I just finished printing the first part. It took 15 hours to do so, and there are several parts that will take longer. I'm aiming to have the pack done in time for WonderCon next year, since while I enjoyed my handmade pack for WonderCon 2016, I want something cleaner and more professional. My Malcolm Reynolds cosplay for WonderCon this year featured my first entirely 3D printed prop, but it was small compared to a proton pack. I'm scaling way up and this next year should be very interesting. I suspect that it won't take me nearly as long to make this pack as the handmade pack did, but that is TBD for sure. I'm still governed by the same restrictions from working full-time as I was when I built my handmade pack, but the printer will make things a lot easier since I don't have to do most of the work.

Anyway, here goes nothing...

xoff00, rayp_Stantz liked this
Best of luck. I printed a lot of my wand parts and lots of knobs, clippards, etc and and was very happy with the end results.
viewtopic.php?t=39403

What kind of printer do you have? I have the monoprice maker select (wanhao i3) and it gave me just short of a year of good printing and now it board is completely fried. Have a RAMPS 1.4 on order and will be switching it out. Assuming that goes well I will them add a full metal hot end and do a couple other upgrades I have been meaning to do.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Do yourself a huge favor and get the part below. The monoprice/wanhao printer is great but is not properly designed to power the heated bed long term. I had two melted connectors and now some sort of short all from running more current than the board is capable of handling. I bought the part below to help prevent this issue with my new ramps board and wish somebody had told me to do the same 10 months ago it would have saved me some heart ache. If you don't believe me just search for melted connectors on melzi boards.

This thing bypasses the board for the heated bed power so even if this dies it's an easy $10 fix instead of a full board replacement that I now have to do.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT ... UTF8&psc=1

There are even fancy instructions on how to replace now. Again I wish this were around a while ago.
http://3dprinterwiki.info/wiki/wanhao-d ... fet-board/
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

slicerd1 wrote:Do yourself a huge favor and get the part below. The monoprice/wanhao printer is great but is not properly designed to power the heated bed long term. I had two melted connectors and now some sort of short all from running more current than the board is capable of handling. I bought the part below to help prevent this issue with my new ramps board and wish somebody had told me to do the same 10 months ago it would have saved me some heart ache. If you don't believe me just search for melted connectors on melzi boards.

This thing bypasses the board for the heated bed power so even if this dies it's an easy $10 fix instead of a full board replacement that I now have to do.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT ... UTF8&psc=1

There are even fancy instructions on how to replace now. Again I wish this were around a while ago.
http://3dprinterwiki.info/wiki/wanhao-d ... fet-board/
I never got around to thanking you for this. I'm going to need the upgrade for my upcoming 24+ hour prints so this is something I'll be doing in the near future. Thanks.

In the meantime, after a long delay caused by a bunch of other stuff IRL, here's my PPD.

rayp_Stantz liked this
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:Are you designing the parts yourself?

Why are the parts going to take 24 hours to print? Are they solid or mostly hollow?
I'm using files from Thingiverse.

Some of the parts will take quite a while to print because of how big they are. The booster base, for example, is split into two parts because I only have an 8x8x8 print area. The two parts will each take at least 25 hours to print. It's a slow process. The PPD took a little over 3 hours. The booster slope took about 15.

Also, they're not solid but they're not completely hollow either. The interior is basically honeycombed.
I have the Wanhao i3 and the longest print I have done is around 8 hours.

My teflon tube recently went bad so I replaced my hot end with an all metal one. It took a bit of fiddling to finally get that working.

I am waiting for the heated bed upgrade before I do any more printing.
I did not use the Thingiverse files except for the wand handles.

I have been trying to learn the software to make the 3D parts so I made my own files. Not for everything but for certain components. I have been drawing up the parts so they take up the least amount of material to print as possible. I have also broken up some parts into multiple parts. There is more assembling of parts but the print time of the parts is shorter so if it fails it is not as big a loss than one big part.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]