My friends and I have decided to create outfits for Halloween and I'm getting pumped for this build: especially after seeing what some others have done with the sound.

I've always been obsessed with that initial power-on sound ever since I heard it in the movie, and it seems that some have not only done the sound, but venting, overheating, party-mode (what?!) it's crazy.

I've been through this website a bit, and while I've seen some excellent builds on a proton pack, I haven't seen any step-by-step for getting proper sound in the pack. I'm looking for something with some bass, so when you flip that switch on at a party, people gonna move away ("oh jeez, is that thing real?").

I'm not an electronic expert by any means, but I was able to create motion sensor lighting for my stairs at home with an arduino. I did find and get a set of plans by John Fin, but his 13 page pdf has one page for "the hard way" and then another half-page with confusing wiring. I'm looking for that step-by-step with a grocery list so I know what to get, how to wire/program it, and how to wire it up.

Does anyone have a good link or source that would be willing to point me in the right direction? Thank you! :cool:
Welcome! Take a look through a number of builds. Most of us use the GBFans electronics kits with the speaker available in the shop here. You can really use any speaker you want (I believe 8ohm is what you are looking for). When I power mine up at cons when I walk in, it ALWAYS turns heads. I eventually have to fix the photo links in my hero build thread, but for now, I’ll post a pick of the electronics inside.

I have those two speakers wired in parallel since I had them left over from my first pack. Any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask!
Last edited by thebigone2087 on July 18th, 2017, 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oh buckets! That's a serious speaker! I'll bet you get lotsa looks!

So would I buy all the electronic parts to get a lights & sound pack? It seems silly that they wouldn't have like a "Buy these parts from us to build the electronics that you want!" section.

I'm working on a parts list right now, and it seems that I've just gotta get the right speaker before I can click the "buy stuff!" button. (Then aside from that I've gotta do everything else)
Yeah, the shop has an electronics section so you’d need the sound board, pack lights, and wand lights, plus the speaker. It really is VERY easy to install everything and that little speaker they sell it’s out some serious volume. But again, you can use any speaker you want as long as it is rated 8ohms.
I am really glad you made this post. I've been looking all around and have been having a hard time finding out what to do about adding sound and base. I want mine to rumble and give that awesome idle sound effect.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Yes, most people use the GBFans Light and Sound kit. I'm not sure how you would do sound with an Arduino, you might need additional addons.... Raspberry Pi could probably do all your lights and sounds. I think it's just easiest to invest in the GBFans sound and light board..

For speakers you can use some small car door speakers if they are low profile, Walmart usually sells some cheap ones.
People usually mount 1 speaker below the cyclotron lights like in the above photo, and sometimes a 2nd one in the top portion in the pack, space dependent.

For best sound, you have to make sure the speaker has some small 1/4" spacers that lift it away from the motherboard and give it clearance (So the speaker cone doesn't make contact with the motherboard as it's moving), you also will have to drill "speaker holes" in your motherboard for the sound to exit the pack (Google speaker hole template, resize, print, use as guide for drilling)

A sweet thing about the GBFans Soundboard is it's aux input..... you can use an aux cable to connect to your phone or even better yet...

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Wireles ... iver&psc=1

I have one of these on mine connected to the aux input, they are rechargeable and let you connect your phone wirelessly via bluetooth to play music through the pack.
There are some good builds on this forum with people doing their own lights, either using and Arduino, or simply sticking with the more traditional relays and timer chips. I followed Propcicles build, and managed to get his code and build working for me (although I'm re-writting it...I find that code writting is a rather personal thing, like making your own bed, so to speak) . As for sound, you can look up Adafruits sound boards. They're easy enough, and if you are not looking to do anything too fancy with lights, this might be the way to go.

The kits are another option, the easy way no doubt. But, if you like a challenge, and have no problem sitting for three day trying to figure out how to improve a build, or make it work for that matter :blush: , making your own electronics is cool. Plus, it gives you a tremendous sense of self-satisfaction.

If you cant understand John Finns graph, draw it yourself, one part at a time. It will help you see each component more independently, help you understand why it's there. Then you will be able to understand the diagram as a whole.

Hope this helps.
propcicle liked this
If I may throw in here...... I spent nearly an entire year playing with the electronics. I got close, almost, kinda looks ok, and finally, screw it. If your well versed in the programming and wiring, go for it. If you're like me and really enjoy beating your head on your workbench trying to learn, all the while trying to apply the crawl steps into a full blown sprint project, it may be worth the adventure.

With all that said, I finally bought the GBFans kits and couldn't have been happier. I value the skills and lessons learned but I truly wish I would've just cut to the chase and got the kits. The kit will drive the bass you're looking for. It's pretty damn loud out of the box.

Good luck with whichever path you choose. Post your projects and keep it rolling.
propcicle liked this

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]

Hard to tell if it’s an actual black fligh[…]

Positron Props GB1 Pack Build

Awesome!! Good luck on your build! Tom's shell i[…]

Trailer posted for release for the Frozen Empire u[…]