I previously built two proton packs in tandem, which had a whole host of electronics and features, if you haven't seen them, please check out the feature video:

The problem with these, was the weight. Although they were only 7.5kg, this was a considerable amount to carry on our backs for 10 hours at a con. My GF and I really suffered, and are keen to reduce the weight as much as possible, thus inspiring V2. Along with the weight reduction, I was also keen to cram as much tech into the new packs as possible.

Features include:
Louder sound system
Plasma tube in the barrel
Extending barrel, on a motor controlled by gears
Rumble mechanism in the thrower
Blutooth hooked up to my Holtzmann Armband Unit to control ejection of proton pistols in pack LOOK HERE
Ejecting "proton pistols" in pack on servos
Lots of lights and stuff
Mostly 3D printed parts

I will be documenting the build over on my youtube channel. I've so far completed two videos, which go into a bit more depth on the above ideas. I'll also be posting the updates to this thread during the build.

Here's Part 1, which is an R&D video:

...and here's part 2 which discusses more of the 3D printed aspects:

Just Russ, MonaLS, OCP_Model-001 and 1 others liked this
Part 3 of my v2 proton pack build. This discusses the barrel extension mechanism. The packs in the movie don't actually feature a barrel extension of any kind, but I was keen to implement the plasma tube feature, while still maintaining the iconic look of the new throwers.

Is there enough space between the barrels to attach a LED stripe instead of a regular LED? It could give a nice redish glow. On the other hand it won't light vertically to the barrel, it only distracts the light. Anyway, as always can't wait for further updates. Good luck with your project, Danielle.
My wife just saw your videos and prompted me to ask you how much does the ready to install lights and sounds system just like your first V1 pack cost?

Can you build one for her? what would be the cost? you can PM me. cheers and amazing job!
HUGE UPDATE!!!

Well I've managed to get a TONNE done on my new pack. The screen animations are working now, and the sound effects correlate nicely with them. I'm really happy with the way this is turning out. Please let me know what you think.

Everything is running from multiple arduino boards and I've done all of the coding myself. If you enjoy, please consider subscribing.

jacklawyer liked this
maybe I missed this part, how are you heating this acrylic sheet in a way that when you bend it, it is not snapping?? I have not tried to heat/bend Plexiglas or sheets like this before, but was curious?
Travis Burrell wrote:maybe I missed this part, how are you heating this acrylic sheet in a way that when you bend it, it is not snapping?? I have not tried to heat/bend Plexiglas or sheets like this before, but was curious?
i'm so sorry for the slow reply, I have only just realised you messaged.

I have been using a heat gun, and bending it VERY VERY gently over the corner of a table. This can not be rushed, else you will get mega snaps.

I have this week commenced my most ambitious proje[…]

I haven't had Xbox Live for a while, but I'm consi[…]

I cut out the middleman and sprayed my pack and ba[…]

I'm hoping we'll see another set when the next F[…]