By Gozerhead
I am building a cardboard pack and am to the point where I have to plan to resin/fiberglass. My understanding is I use a resin on the exterior, which should dry fairly smooth (?), and then coat the interior with something different to make it fiberglass?

Clearly this is all new to me. Thanks for any tips (especially as it pertains to doing it on the cheap).

Thanks!
By CPU64
The only problem you might encounter is if you're using corrugated cardboard, which will basically keep an air pocket between the resined outside, and the reinforced inside.
If using mat board type material, it works much better.
By vmax1974
I own a composites company so i do have a little experience with all this fibreglass and resin malarky

The trouble with resin is it goes on as a liquid so anything unsupported will sag as the resin soaks in (imagine a cardboard box in the rain)

Corrugated card is the best way to go coat the outside whilst the inside hols it all in shape but then coat the inside and let that cure before reinforcing it with some 450gsm chopped strand mat or whatever csm you can get then after all that give the outside a good coat using a plastic spreader to keep everything smooth

Hope that helps

Would be easier if you were in North east uk then i could have help properly
By Gozerhead
Thanks for the input. I am not entirely sure if my cardboard parts will work or not, then. I think my generator might need to be redone unless I reinforce it first...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42089

I plan on attaching everything directly to a motherboard, so I wonder if I could resin/fiberglass the interiors, glue to the motherboard, and then resin?
By Gozerhead
I had enough of my cardboard/posterboard shell to start with resin. I am really anxious about the fiberglass part, so I started just by doing the interior with resin. It is currently drying. I only did the top half of the pack and spacers to see who it goes.

This is strictly a stunt pack for something like Halloween. That being said...

1. If I resin the whole exterior what are the cons to not using fiberglass?

2. If I really should fiberglass, do I cover every inch of the interior, or just worry about reinforcing certain parts?

I bought some of the fiberglass Bondo sheets to cut to size, but I am really nervous to work with it. For the pack, after taping it, I hot glued the inside of the "shell" to reinforce the edges. I then used clear caulk to fill in the gaps on the exterior of the shell.

My daughter wants to be a GB for Halloween. I am hoping to get the shell done enough to paint black and attach to my motherboard to wear just the 31st. It doesn't need to be "done". So part of me was thinking to keep plugging along and maybe fiberglass later.

Thanks for the advice!
    Hasbro Ghostbusters

Both would be out of scale (Mattel too small, DST […]

Oh, another thing - this was made mostly out of sc[…]

Beautiful!! I'm getting this even if finances don[…]

Super helpful thanks. I will read properly when […]