By Naptime
canpara wrote:Incredible work, as always. I'm amazed!

When did you meet Jay? You know I'm only three hours north...
Thanks for the kind words! How's your build coming along? I met Jay a few years back while I was doing a show in Edmonton. He was up with his crew attending the Edmonton Expo. Before then, we were just conversing online via the forum.

That last picture was actually taken this past Saturday in Vancouver. I was in town briefly for a CBC event and Jay was in town so we met up for dinner! It's awesome meeting up with fellow Ghostheads. One day I hope to meet you too!
By Naptime
Venkman's Swagger wrote:You're nailing this man. It's a beauty to behold
Thanks, brother! That means a lot to me, hearing it from you!

Next up: cutting into my precious shell to mount the N-filter!!!

This part was the most nerve wracking of all - mostly because if I screwed it up, there wouldn't be an easy fix and I would've ruined my shell. Luckily for me, there's a genius builder by the name of GrimmyGB who did the exact same thing and was kind enough to post his steps in the forum.

Here's where I took measurements a bit more seriously. The N-filter from RJ needed to fit precisely on my shell otherwise it would've looked... off. Plus, with the diameter of the n-filter there was going to be a slight overhang off the base of the cyclotron that I wanted to minimize as much as possible.

So, stealing shamelessly from GrimmyGB's build thread, I set out!

Using his measurements, and my digital calipers (finally!) I marked the precise location of the placement of the N-filter.

Then it was dremel time! Grimmy has a beautifully articulated description of his steps. I will just lazily let my photos speak for themselves.

With the N-filter in place:

Now that the shell was cut to receive the N-filter, I held off on actually attaching it to the shell because I didn't want it to get in the way while I attached other parts to the shell. When I finally did attach it, I used JB welding stick to bond the N-filter to the inside of the shell and apoxie sculpt to fill in the seam between the shell and filter on the outside. For some reason, I can't seem to find any pictures of it...

Next up, the booster frame!!! This is Nickatron's awesome work.

This was as straightforward as can be. Using visual references from so many sources, I placed it where it looked right to me. Marked the holes along the centre line:

Drilled and tapped the holes:

Mounted!

By PssdffJay
It's about time you stopped taking a nap with your updates! ;)

That shell is a beauty! I'd be so scared to be cutting that hole for the NFilter, but you handled it like a pro! It's crazy how quickly it can all come together once you have all the parts.

Ok, more photos please!!
canpara liked this
By barison82
Naptime wrote:Thank you so much for the kind words of support! Apologies for the lateness of this reply, after the Halloween rush it was hard to find time to post on this build thread (just ask PssdffJay!).

I've been following a couple of your builds in progress, too! Looking forward to seeing your trap and pack from Benofkent!
Hi Naptime, you're very welcome and no worries at all! I've just seen the latest bunch of updates here and I'm speechless - such thorough detail in each step and very tidy work, your pack is coming together beautifully [emoji4][emoji106]That N-Filter installation was very impressive as well, that part looks like it can be tricky to install.

Thanks for following me - Yes Benofkent is putting my pack together, however I am attempting the GB1 trap build myself...[emoji6]

Look forward to further updates on your build, it's gonna be an awesome pack in the end!
Best of luck. Pchrisbosh1 shells are one of the best! You won't be sorry :)
By Naptime
canpara wrote:Holy, you nailed that N-Filter. Most impressive.
Thanks, Mario! Scariest part of my build! How's your pack coming?
PssdffJay wrote:It's about time you stopped taking a nap with your updates! ;)

That shell is a beauty! I'd be so scared to be cutting that hole for the NFilter, but you handled it like a pro! It's crazy how quickly it can all come together once you have all the parts.

Ok, more photos please!!
Jay, the speed in which I was able to assemble the pack once I got the parts was scary fast! Made me feel like I was doing something wrong. Which I probably was. Nuts. :P I was actually racing against mother nature because it was getting colder out and my window of opportunity to paint was dwindling rapidly! More on that later...
barison82 wrote:
Naptime wrote:Thank you so much for the kind words of support! Apologies for the lateness of this reply, after the Halloween rush it was hard to find time to post on this build thread (just ask PssdffJay!).

I've been following a couple of your builds in progress, too! Looking forward to seeing your trap and pack from Benofkent!
Hi Naptime, you're very welcome and no worries at all! I've just seen the latest bunch of updates here and I'm speechless - such thorough detail in each step and very tidy work, your pack is coming together beautifully [emoji4][emoji106]That N-Filter installation was very impressive as well, that part looks like it can be tricky to install.

Thanks for following me - Yes Benofkent is putting my pack together, however I am attempting the GB1 trap build myself...[emoji6]

Look forward to further updates on your build, it's gonna be an awesome pack in the end!
Thanks for following me back! And yes, I knew you were building the GB1 trap yourself - apologies if I made it sound like Benofkent was building both (poor writing on my part!). I'm in awe of your scrounging and sourcing abilities! Love how you've been meticulously collecting screen accurate and vintage parts. I'm eagerly awaiting updates on your builds!
GohstTarp wrote:Every update is better than the last, Naptime! There is nothing like that feeling when two parts perfectly fit together like your Injector Tube bracket and the bottom of your Filler Plug... a sign you are on the right path! Looking forward to seeing more.
Thank you! You're absolutely spot on with your description of pieces fitting together! I'm still deeply impressed (and envious) of how clean your layout of electronics is for your pack. You'll see the hodge podge that is the interior of mine soon enough!
OCP_Model-001 wrote:Dang it, nice work NT. The scan template idea is genius, very nice ;)
I cannot take credit for that. I'm sure I stole it from another genius's build. But thanks for the kind words! It did make it easier to mark and drill holes (once I figured out I had to flip the templates upside down)! And your aluminum trap build is INSANE! ps I hate you! ;)
csullivan1980 wrote:Best of luck. Pchrisbosh1 shells are one of the best! You won't be sorry :)
I consider myself quite fortunate to have snagged what I think may be the last shell Pchrisbosh1 has sold. I hear he's not producing them anymore! I'm just glad I didn't muck it all up.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: I'm utterly astounded by how friendly, helpful and supportive this community is! I hope to meet all of you one day and bust some serious ghosts!

More updates after the jump!
OCP_Model-001 liked this
Awesome build thread. Very precise and detailed.
Naptime liked this
By canpara
Naptime wrote:
canpara wrote:Holy, you nailed that N-Filter. Most impressive.
Thanks, Mario! Scariest part of my build! How's your pack coming?
Thanks for asking!

My build took a back seat to finishing a certification program for work (involving a presentation, an exam and then an interview). I have been working on that certification for the past two years. I also had to focus my efforts on my book manuscript that I will be publishing very soon.

Priorities, right?

I haven't forgotten about my pack, though. I'm still working on the paint job on the shell and I have recently purchased sintra to build shelves for the electronics. I also picked up a Bluetooth dongle and a ground isolator during the Black Friday sales.

I just finished my interview today, so I should be back on my horse soon enough.
Naptime liked this
By barison82
Thanks a lot Naptime, and no worries at all [emoji4][emoji106] Hopefully I can put the trap together as well as the way you're building your pack! Yes I have put a lot of effort into finding the correct parts - it's become part of the 'fun' in this hobby, but it's one of those things that you can't really explain to an outsider, without getting funny looks or being thought of as clinically insane lol!
Naptime liked this
By Naptime
So many updates! After a mad scramble last year, I’ve since finished the pack but have failed to update this thread. I’m currently in the midst of a stormtrooper build for my youngest so time is at a premium right now. I’ll post a few pics in the meantime to tide you over!
twmedford23 liked this
Awesome! Can't wait to see how this turned out!!!
Naptime wrote:So many updates! After a mad scramble last year, I’ve since finished the pack but have failed to update this thread. I’m currently in the midst of a stormtrooper build for my youngest so time is at a premium right now. I’ll post a few pics in the meantime to tide you over!
Hey Nap...chatting with you on FB sparked looking back at your meticulous builds. Bro...with everything you do and do perfectly, you should drop that tv show and do this professionally :P
BTW...I love your character!
By canpara
Grimmy GB wrote: August 9th, 2018, 11:02 am Hey Nap...chatting with you on FB sparked looking back at your meticulous builds. Bro...with everything you do and do perfectly, you should drop that tv show and do this professionally :P
BTW...I love your character!
I agree with the quality of your work, but please don't drop Kim's. Appa rules. I'm looking forward to seeing you on Canada's Smartest Person Junior as well!

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]