I have always been amazed at what members here have been able to do with scratch builds. The level of detail and love that goes into them is nothing short of astonishing. I thought about it off and on for the last year or so of doing a semi-hero scratch build since that isn't something someone has done yet (at least, not shown it here on the forum). I scored a 55"x 96" (140cm x 244cm) sheet of .118" styrene from a local supplier for $20. Now this sheet normally costs upwards of $60, but it had been cut in half very poorly and has some scratches on it so they let me have it sheep. Cool! I had originally intended to use it for a different project, but then I got to thinking that I could totally scratch build a shell!

So that is my plan. GB2 semi-hero. Now... this is most likely going to take a LONG time, and there is probably going to be some significant lapses in updates as this is going to be very slow and methodical as I want this to be as perfect as I can get. I have been pouring over Batfly's and pchrisbosh1's scratch builds picking out the details and how they were able to make everything work. I am hoping to get started on the first parts on Tuesday after I get some college work done I need to get done... but not sure which part to start on. Power cell? Gun mount? Crank gen? Decisions, decision. I am going to be using a combination of Stephans plans, Sean's plans, and the photos and measurements from the Sony lobby visit.

Yes, I plan to mold and cast this eventually. I need to build a GB2 semi-hero to compliment my GB1 hero and a friend of mine wants to build a GB2 pack as well PLUS I am really interested in learning how to fiberglass and mold things using silicone and I cannot wait to get started! Stay tuned if you like, I hope to update this next week.
twmedford23 liked this
Demon Vice Commander wrote:
You might have a look at my thread in which I molded and cast my own shells: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33899
I have your build bookmarked ;-)
So question for the community. I think I am going to tackle the gun mount first on Tuesday. I know there has been debate on the actual size of the gun mount. Stefans plans show 4" at the back but I believe the Sony lobby has 4.5"? I am leaning toward going with 4.5" as Sean's plans also call for 4.5" but I just wanted to make sure those measurements were correct, and basically would Stefan's plans or Sean's plans be a more accurate way to go?
Totally forgot about those. Thanks!
twmedford23 liked this
So after about 2 hours or so, I have the basic box glued together for the gun mount (minus the mount extension). I must say, this is really intimidating and I had no idea Styrene was this difficult to work with (I don't really have any power tools, but a dremel and xacto knife to work with). Of course, I completely screwed up the first few bits of the gun mount and had the measurements completely off.

Went back and used the reference material I have to remeasure everything AND take into account the ⅛" thickness of the styrene to make the proper sized box. The box I have is SLIGHTLY skewed in one corner or another, but a good bit of sanding and some milliput (I think thats what has been used to smooth things out) and I think she'll look pretty good. I don't know if I will have an opportunity to work on this tomorrow, but we will see. Feedback is always appreciated.

So i have been out sick from work with strep for the past two days and wile yesterday I laid in bed all day, today i spent about 2 hours on the shell. Got a lot of the sanding and whatnot done on the power cell and got the fins installed. The gaps between my fins vary (which is an obvious f--- up on my part) by a few thousands of an inch per space. To the unsuspecting eye, they look fine, but to the pro its obvious. I needed to fill in some gaps with Apokxie sculpture so I need to wait for that to harden to blend in and sand the ribs. Otherwise I like how this is coming out.

twmedford23 liked this
Welp....

I scrapped the parts I had made. I was not happy with them at all. Things were off, they were off my up to an ⅛" on some measurements and I wanted this pack to be ACCURATE. So, I scrapped all the pieces I had made thus far.

STARTING OVER with the power cell first. I took the extra time as wrote all my measurements first (the night before) taking into account where I wanted the front, top, and bottom of the box to sit and took note of the .125" styrene to calculate the measurements of everything. Got to work this morning an got about 98% done the power cell this afternoon. It needs to be cleaned up, putty filled, and then finished, but I got it close and WAY more accurate this time around. Every measurement is what it should be and its actually square and level <<tear>>. I haven't scribed the window yet, but I'll get to that next.

twmedford23 liked this
Not to jump too far ahead, but when you get around to molding stage, are you going to mold/cast the shell as a regular Hero and then modify it into a semi-hero, or are you going for a production-accurate semi-hero with the cast-in booster tube, ion arm, etc.?
Demon Vice Commander wrote:Not to jump too far ahead, but when you get around to molding stage, are you going to mold/cast the shell as a regular Hero and then modify it into a semi-hero, or are you going for a production-accurate semi-hero with the cast-in booster tube, ion arm, etc.?
If that stage happens, I *want* to mold the ion arm, booster tube, and nfilter into the mold. I believe the ppd and booster frame were molded in as well (?), though I'm not sure if I will do that.
So tonight was daddy-daughter night as the wife went out with some friends, so once the munchkin was in bed, I was able to get some more work done of the pack. I sanded down all the apoxie sculpt from the power cell and rounded all the edges, so it is essentially done. I do want to hit it with some primer to see what I might have missed, but I am very happy with it. I then tackled the EDA. A few miss-cuts and some sanding plus a bunch of super glue and apoxie sculpt all over my fingers and 3 hours later I was finished for the night.

twmedford23 liked this
The large part of the EDA is about 99% done, I just need to finish sand most of the corners that still have some rough apoxie sculpt in there. I got to work on the angled portion of the EDA today. Actually went quicker than I anticipated and turned out pretty decently. Seems to fit right up on the bottom of the larger EDA, so as of right now I just need to fill in the gaps and edges with apoxie sculpt, cut the radius for the PPD, and cut out the circles that goes on the front of the EDA (Which reminds me... I need a compass). Slowly but surely folks. Slowly but surely.

twmedford23 liked this
SUBSCRIBED! Looking good so far!

To make life easier, I'd look into getting an angle square. Makes getting those corners lined up easy. Second, don't worry about a compass. I bought one just for making a pack and ended up using my measuring calipers instead. Just get the radius of the circle you need and score a circle into the plastic with the sharp ends of the calipers. It makes a nice track for the exacto blade to cut in as well.

Just like you found out, don't be afraid to scrap a piece and start over! That was the right call on the power cell. Isn't apoxie sculpt nice stuff? I love it!

What's really neat is you'll notice your skills increasing with every part finished. I could definitely tell which of my parts were the first ones before apoxie sculpt clean up compared to newer made parts.

Can't wait to see more! Great job so far!
Thank you! I am CONSTANTLY going back t your thread when I get stuck. After the power cell, I scrapped the top part of the EDA twice, but luckily the angled lower part I got on the first try. Ion Arm is next then the crank gen which I am really nervous about. Thanks for the feedback, I REALLY appreciate it.
No problem. The crank gen is an @$$! Just take your time with it. As you've found out, planning ahead and getting the dimensions sorted out first really helps. Good luck and looking forward too more!
Small progress, got the Ion Arm built over the last week. I took some advice from Batly and instead of cutting each individual piece out, I combined the measurements and cut out a chunk of styrene, then measured all the pieces off of that. Since the curf of the xacto blade is so thin, i can cut right up on the measured line. This worked out so much better than how I was doing it before. Just need to stand down the putty I used for a small gaps and add the weld the the edges and the ion arm is good as done... next up... Crank Gen :shock:

twmedford23 liked this
thebigone2087 wrote:Small progress, got the Ion Arm built over the last week. I took some advice from Batly and instead of cutting each individual piece out, I combined the measurements and cut out a chunk of styrene, then measured all the pieces off of that. Since the curf of the xacto blade is so thin, i can cut right up on the measured line. This worked out so much better than how I was doing it before. Just need to stand down the putty I used for a small gaps and add the weld the the edges and the ion arm is good as done... next up... Crank Gen :shock:

Ooh yeah, that's a nice looking ion arm!
thebigone2087 liked this
In the next few weeks I am finally going to get started on this again... I do want to ask though...

Would foam core be a good alternative to styrene in this build? I do plan on molding this and I am curious if the foam core would be too brittle to take the weight of the silicone.
Your main problem with foamcore is going to be the edges. You'll have to fill and sand and fill and sand and fill and sand a ton to get them smooth. If you plan on molding the nicer your master is the less work you have to put in on each shell you pull later.

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London

Proton Props UK

I would like to apologise to everyone for the dela[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

How feasible would it be for Hasbro to release &[…]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack? I[…]