By JFrench
Hey all,

I've scoured the boards for an answer, but came up short, so please forgive the new post. Feel free to direct me to the thread I likely missed.

My 5/yo son chose GB for our annual family group Halloween costumes. He's going to use the new Spirit proton pack, but I'm building packs for the wife and I.

I'm having a bit of analysis paralysis on the Alice frames. Seems there are alot of "Chinese knock-offs" floating around that don't hold up (at least in hiking conditions). However, I can't seem to source any US-made milspec frames, even used. I guess my question is, should I simply purchase two frames from the GBFans store for peace of mind? I was only avoiding it because of the possible wait in delivery due to the Halloween season.

Amazon has $39.99 Rothco frames that can arrive in two days with Prime, but they have some fairly negative reviews.

Any pro-tips are appreciated.
Noremon liked this
By Terrace
Honestly, I'd go with the ones from the GBFans Shop. Since you're worried about arrival times, you should know the Shop usually posts an Order-By date as Halloween draws near. Since it hasn't yet, you should be able to get your frames from them with plenty of time to spare.
By JFrench
That's my current focus. I live in Atlanta, so I've already been to Tru-Spec's retail outlet. Great for flightsuits, but they were out of Alice frames. Searching the other area surplus stores tomorrow. Fingers-crossed.
By B-Rad
I bought a rothco Alice from my local surplus store as thats all they had. After getting it home and looking it over more thoroughly it just felt off. I asked AJ to see if the ones sold in the shop were the same and this is what he told me:

"Ours are not Rothco. The ones we sell are made by Atlanco / Tru-Spec.

Most all ALICE Frames are the same. Though the ones that Rothco sells are made from a thinner metal than the ones we sell.

Many users of the Rothco brand find their frames breaking around the top rivets. However, if you are only using it for a Spirit Halloween pack, you should be okay."

I ended up returning what I got to the surplus store and will be picking up a frame from the shop when I'm ready to starting modding.
By khazara
I bought my Alice frame last month from eBay user armed_forces_supply for $45 shipped, including shoulder straps and kidney pad. I specified Olive Drab and received a set of both olive drab & camo shoulder straps.
By hutto
I bought mine from a surplus store. Doesn't have mounting holes in the bottom.

I drilled holes in it last night and it's a massive pain to figure out how to get carriage bolts in there. I might mount them backwards and use wingnuts, or a locking nut.
By DeLoreanDMC81
I agree with what has been said here, just check out your local surplus store or check on eBay.

I was lucky enough to find an original LC-1 frame, strap, bag at Smith & Edwards here in Brigham City, Utah. Then a few days after that I bought an original LC-1 set up on ebay.

So they are out there, just gotta have the patience to find them.

The crumby thing is that 99.8% of the time you're going to find an LC-2.

Good luck with your search.

James

I ended up grabbing one of the 84 wands just t[…]

Matty PKE Question...URGENT

Depending on the price, it might be worth snatchin[…]

I have a full sized spirit pack, and I have the gh[…]

If you need any clarification at all, PM me or […]