By Gozerhead
I am looking to build a pack and am leaning towards the kit from Benofkent. Other than a homemade pack, I don't have a ton of prop building experience, but I do have some solid tools and patience.

This is strictly a build out of want and not need - I am not in a GB group or anything. I do dress up as GB for Halloween and my house exterior is GB themed. I do have a plan to display it in my house.

I am trying to be economical about a solid build, and the Benofkent kit seems like a great fit. I love the price point, what it comes with, and that there is a lot of prep work done with the shell and motherboard. I plan to go with additional resin parts.

Is there any reason I should further investigate other options? Lights and speakers are out of my price range right now. I can invest about $600 ish into the initial purchase.

Thanks!
By Chris Brewin
For that kind of budget, there seem to really only be 2-3 choices for a pack from what I've seen. I'm a new member (joined around Christmas) so I may not have seen every option, nor have I looked into every pack build thread here. I'm also where you seem to be; I've got some decent tools, I don't mind going out to get one or two more, but I'm fairly new to prop-making so I'm cautious about how happy I will be with the final product after muddling through the project.

From my research, here's what I've found:

Option 1) You say you've got some solid tools and patience. Check out Astyanax's Low-budget build. I think he totalled it to be about $450 USD before electronics and his aim was to use simple, inexpensive, easily-found materials with simple tools and techniques.

Option 2) For that price point, and an electronics-free kit, Anovos is accepting pre-orders for kits at your price point exactly.

I had ordered one because it was a good price for what looks like a solid replica kit and they have payment plan options. Anovos has a pretty strong reputation with their Star Wars replicas. Many of their Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica offerings are really well done, too. I'm also a member of the Starfleet 1701stforum and was looking into Anovos' Monster Maroon. The 1701st had found a lot of little things that Anovos got wrong despite having access to "screen-used" assets, or there were flaws in production.

I was concerned that the pics they show are only of the prototype and not of the production unit. After discussing this, and Anovos in general with other members of both forums, I was also concerned that they sometimes seem to use the "pre-order" system as a way to crowd-fund the production of their wares rather than dumping money they already have into production but simply allowing customers to pay for theirs before the wares are ready for shipping. I did some more research into kits and finally decided to cancel my order.

Instead, I went with...

Option 3) BenofKent Props.
I went with Ben for a few reasons. 1) The price for the kit (as I want to actually assemble it myself and put my own finishing touches on it) isn't too far from the Anovos kit when you take currency conversions into account. 2) I follow BoK Props on Facebook and have had a chance to see the feedback he gets from customers, the skill and workmanship that goes into the packs and chat with him about the kits and his business in general. 3) I have confidence in his product; he's been making packs for over 10 years and distributing them to people all of the world. This means he's had plenty of opportunity to get feedback and make changes to build a better pack. They're con-tested and robust. His attention to detail and accuracy is also a big selling feature. I've also heard from a few personal friends that his stuff is great.

I haven't got his pack yet, but I've ordered one and am expecting it in the fall, so look for a build thread from me.

Anyway... enough "bashing" of Anovos and ego-stroking of Ben. If you go with Ben's kit, I think we'll both be extremely satisfied with our purchases.
By barison82
You can't go wrong with a BenofKent Props kit - my own custom Pack build is being done by them and I can back up everything that Chris has mentioned above.
By MarkMjsy
You really can't go wrong with a BenofKent kit. I did a lot of research for months before I decided to get mine and hands down it was the best choice.
Kit and parts are to a very high standard of detail and are casted very well. The customer service you get from Ben is second to none. Nothing is too much trouble and he is on hand all the time for any help which you may need. I highly recommend to anybody which is looking for a resin based kit to check out Ben's Facebook page and get in contact with him.
:cool:

Or if you bought the access pack you get them inst[…]

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]