By BillShark84
And so it begins...Have been reading up quite a bit in the forums and have a good idea of how I need to start my first build. Starting off with the GBfans shell and motherboard which just came in the mail yesterday! Anyone try to link images from Google Photos? I'm assuming maybe that won't work? I'm not a forum frequent flyer... :P
Congratulations on starting your first build! You've got an invaluable wealth of information to draw upon here!

With regards to linking images, I still use tapatalk to post pics (still haven't been able to figure out how to do it using the regular forums on my laptop!).

Good luck, and have fun!!!
What kind of parts are you going to use on your shell? Resin? Aluminum? I'm still waiting for my aluminum parts to arrive from Freeky Geeky. It feels like foreeeeevvverrr.
Crix's parts look fantastic! You can always upgrade later on if you wanted to, but there are a lot of Ghostheads out there who have resin parts and are very happy. I was just lucky enough to have some extra work this summer that allowed me to go aluminum. Waiting is the hardest part, though! I'm kinda stalled out on my build until they come in, so I know how you feel! Got an ETA on your parts?
eBay is givin me an estimated date of the 16th. Shows it hasn't shipped yet though. I'm actually only 3 hrs from Denver so the shipping will be swift when it happens.
Thanks! I'm all excitered and stuff. Probably try to get my dry and wet sanding done today. Saw an interesting textured paint at the store called "hammered". Has anyone used this stuff for your textured areas? I thought it was pretty cool so I'm thinking about using it.Image
I tried it on my build. I'm not really sure if it did anything, but I did rush all my paint in 1 day to finish for an event. You can see photos in my build thread in my signature (if it's still there, it's been a long time since I logged in on an actual computer.) I bet if you took your time and over a few days tried to build up the layers it might. I just can't tell if the texture I have is what was in the pack originally or not.
If you want added texture, try using a base of Krylon "Make It Stone" Obsidian. You'll need to let it harden then sand it a bit, but it does a great job of adding surface detail.
Yay parts! Got more coming in from gbfans. These are the resin parts from Crix. iPad2 photos suck...Question. Is it best to drill, paint and then tap or drill and tap and then paint? I've got carbide tips and some taps coming as well.Image
Image done! Nice and snug fit. Drilling and tapping is for another day. Oh yeah, forgot to eat! That's what happens when you start on your proton pack right after work. You forget sustenance.
By Naptime
Looks great! I know what you mean about skipping food because you're so engrossed in your build! Quick question though: is there a reason for the bottom left rivet being reversed? That is, it looks like the head is on the inside part of the mobo.
Naptime wrote:Looks great! I know what you mean about skipping food because you're so engrossed in your build! Quick question though: is there a reason for the bottom left rivet being reversed? That is, it looks like the head is on the inside part of the mobo.
That's just my non conforming way of sticking it to the man! Actually that was my first rivet and I realized the grave mistake that I made. Can extract and re-rivet it. My first time riveting so I totally wasn't paying attention. :P
By Naptime
Hahaha! Perfect. Your rivets look great though. I'm going to practice with mine - I totally suck at it.
Luckily these ones only took two squeezes of the rivet gun. (Manual tool, not powered). Just have to make sure you fully cycle through the squeeze and full open positions.
Unrelated question, are those the Matty goggles in your pic, if so, do you like em? I saw some for good price and was thinking about getting a pair.
By Naptime
I've got a manual one too. Thanks for the tip. That's probably what I've been doing wrong! Love the look of your mobo. So shiny!
By Naptime
BillShark84 wrote:Unrelated question, are those the Matty goggles in your pic, if so, do you like em? I saw some for good price and was thinking about getting a pair.
Sorry, I missed that question! Those are actually a pair of *ahem* scratch built foam core goggles. Pretty snazzy, eh? You can check out my build thread through the link in my signature.

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]