Tonights Episode will be called "Fun With Circles" Thats right Ghostheads, its cyclotron time! First i laid out a 10" cirle and then a 9" circle inside it to act as the cyclotron step. I began cutting the 9" circle first using a No15 Xacto blade.....

Imagepack029 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

Took a little bit of time and effort, but I got a decent circle out of it.

Imagepack030 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

I laminatd the new circle on top of the one that I cut outta the sync/gen so I could get the right thickness to sand in the contour.

Imagepack031 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

I cut a 2" strip from the styrene sheet and bent it around a section of 3" PVC. then I used the cut out section as a jig to hold the wall in place while I glued it all together........

Imagepack032 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

Repeated the process with a .275 strip to get a .5 high step around the cyclotron

Imagepack033 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

And with that I got a rough cyclotron assembly ready for a lot of sanding and contouring....

Imagepack034 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

And now for the money shot.....its really looking like a proton pack now!

Imagepack035 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr
twmedford23 liked this
Once more time to feed the trolls and listen to the crickets.....lol

I tackled the "dreaded crankgen/gearbox".......

Imagepack036 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

And Hey look! Adetail part I don;t have to make or buy. The knob is from a model railroad powerpack that quit working a long time ago.......

Imagepack037 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

And the obligatory money shot........

Imagepack038 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr
Marcus B liked this
Crank gens look so weird without the tube thingy on them lol. Good progress.
Batfly wrote:Crank gens look so weird without the tube thingy on them lol. Good progress.

Yeah I know.......since I'm doing the larger pieces on the dining room table, I was trying to get the basic shell done before Christmas and go back and do the smaller stuff in my model shop after the holidays. Then Real Life reared its ugly head, I got 32 hours OT this week, and 32 hours OT next week already scheduled, but at least I'll prolly be able to order the thrower electronics after the first of the year....lol
Had an unplanned hospital stay this weekend, but seem to be on the mend, since I had today off thought I might kick up some dust. First of all I decided to get out the sharkskin and round out the cylontron profile........Hey Look! A cakepan!!!!

Imagepack039 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

Next, I used the Mighty Batfly's tehnique of hole saws to cut the washers for the holes in the cylotron. Drill presses and belt sanders are indeed wonderful things to have....

Imagepack040 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

Took some time to cut some PVC, got the blanks done for the basic injectors for the power cell and cut the Booster tube, HGA, and PPD

Imagepack041 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

The last major shell component is th gunmount, so as I was winding down the day, I began the gun mount and spacer......

Imagepack042 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

And now for a money shot.....you can see the booster tube and HGA where they are sposed to be.......

Imagepack043 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr
twmedford23 liked this
And how bout another update? The last majr component of the Shell tha needed doing was the gun mount......so I took care of that........

Imagepack044 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

Then I moved on to the bumper, I admit this was a part of the build Iwas really worried about, I made a posterboard template and cut out the rails for each side.......

Imagepack046 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

Imagepack047 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

I was really worried about scoring an snapping out these pieces as they are fairly intricate, but it only took about an hour and a half to make two of them
twmedford23 liked this
Wow, Nice Work!!! :-D

I'm definitely FAN of Styrene Builds!!! :-D
Why didn't I think about styrene before?
Wow.....with a ew more productive days like today, I could get this thing done! First up was fabricating an N filter out of a pair of 2" couplers......

Imagepack050 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

I usd the template PDF to mark out the holes and drilled them with a step bit....Also put some window screen behind the holes.

Imagepack052 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

I also finished up the bumper and cut the holes in the cyclotron.......

Imagepack051 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

thought this was as good a time as any to make the gunbox bottom and the gun track.....

Imagepack053 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

And how about a moneyshot for the day? Won't be long before I can start bolting this thing together!

Imagepack054 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr
twmedford23 liked this
Yesterday was alll about Round Things.......which really meant that I was cutting sections of 1" PVC to length. The beam line, filler plug, vachose and gearboxlve and the gearbox round thing. Also made up the circles that the Clippard valve and Vachose mount to.

Imagepack056 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

Afterdoing some seam work on the cyclotron I decided I would try faking a weld on the N Filter. I think it turned out pretty good. It was also the first time that I actually used all the AVES putty I had mixed up...........

Imagepack055 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr
Wow been a while since I did an update! Stuff is getting done at an incredible rate. I have a new target date of getting her servicable by May 19, but I hape to have her cosmetically ready by theis weekend.

I began by getting the top half components all bolted together.....

Imagepack057 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

Imagepack058 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

Got it connected to the bottom half, and the shell is now all one piece.......

Imagepack059 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

With a complete shell I could trace the motherboard out onto 1/4 MDF

Imagepack063 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

And getting the MOBO mounted to the frame

Imagepack064 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

Imagepack065 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr
Used aluminum angle brackets to mount the shell to the mobo

Imagepack068 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

Needed to get some detailing done so that I can get the shell painted first up was the booster plug

Imagepack060 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

Then fabricated and detailed the ion arm and HGA

Imagepack061 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

Imagepack062 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

Im the meantime, the MOBO got painted and mounted permanently to the frame

Imagepack069 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

Imagepack070 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

Cut the hole for the thrower loom to access the shell

Imagepack071 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

Then I got the HGA and Iom Arm mounted to the shell

Imagepack072 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

Imagepack073 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

NOW stuff started gettin real. The shell could move on to paint! First primer, then a silver undercoat followed by satin black .....I love it!!!

Imagepack074 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

Imagepack075 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

Imagepack076 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

Now its time to start on some detail! First up my own clippards, basically some styrene scrap from the pack build, 1" schedule 40 PVC cut to length and the cap from a Travel Size Crest Mouthwash......Hmmmm $25 for resin copies or make my own in a couple hours for less than $3????

Imagepack078 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr

Looks pretty good fixin to get mounted on a thrower if I do say so myself!

Imagepack077 by Bart Salmons, on Flickr
Wow!!! NICE!!! :-P
Bart Salmons Ecto46 wrote: June 4th, 2018, 1:29 pm And this past weekend, I took the pack to Wonderfest 2018 in Lousville Ky I garnered a Bronze Award in the modeling contest, which is not bad for a prop that is actually worn and used regularly! The girlfriend and I brought home trophies in the cosplay contest too!
Nice work, Bart. The effort shows. :)

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]