labeled on the pixel ring.

The data cable is just hooked up to the desired pin on the aeduino. I think mine is pin 6.
PattyTolen liked this
Very cool! I like the Neopixel color change and that screen cage+bowl you sourced the parts for. The digital readouts look great but what really REALLY takes the cake is that mechanized rotary start-up sound!
I watched your youtube demo a dozen times through and love that first 10 seconds.

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]