By GBDRE760
Hey guys. I know of a lot of people that use Sintra to build props and stuff. I also know it can be cut with an exacto knife and heated with a heat gun to do curves and whatnot. Has anyone here ever worked with Sintra before and if so, do you think it will be able to stand up to making a decent looking proton pack on a budget?
By hooker
Sintra overall can be a great material for a scratch build. It has it's pros and cons like any other material but can used to make a great looking prop. I myself prefer styrene for most of my scratch builds as it also requires basic hand tools but is far more time consuming to work with. My main "con" for sintra is getting a quality finish out of it as sanding can be a bit of an issue. Since the Proton Packs themselves aren't exactly a smoothest of finishes it works decent for that prop. Structurally, it will never be as strong as a fiberglass pack but it will hold up to light duty. If you are looking to wear it out for a night or just hang it on the wall you will be fine. If you are planning on going to Cons or congested events I would expect some repairs down the line. I have scratch built packs out of many materials so it can be done and done well if time and care it put into it. Scratch building a pack is extremely satisfying.
GBDRE760 liked this
By GBDRE760
@hooker, Is styrene more durable? Is it something that Can take a little more abuse? I would like to build a pack for Halloween but I am also thinking of going to San Diego Comic con some time. I want to build one that doesn't cost so much, is nearly scream accurate, and possibly the most expensive parts are the very distinct resin casted parts.
By hooker
Styrene is very durable and bonds strong with solvent. You can also line the inside of the finished shell with fiberglass or other materials to make it pretty solid. There are some things you should consider before taking on styrene as well...
+Styrene is cut mainly by making a few scoring passes with an exacto knife and using a bend and snap method to break apart
- Cutting and bonding pieces can take considerably longer compared to other materials
+Styrene sands very well for smooth precise straight lines
- Being a hard plastic makes it much more difficult to cut round and organic shaped items. Sanding will be required after each cut
+ Styrene can be found and most plastic suppliers, Amazon, hobby stores etc...
- Can be considerably more expensive when bought in small quantities at hobby stores and in comparison to other materials

The best advice I have for any material is to take your time and get a feel for the material. I wouldn't expect to pound out a new scratch build in a weekend. With any material, just take your time and really try and focus on each piece you cut out.
By Alex Newborn
A friend donated some Sintra when I was mounting my sons' packs to their Alice frames. I liked how easy it was to cut and sand edges for the motherboards. But I tried to use it for detailed pieces, and noticed there's a problem when you try to sand into the smooth flat side instead of the narrow width. It's sort of a porous look that doesn't take paint well.

Alex

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]