By armysgt1
Hi guys I am wondering what the best way to dull my paint job a little would be. I used Rustoleum satin black and it is way too shiny. I really don't feel like spraying another coat of paint because I need to start reassembling everything to try and finish by Halloween. Maybe even throwing some type of powder on it might help. I don't have any fullers earth and don't know where to find it besides ebay which is cutting it pretty close at this point. Any suggestions? If someone has a close alternative to fullers earth that would also be great to weather it. Thanks guys.
By likesjellydonuts
You can put dust on it. Even baby powder for that matter. You could also use some steel wool on it and dull it down. But being honest, these are all lazy solutions, repainting it is really the right way to go
By PssdffJay
Do you have photos? I used satin black for my paint and I think it looks great. Flat black is too black in my opinion for a pack nice seen both side by side with another pack next to mine and I prefer the satin.
By EJLambert
You could try GENTLY rubbing steel wool over the paint.
By Demon Vice Commander
armysgt1 wrote:I am going to try spraying a very light coat tomorrow...
You want avoid letting the spray paint pool on the pack, as that will create shiny spots. Just lightly spray it from a few feet away, and take your time with it. You can also spray primer on the inside of the shell - if your shell is fiberglass, this will prevent light from shining through on some of the spots that are tricky to hit with spray paint.
By Lowberg
As everyone else said, try steel wool. Get #0000 grit, the finest. It may leave super tiny marks but it will definitely dull it down.
I've had the same issues with the Rustoleum satin, spray it too thick and it looks shiny.

Also, Demon Vice Commander! That bumper freakin looks so good. I wish I stuck with my gut and went with the volguus. The seam and stuff totally adds to the grittyness. Looks so legit!
By JoeLuna33
I use the Rustoleum Satin black myself for my builds. It seems to vary can to can. I've painted 2 packs in the last 2 weeks with 2 different cans of paint. One came out with a perfect satin finish the other is too shiny for my taste. Once it gets some dust on it it will dull down. Also after the paint 100% cures, which takes quite a while, it will dull down as well. If your paint hasn't cured for about 2 weeks I'd be careful doing any sanding as I've found that steel wool or sand paper on a fresh finish end up caking off and ruining the finish.
By armysgt1
So upon further inspection it seems like the non-textured parts are acceptable in my eyes. Too bad that's only about 10 percent of the shell. My shell was molded with texture already from Karniverous Creations. Would spraying a very light coat of the same paint cut down on the some of the gloss? I'm also not opposed to spraying a VERY light coat of the painters touch satin black or even flat black if that might help. It's just all that texture catching the light is way too much for my liking. Here's the paint I used.
By OCP_Model-001
Yeah your right, it's the heavy texture that's really bringing out the shine! Maybe a light coat of dullcote or something.. to take the edge off, that satin is indeed very shiny.
By bishopdonmiguel
Try a light coat of clear matte...

Rustoleum Clear Matte

If it's still too shiny, you'll need to buff it with steel wool, wipe it down and apply a coat of another less shiny paint.
noslliT liked this
By JoeLuna33
You can even spray the same Satin Black again but don't spray it directly on the shell. Let it fall on the shell as a mist and it will dull it down. It also won't take long to dry since it's just a mist.
By armysgt1
Yeah I hit it with about 4 extremely light coats and it was perfect except for one spot about 3 inches on the side of the cyclotron. I hit that with a few light sprays of flat primer and it's perfect. I'll post pics when it dries. Looks awesome now! Thanks guys!
By armysgt1
Alright guys, finally got time to post some pics. This is after the few very light coats of the same paint and some progress pics.
By armysgt1
Yeah I'm very extremely pleased with the pack so far. I'm sure a lot of others have sat back and said the same thing I did and that's "I can't believe I actually made that!" Now I know it didn't make it from scratch but still.... Maybe that will happen in the future. I still need to do a few things including adding the blue tubing on the ion arm. I tried heating the blue tubing I had yesterday with a heat gun to make it more pliable and it ended up bending and looking like crap so I threw it away and now I have no more blue tubing. The other thing is that I'm absolutely terrified to start weathering it. It just looks so beautiful to me! I actually put a nice coat of aluminum paint on before the black so it should be pretty easy to do. Anyways, thanks for the kind words guys. I will post more pics later on as I progress.
By Batfly
I think that's what I'm going to do with mine as well, natural weathering! Just more justification to wear it while shopping, family functions, dates, standing in line to vote, everywhere.

Also, sorry I can’t answer the question, but[…]

There's some fun dialogue TV-edits, a replacement[…]

Thanks The_Y33TER ! Confirmation there's no elect[…]

A little sneak preview of one of the bedrock parts[…]